Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
19 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Formo  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:07:54 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl Go to Quoted Post
oh & btw...my kids school made some swift changes to the way people are allowed to enter the building.

as it was, they have a buzzer system on the front door - all doors are locked as soon as school starts.
now, the only door they can go in is the front door in the morning, the superintendent helps the kids out of their cars & watches them walk into the building. i like it! i'm proud that our school did something to better ensure the safety of the kids.

when the kids go out of the class for any reason, they have to wear a lanyard with a pass on it. any visitor has to be buzzed in (they have a camera so they can see who it is) then you go to the office, sign in for whatever purpose, & have to wear a guest pass. again, i like it!

i keep wondering how much longer it'll be before our schools look like prisons.

my kids weren't freaked out about the incident but asked alot of really tough questions. pretty damn sad that a 10 year old kid has to think about this kinda bullshit, isn't it??


It is.

Like I said to Shawn, I have avoided any sort of media attention this scene caused so I could be wrong, but I saw a comment on Facebook that the shooter actually shot out the windows and got in that way. No amount of buzzing/locking doors would have stopped that method of entry.

From the sounds of it, the only possible way to have avoided this tragedy is to have had this monster checked in the psych ward years ago. Clearly he had some major issues that needed addressing.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Porforis  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:18:26 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
From the sounds of it, the only possible way to have avoided this tragedy is to have had this monster checked in the psych ward years ago. Clearly he had some major issues that needed addressing.


Not true. We can ban all firearms, install bulletproof glass at all schools in addition to the previously mentioned precautions. Actually, windows are still a structural weakness, a good ol' fertilizer bomb would still breach them. Better have blast doors and 3-foot thick steel walls with no windows.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:21:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,341
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I have done everything in my power to avoid hearing, looking at or seeing the names or the faces involved. Reading their stories or hearing about how it happened.

Not because I don't care.. because it would throw me into such a fit of anger, sadness and helplessness. Mostly, because there isn't a damn thing I can do to fix it.

Adults dying is one thing.. children dying is completely another.


I too have tried to avoid wading in to the pool of misery. It hurts to think about all those little innocent ones being murdered at a place that thought they would be safe.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:27:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,341
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Yes, which is why basically nobody makes that argument. You can do a pretty damn good job of making the far right look crazy without distorting what they're saying in an attempt to make your point. Can you find any quotes where someone is seriously proposing that they should have the right to own a completely operational and armed tank, cruise missiles, fighter aircraft with weapons systems and weapons intact, naval vessels with either cannons or missiles? Or when people make arguments like this, are they talking exclusively about firearms?


actually I saw some schmo in a gun store on the news last night say he had a right to own anything including a tank. Idiot. I doubt he was smart enough to think of that himself. He heard someone else say it.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:30:08 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,247
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
actually I saw some schmo in a gun store on the news last night say he had a right to own anything including a tank. Idiot. I doubt he was smart enough to think of that himself. He heard someone else say it.


Fox News?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:30:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,341
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
I can't fathom a reason for me to own a machine gun. There is no good reason to, IMO. But if the gubment can own and operate one, damn straight I wouldn't mind having one myself.

We lost our freedoms and liberties when the government achieved the access to items/weapons/etc that we cannot.

Safety vs Freedom. I choose Freedom.


I wouldn't mind owning one of those crappy Reising machine guns that failed so miserably during WWI. Just because of the name. The only thing that keeps me from pursuing it is I figure the lousy weapon caused the death of a few good men. Because of that I can't see owning one.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Cheesey  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:32:29 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl Go to Quoted Post
automatic weapons belong in the hands of our military & possibly some police.

nobody needs a damn machine gun to hunt - if anyone can write/say that with a straight face, well i've got some oceanfront property in arizona i'd love to sell you.



Automatic weapons are already against the law to own. Automatic means it keeps shooting when you hold the trigger. SEMI automatic is where a bullet fires every time you pull the trigger.

Anyway, i don't understand the whole "anti gun" crowd. All you have to do is look at all the countries that have outlawed gun ownership and you see that it does NOT work. The ONLY people then that don't own guns are the law abiding citizens. How does going after good people and taking away their freedoms lower violent crime? Answer:It doesn't. In fact, it causes violent crime to skyrocket. Criminals LOVE unarmed victims.
Truth is, there are bad people in the world. Always have been, always will be. The punk that killed these kids, even the death penalty wouldn't have stopped him. He killed himself, so death was not a deterrent.
My answer? Put at least one armed guard in every school. Then, if some animal comes in, you have someone there to stop them before they can do damage.
Outlawing guns won't stop crime.
It's a "feel good" thing that makes people feel like they are doing something, while in truth they are doing less then nothing. You have to go after the real problem, and it starts in each and every home.
I have owned a gun since i was 16. I'm 55 now. Know how many crimes i have committed? NONE. But if someone breaks into my home, they will be walking into trouble for THEM.
Should i be punished for the actions of a few?
Arn't there already enough laws that say you can't walk into a school and shoot people? Or drive by shoot? Yet these and many other crimes are committed every day in America.
You have to go after the criminals and make punishment bad enough that it will stop at least the sane bad guys.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:32:30 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,247
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Not true. We can ban all firearms, install bulletproof glass at all schools in addition to the previously mentioned precautions. Actually, windows are still a structural weakness, a good ol' fertilizer bomb would still breach them. Better have blast doors and 3-foot thick steel walls with no windows.


Yeah, but you boys don't ever want your taxes raised. I suppose we can safeguard our kids in the fairytale world of trickle down economics, but in the real world all that shit costs big money - and nobody wants to open their wallets. Hell we can't even educate our children yet alone protect them with public school funding.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:38:35 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,752
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

Again.. why not just terminate any person found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of committing a crime involving a gun?

Anyone thinking of using a gun in a crime moving forward would have to consider their fate prior to do so.

Why try to pry the guns from those that lawfully use them? Just start eliminating those that don't.

Sounds cold.. but so are these seemingly endless acts of violence.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Cheesey on 12/18/2012(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:43:03 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Again, arm people in the schools. Train them how to react in this kind of situation. Arming good people will greatly lower any damage a bad guy can accomplish.
Making schools "gun free zones" is stupid. That ONLY keeps the good guys from being able to protect the kids.
After all, how have the "drug free school zones" worked out. (They haven't)
You have to target the REAL problem.
Heck, should we take away all cars because some choose to drink and drive? Of course not. Target the bad people.
The anti gun crowd (like Obama) are using this to have a "reason" to disarm law abiding citizens. That's what our "government" wants.
All dictators.....look at where they start. Disarm the people. That's always first on the list.
Make people dependant on government for as much as possible, and you control them like puppets.

And the fact that the anti gun crowd would lower themselves to use this tradgedy to further their political desires is unthinkable in my view.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:52:49 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Again.. why not just terminate any person found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of committing a crime involving a gun


For the same reason I'm mindboggled when self-proclaimed conservatives say they're pro-death penalty. There's hardly any greater form of government control and power than having the authority to terminate the life of one of its own citizens in the name of justice. Being "tough on crime" or using the whole "eye for an eye" mindset as a twisted form of justice is no excuse for willingly taking the life of someone you already have complete control over (them being in prison in all) and saying that they need to die. It's not murder but it's not a lot better. Don't get me wrong, it would have a positive impact on gun-related violence, but not a dramatic impact. Plenty of gang members and rednecks that don't give a crap or think that their guns and buddies will protect them when the Feds come a knockin'.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:56:58 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
Again, arm people in the schools.


For a person generally pro-gun that has no desire to live in a household with a gun (primarily due to past suicidal tendancies), there's no way I would feel comfortable in a school where anybody but a resident police officer was armed. And even then I'd feel slightly uncomfortable. I had plenty of amazing teachers, but I had enough teachers with questionable mental faculties and questionable ethics to where I would see the gun as a reason to be afraid of the teacher, not to feel safe.

In a perfect world where teachers can be regularly trained in proper use and maintenance of firearms and are held to standards above and beyond those applied to police officers, maybe. In a world like this where teachers are already overworked and we have trained police officers using their gun and badge as an excuse to abuse their power, no. Asking for way too much trouble and we're going to be creating more incidents than we're going to be avoiding.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:57:32 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

When you are talkig about someone that is 100% proven guilty of a crime like this, should they NOT have their life taken away?
I'm a conservative......yet if someone breaks into my home, and threatens me or my wife, am i supposed to just let them do whatever they want? Should i NOT shoot them if they try to attack because i'm a conservative?
Believe me, even the thought of having to kill someone makes me sick. But if it's me or him, guess who it will be?
Conservatives go off to war to protect our country. Should they not do that either? After all, it may mean killing someone.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:00:08 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Posts: 8,552
Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Porforis, then we put trained armed guards in each school.
That would greatly lower any possible violent crime.
Yes, it would cost. But if saving kids means taking away some music or sports activity to pay for it, which is more important?
It could be done, and it would work.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:24:28 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,247
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

I think all that is being asked for by concerened citizens is that automatic weapons are eliminated, yet right away all the freaks come out with their rhetoric about doing away with the 2nd ammendment. It's this over-reaction and refusal for a discussion that irritates me, and it is the same thing with the need to raise our current taxes.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
19 Pages«<23456>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error



Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

12h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

24-Jul / Random Babble / wpr

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.