Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:59:46 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,645
Applause Received: 1,857
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
Should an MVP award go to a player whose team doesn't make the playoff's? Because the Vikes are doubtful.

I am not lobbying for Aaron Rodgers or Cobb. Or any other Packer. But the award is the Most Valuable Player. The Vikings will not be favored in either of their last 2 games and might likely finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs. If AP is made MVP, it means that he took a bad team and 'only' maybe them mediocre. I get that he is their only weapon. Don't care. In my opinion, the MVP needs to get his team to playoffs.

Last I checked it is the MVP award not the MVPOATTMTP award. (Most Valuable Player On A Team That Makes The Playoffs.)

In times past they favored players from winning teams but as time goes by the tend to give it to the player who has the most outstanding season.
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:01:46 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.

As long as we are playing with numbers- I predict after returning the kickoffs AP would be so winded he would miss 1-2 every time or not run as effectively and thus his yards from scrimmage would be reduced by 700-900. [grin1]
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:59:22 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 187
Who cares who gets MVP. It's all about winning games. If you listen to the players all they want is to go to the super bowl. Hell Chris Johnson had 2000 yards and he didn't get MVP. His team was shit too. He probably wanted to make that post season more than 2000 yards. It could be the same exact thing too with the queens, they go 8-8 with nothing but a good running back. Christian Ponder/Vince Young.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:05:13 PM(UTC)

United States
Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.

It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:47:08 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 729
Applause Received: 723
Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post
It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.

My point is merely that Cobb is put in a situation where he SHOULD get ~1,000 all purpose yards in a season via returns, an "opportunity" that players like AP aren't put in to accumulate those stats.

Focusing on all purpose yards, to me, is a little like rating kickers based solely on total points. If you're on an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns, you're getting some "freebee" points each game to pad the stats along with a few field goals. It doesn't necessarily make you a better kicker than someone on an anemic offense. Same with KR/PR yards in an all purpose yardage comparison. If you have the opportunity to do that, you SHOULD be getting an extra 50-125 yards/game.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:05:17 PM(UTC)

United States
My point is merely that Cobb is put in a situation where he SHOULD get ~1,000 all purpose yards in a season via returns, an "opportunity" that players like AP aren't put in to accumulate those stats.

Focusing on all purpose yards, to me, is a little like rating kickers based solely on total points. If you're on an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns, you're getting some "freebee" points each game to pad the stats along with a few field goals. It doesn't necessarily make you a better kicker than someone on an anemic offense. Same with KR/PR yards in an all purpose yardage comparison. If you have the opportunity to do that, you SHOULD be getting an extra 50-125 yards/game.

I guess I agree to the point where the 'hidden' yardage is not really perdominent stat you should go off of. But you should still be considered for those yards because Cobb does play multiple posistions. I mean yards are yards, but whatever way you slice it, those return yards can be a factor just like running the ball.
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:09:41 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 178
Applause Received: 112
The only M.V.P. award I want any of the Packer players in the running for is SUPERBOWL M.V.P.. Nuff Said.
Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:13:05 PM(UTC)

SINCITYCHEEZE said: Go to Quoted Post
The only M.V.P. award I want any of the Packer players in the running for is SUPERBOWL M.V.P.. Nuff Said.

And well said.
Rss Feed