Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 8:48:04 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,053

Ball control does not fall within Capers role.. his role is to stop the offense. He is like the mushroom at the bottom of a sh*tter.. he gets what he gets.. his job is to setup his unit to stop the opposing offense.

But I agree in the grand scheme, go look at the consistently good defenses and what their offense is built around balance and controlling the clock. The defenses of the last couple decades that were dominate.. the 80's Bears, 90's Bucs, Steelers, and Ravens. It is about just running the ball.. it is about clock management and attitude.
Mike McCarthy has been running the ball more and it is helping, last week he didn't keep it as balanced, but to be fair, we also we playing from behind almost from the get go. But yes, he still wasn't as patient as he could have been. I expect a heavy dose of Harris early this week to establish that element and overall more balance.

But that still doesn't stop AP when he is on the field.

Unless you are saying he is an unstoppable force (which I believe is bullsh*t) and that we just need to accept that he is going to roll through our defense.

AP deserves at least a share of the league MVP, but he is still just a man and can be dropped to the turf.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 10:05:15 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 209
Applause Received: 350

Oh and don't start Ryan Grant at running back.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline zombieslayer  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 9:22:24 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

How many times do I have to explain this to you knuckleheads - STOP THE PASS. Who cares about the run?

See, I studied something called History. With History, you learn with FACTS, NOT EMOTIONS.

Fact - we beat the Vikings the first time we played them despite AD running for 210 yards and a TD. Why? We stopped the pass. Ponder threw for only 119 yards and he gave us 2 INTs.

Fact - the Vikings beat us the 2nd game because we were so worried about AD that we forgot to cover the pass. AD got his 199 yards and a TD, but Ponder threw for 234 yards and 3 TDs.

Fact - we beat the Vikings last year @ MN when AD ran for 175 yards and a TD. However, Ponder gave us 2 INTs that game.

Fact - we smeared the Vikings last year in GB because we started off the game with a 14-0 lead in the 1st Q. AD only got 14 carries because they abandoned the run BECAUSE THEY HAD TO IN ORDER TO CATCH UP.

These are four, count them, four facts. My thesis statement from these four facts are if you stop the Vikings' passing game, you win the game. AD will get his yards.

Let him.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 10:05:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,542
Applause Received: 639

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
How many times do I have to explain this to you knuckleheads - STOP THE PASS. Who cares about the run?

See, I studied something called History. With History, you learn with FACTS, NOT EMOTIONS.

Fact - we beat the Vikings the first time we played them despite AD running for 210 yards and a TD. Why? We stopped the pass. Ponder threw for only 119 yards and he gave us 2 INTs.

Fact - the Vikings beat us the 2nd game because we were so worried about AD that we forgot to cover the pass. AD got his 199 yards and a TD, but Ponder threw for 234 yards and 3 TDs.

Fact - we beat the Vikings last year @ MN when AD ran for 175 yards and a TD. However, Ponder gave us 2 INTs that game.

Fact - we smeared the Vikings last year in GB because we started off the game with a 14-0 lead in the 1st Q. AD only got 14 carries because they abandoned the run BECAUSE THEY HAD TO IN ORDER TO CATCH UP.

These are four, count them, four facts. My thesis statement from these four facts are if you stop the Vikings' passing game, you win the game. AD will get his yards.

Let him.

What you say is true, and I agree with it.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be manning up and tackling the dude. I'd still key on him to some extent.

Forcing Ponder to pass is not mutually exclusive with stopping their passing game. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:56:12 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Let him.

I think we need to cool the jets on stopping one person because frankly it doesn't work. We don't need to flood the box everytime. Cause if 1 guy, count em 1 guy doesn't tackle it could spring AP loose. Just let the front 7 do their job, the linebackers and Dline have been playing better. We can't count on that secondary to do everything, of course Woodson will help there but still.

I think Dom should stop the pass in this game too. Challenge them to run the ball, play your game Dom. Use those combo coverage's early and blitz the f*ck out of him later.
zombieslayer on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:15:47 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

It is my belief, that without the benefit of the play action, Ponder at this point cannot beat us.. so if we stop Peterson..

So ordinarily I would agree with the concept, but I just don't think Ponder with a bum elbow (listed as questionable) and playing in his first cold weather game can beat us.

So alas.. stop Peterson.. we improve our chances significantly. Hence the thread on this game.

Quote:

Injury Report

Christian Ponder, QB Questionable Jan 4
Comment: Ponder (elbow) was limited for a third consecutive practice Friday and is listed as quesitonable for Saturday's playoff game at Green Bay. However, he's expected to start. "I think he'll be all right," head coach Leslie Frazier told ESPN 1500 am Twin Cities on Thursday. "He's going to do everything he can to make sure he's ready to go. He's doing a lot more stuff mentally than physical right now. But he should be fine."

Edited by user Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:01:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:22:28 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

You won't stop Peterson. EVERY DC IN THE NFL thinks they can stop Peterson and what happens? Peterson gets his yards and Ponder finds people wide open.

So, don't.

Someone please even try to refute the facts I posted up there. I can go back years too. Every year, it's the same thing. GB vs Vikings - Peterson gets his yards, we win because we stopped the pass. The exceptions - well, there are 3 of them. Brett Favre throws for 7 TDs vs 0 INTs in 2 games and we lose them both (2009). Ponder has a 100+ rating last week and we lost that one.

So, stop the pass. AD will get his yards. AD = best player in the NFL, and that's not even debatable. These sports writers who are saying otherwise should be force-ably sterilized because one generation of idiots is enough.

Refute those facts I shared. I dare ya.

(I only went back 2 years because I'm lazy, but if you want to go back longer, you'll see the same thing - stop the pass and you beat the Vikings. Key in on stopping Peterson and you lose. Brett Favre sweep in 2009. Christian Ponder victory in 2012. What did those 3 games have in common? Anyone?)
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Wade on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:54:35 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,542
Applause Received: 639

You won't stop Peterson. EVERY DC IN THE NFL thinks they can stop Peterson and what happens? Peterson gets his yards and Ponder finds people wide open.

So, don't.

Someone please even try to refute the facts I posted up there. I can go back years too. Every year, it's the same thing. GB vs Vikings - Peterson gets his yards, we win because we stopped the pass. The exceptions - well, there are 3 of them. Brett Favre throws for 7 TDs vs 0 INTs in 2 games and we lose them both (2009). Ponder has a 100+ rating last week and we lost that one.

So, stop the pass. AD will get his yards. AD = best player in the NFL, and that's not even debatable. These sports writers who are saying otherwise should be force-ably sterilized because one generation of idiots is enough.

(I only went back 2 years because I'm lazy, but if you want to go back longer, you'll see the same thing - stop the pass and you beat the Vikings. Key in on stopping Peterson and you lose. Brett Favre sweep in 2009. Christian Ponder victory in 2012. What did those 3 games have in common? Anyone?)

AP will get his yards, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't contain him.

Let him take 8:00 off the clock to get 60 yards, rather than doing it all in one play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:03:12 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

No one needs to refute those "facts"... there is a reason I posted this for this game. Ponder is winged... it will be even more dependent upon AP to keep them in it. To be clear... to me.. 100 and a score is containing him.

This thread has two purposes.. one.. take away the Vikings on facet.

Second, to give those that want to walk Capers a platform to tell him how to fix it.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:26:53 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

But Zombie.. want a fact.

The Packers ran over 20 times the first game they played the Vikes.. won.. ran 16 times the second game.. lost.

Now.. prove that fact wrong.. or the many that I have posted with regards to running the ball over 20 time vs under and the winning percentages between the two. Your not the only one that pays attention to history. Big Grin

Edited by user Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:46:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:08:16 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 289
Applause Received: 241

Here's my thoughts as Dom Capers on how to stop AP:

Look, the dude's not married, right? Fill his Green Bay hotel bed with a couple of hot bodies to wear him out all night, then he won't have the legs to last four quarters.

Packerchick? 4PackGirl? Whistle

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer on 1/5/2013(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:27:56 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
But Zombie.. want a fact.

The Packers ran over 20 times the first game they played the Vikes.. won.. ran 16 times the second game.. lost.

Now.. prove that fact wrong.. or the many that I have posted with regards to running the ball over 20 time vs under and the winning percentages between the two. Your not the only one that pays attention to history. Big Grin

Holy No Ability to Stay On Topic Batman!

We're talking about Dom Capers and stopping the Vikings.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#28 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:31:52 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
Here's my thoughts as Dom Capers on how to stop AP:

Look, the dude's not married, right? Fill his Green Bay hotel bed with a couple of hot bodies to wear him out all night, then he won't have the legs to last four quarters.

Packerchick? 4PackGirl? Whistle

Appears Macbob has been reading Lawrence Taylor's autobiography. Applause
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#29 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:47:46 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

OK, I can't make it any more clear than this. When the Vikings' QB has a solid day, we lose. When the Vikings' QB has a bad day, we win. AD cannot be stopped. We never stopped him before and we probably won't stop him until 2016.

AD has run 200+ yards and 170+ yards in defeats. It doesn't matter what AD does. What matters is what their QB does.

Here you go. I went back 4 years and there's not a single exception to my thesis. Not one.

Quote:

Brett Favre 24-31-271-3-0 Result - 30-23 Vikings
Brett Favre 17-28-244-4-0 Result - 38-26 Vikings

Brett Favre 16-29-212-1-3 Result - Packers 28-24
Brett Favre 17-38-208-0-1 Result - Packers 31-3

Christian Ponder 13-32-219-2-2 Result - Packers 33-27
Christian Ponder 16-34-190-0-1 Result - Packers 45-7

Christian Ponder 12-25-119-1-2 Result - Packers 23-14
Christian Ponder 16-28-234-3-0 Result - Vikings 37-34

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#30 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:55:56 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 673
Applause Received: 688

What zombieslayer said.

What nerdmann said.

Plus if the Packers are up by 17-21 at the half, it won't matter.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)