Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CaliforniaCheez  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:45:04 PM(UTC)
The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Will McCarthy fire him and get a better OLB coach?
all_about_da_packers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:50:41 PM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez said: Go to Quoted Post
The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Perhaps the most sensible thread of the night (I'm serious).

Clay has absolutely been horrible at containment. I get he has the athleticism and motor to make things happen from scratch, but he has generally been horrendous at playing containment.

I would guess 'No' because McCarthy seems to be loyal, and Green has done a good enough job to help his players develop (especially Moses this season). But, boy, based on what I was seeing tonight Kevin Green would be the first coach on defense who has some serious explaining to do.
dyeah_gb  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:58:15 PM(UTC)

I think this a valid question. I see a pattern here that the question "should xxx be fired" should be applied to just about every element of the staff. This is not just a reactionary. It really is a matter of thinking critically about what this team believes it is capable of and how much practice and preparation helps bring the team to its full potential. In the end, any staff changes should not be a vindication of a playoff loss (like DC with 4th and 26), it should be about pointing this team in the right direction to get a title.
gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:04:20 PM(UTC)

Walden was pulled after colin's long td run, moses replaced him. defense did not improve. just sayin
CaliforniaCheez  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:14:37 PM(UTC)
Matthews is a one trick pony.
Has he improved since he was a rookie?
Has he learned yet how to properly stretch his hamstrings before playing or are they always getting injured?
Can he cover anyone in space better?
Does he play under control or over run plays?

Do Walden and Zombo really lack the talent or could they improve with better coaching?

Why would a rookie like Moses show so much discipline? Is it because he has the least amount of Kevin Greene coaching?
gbguy20  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:16:22 PM(UTC)

Has he learned yet how to properly stretch his hamstrings before playing or are they always getting injured?

Do Walden and Zombo really lack the talent or could they improve with better coaching?

Why would a rookie like Moses show so much discipline? Is it because he has the least amount of Kevin Greene coaching?

uihauhauhauhaahaha
wpr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:55:54 AM(UTC)
I am always willing for the Packers to improve whether it be changing player personnel or position coaches or coordinators.
Not sure all the OLB failures are Greene's fault. Not sure a different position coach would have made a difference.

CM3 is exactly what they knew he would be. A pass rusher from the LB position who occasionally is in the right place to tackle the RB as he comes his way. hat he is not is a guy who can do everything and excel at it.

I don't see how he can be a pass rusher and still stay outside to watch contain. They seem to be two different responsibilities. If he vacates his position to pressure the QB some one else (A safety?) has to rotate out and cover contain.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
I'd rather see Kevin Greene as the DC than fired.
play2win  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:45:24 AM(UTC)

Seems more a personnel issue overall. Last year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. This year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. How many years does this go unaddressed? Well, I can count two in a row now. Unaddressed.

I know we drafted Perry. We needed more. Way more. And when players go down with injury, it is the GM's responsibility to find another player at the position. Didn't happen, two years in the running.

Can anyone here believe we are STILL talking about Walden and Zombo???!!!!

Fucking A!!!!!!
gbguy20  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:20:36 AM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Seems more a personnel issue overall. Last year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. This year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. How many years does this go unaddressed? Well, I can count two in a row now. Unaddressed.

I know we drafted Perry. We needed more. Way more. And when players go down with injury, it is the GM's responsibility to find another player at the position. Didn't happen, two years in the running.

Can anyone here believe we are STILL talking about Walden and Zombo???!!!!

Fucking A!!!!!!

So we needed more after we drafted Perry? who should we have skipped in the draft then? Hayward? Worthy?

You guys can bitch and bitch all you want saying that certain needs aren't addressed. Almost our entire draft went defense, and man did our draft produce this year. Sure, when Perry went down as you said Ted Thompson could have went out and replaced him, but you seem to forget, there isn't all that many talented free agent gems out there in the middle of the season. I understand everyone is frustrated, but at least be realistic with your demands.
play2win  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:26:53 AM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
So we needed more after we drafted Perry? who should we have skipped in the draft then? Hayward? Worthy?

You guys can bitch and bitch all you want saying that certain needs aren't addressed. Almost our entire draft went defense, and man did our draft produce this year. Sure, when Perry went down as you said Ted Thompson could have went out and replaced him, but you seem to forget, there isn't all that many talented free agent gems out there in the middle of the season. I understand everyone is frustrated, but at least be realistic with your demands.

There is more to building a playoff winning team than the draft. When was Perry lost for the season? What did Ted do to replace him?

Damn right I will bitch about the stupid shit I witnessed this season. While there was a lot of good, especially with some of the younger guys we brought in, there was a lot of bad.

We did nothing in FA. We made no trades to upgrade our talent. Ted has to own that if he wants to continue to build his team strictly via a draft & develop philosophy. It clearly is not working in totality. Some of it works great, but I think he could provide better balance.
gbguy20  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:32:03 AM(UTC)
There is more to building a playoff winning team than the draft. When was Perry lost for the season? What did Ted do to replace him?

Damn right I will bitch about the stupid shit I witnessed this season. While there was a lot of good, especially with some of the younger guys we brought in, there was a lot of bad.

Like I said, who was there to bring in? No one.
play2win  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:34:15 AM(UTC)
Like I said, who was there to bring in? No one.

He could have tried a trade.
gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:44:15 AM(UTC)
He could have tried a trade.

1)How do you know he didn't?
2)Trades sure happen all the time in the NFL.
3)Who should he have traded for? Who or what should he have given up?
play2win  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:51:21 AM(UTC)
1)How do you know he didn't?
2)Trades sure happen all the time in the NFL.
3)Who should he have traded for? Who or what should he have given up?

The hypotheticals there are immense. Fact of note is he has made none, neither trades nor FA signings, with 2 seasons of the exact same needs staring him right in the face: pass rush opposite Matthews.

True or no? He had time to try to address this even after Perry was lost for the year.

Two years later, we still see Walden and Zombo out there. You may call it "bitching," but these are very real problems, and concerns there are not unfounded.
gbguy20  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:07:20 PM(UTC)
The hypotheticals there are immense. Fact of note is he has made none, neither trades nor FA signings, with 2 seasons of the exact same needs staring him right in the face: pass rush opposite Matthews.

True or no? He had time to try to address this even after Perry was lost for the year.

Two years later, we still see Walden and Zombo out there. You may call it "bitching," but these are very real problems, and concerns there are not unfounded.

The fact that you are holding it against him for not replacing a player midseason is kind of ridiculous, and when you cool off from last night you will realize that. I'll play ball with your other comment though, who should he have signed in the offseason then?
play2win  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:48:08 PM(UTC)
The fact that you are holding it against him for not replacing a player midseason is kind of ridiculous, and when you cool off from last night you will realize that. I'll play ball with your other comment though, who should he have signed in the offseason then?

No, I hold it against Ted Thompson for letting this go on for two years. I like Ted, a lot, but this is exactly what killed us LAST year. Would you not, as GM, have had plans A, B, and C at the ready to increase pass rush, after the worst defense in NFL history was notched up there by YOUR team?

I don't have the answers, but it is clear the one guy who should have didn't either. I'm just a fan, but I've followed this team for 50 yrs. We have a ton of potential, but it all goes to waste when these important areas of the team go unchecked.
Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:55:06 PM(UTC)
I don't think Mike McCarthy will fire Kevin Greene, maybe promote, but not fire. Erik Walden filled in very well for Nick Perry when he was spelled from time to time. No team in the NFL has 22 starting caliber backups at each starting position and DEMANDING as such is absurdly unreasonable.

Kevin Greene is doing fine.
gbguy20  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:58:19 PM(UTC)
How many players could he possibly have at 1 position?
Gaycandybacon  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:38:00 PM(UTC)
I love it. After a loss everyone that is anyone criticizes everyone on the Packers. Even the players that play their hearts out.

Here's my thoughts:

For the defense, for as good as Capers has been the fist 2 seasons with us. We need to find someone new. Maybe even get a whole new defensive staff. Or else this scheme is gonna get picked apart from year to year. It happens guys.
Compared to 2010, injures caught up to us. We lost all our pass rushers and d-line depth plus the secondary didn't play good enough down the stretch, especially in run support.
Rss Feed