You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:45:04 PM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 927
Joined: 9/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 126

The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Will McCarthy fire him and get a better OLB coach?
blank
Sponsor
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:50:41 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,746
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 52

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Will McCarthy fire him and get a better OLB coach?



Perhaps the most sensible thread of the night (I'm serious).

Clay has absolutely been horrible at containment. I get he has the athleticism and motor to make things happen from scratch, but he has generally been horrendous at playing containment.

I would guess 'No' because McCarthy seems to be loyal, and Green has done a good enough job to help his players develop (especially Moses this season). But, boy, based on what I was seeing tonight Kevin Green would be the first coach on defense who has some serious explaining to do.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline dyeah_gb  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:58:15 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 522
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Will McCarthy fire him and get a better OLB coach?


I think this a valid question. I see a pattern here that the question "should xxx be fired" should be applied to just about every element of the staff. This is not just a reactionary. It really is a matter of thinking critically about what this team believes it is capable of and how much practice and preparation helps bring the team to its full potential. In the end, any staff changes should not be a vindication of a playoff loss (like DC with 4th and 26), it should be about pointing this team in the right direction to get a title.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:04:20 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,163
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
The loss in the playoffs to the 49'ers had a lot of plays where their QB just blew past Walden and Matthews. Matthews was on the ground a lot. He and Walden never demonstrated much outside containment or concern for the overall scheme.

Greene just could not get them to show any intelligence or ability to get the job done. Greene did not have them adjust and he never pulled them for their poor performance.

Will McCarthy fire him and get a better OLB coach?


Walden was pulled after colin's long td run, moses replaced him. defense did not improve. just sayin
call me Dan
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:14:37 PM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 927
Joined: 9/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 126

Matthews is a one trick pony.
Has he improved since he was a rookie?
Has he learned yet how to properly stretch his hamstrings before playing or are they always getting injured?
Can he cover anyone in space better?
Does he play under control or over run plays?


Do Walden and Zombo really lack the talent or could they improve with better coaching?

Why would a rookie like Moses show so much discipline? Is it because he has the least amount of Kevin Greene coaching?
blank
Offline gbguy20  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:16:22 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,163
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
Matthews is a one trick pony.
Has he improved since he was a rookie?

Has he learned yet how to properly stretch his hamstrings before playing or are they always getting injured?
Can he cover anyone in space better?
Does he play under control or over run plays?


Do Walden and Zombo really lack the talent or could they improve with better coaching?

Why would a rookie like Moses show so much discipline? Is it because he has the least amount of Kevin Greene coaching?


uihauhauhauhaahaha
call me Dan
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:55:54 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,901
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

I am always willing for the Packers to improve whether it be changing player personnel or position coaches or coordinators.
Not sure all the OLB failures are Greene's fault. Not sure a different position coach would have made a difference.

CM3 is exactly what they knew he would be. A pass rusher from the LB position who occasionally is in the right place to tackle the RB as he comes his way. hat he is not is a guy who can do everything and excel at it.

I don't see how he can be a pass rusher and still stay outside to watch contain. They seem to be two different responsibilities. If he vacates his position to pressure the QB some one else (A safety?) has to rotate out and cover contain.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 1/15/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

United States
Posts: 25,229
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

I'd rather see Kevin Greene as the DC than fired.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:45:24 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,256
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
Matthews is a one trick pony.
Has he improved since he was a rookie?
Has he learned yet how to properly stretch his hamstrings before playing or are they always getting injured?
Can he cover anyone in space better?
Does he play under control or over run plays?


Do Walden and Zombo really lack the talent or could they improve with better coaching?

Why would a rookie like Moses show so much discipline? Is it because he has the least amount of Kevin Greene coaching?


Seems more a personnel issue overall. Last year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. This year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. How many years does this go unaddressed? Well, I can count two in a row now. Unaddressed.

I know we drafted Perry. We needed more. Way more. And when players go down with injury, it is the GM's responsibility to find another player at the position. Didn't happen, two years in the running.

Can anyone here believe we are STILL talking about Walden and Zombo???!!!!

Fucking A!!!!!!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 1/15/2013(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:20:36 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,163
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Seems more a personnel issue overall. Last year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. This year we were in need of pass rush opposite Matthews. How many years does this go unaddressed? Well, I can count two in a row now. Unaddressed.

I know we drafted Perry. We needed more. Way more. And when players go down with injury, it is the GM's responsibility to find another player at the position. Didn't happen, two years in the running.

Can anyone here believe we are STILL talking about Walden and Zombo???!!!!

Fucking A!!!!!!


So we needed more after we drafted Perry? who should we have skipped in the draft then? Hayward? Worthy?

You guys can bitch and bitch all you want saying that certain needs aren't addressed. Almost our entire draft went defense, and man did our draft produce this year. Sure, when Perry went down as you said Ted Thompson could have went out and replaced him, but you seem to forget, there isn't all that many talented free agent gems out there in the middle of the season. I understand everyone is frustrated, but at least be realistic with your demands.
call me Dan
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:26:53 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,256
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
So we needed more after we drafted Perry? who should we have skipped in the draft then? Hayward? Worthy?

You guys can bitch and bitch all you want saying that certain needs aren't addressed. Almost our entire draft went defense, and man did our draft produce this year. Sure, when Perry went down as you said Ted Thompson could have went out and replaced him, but you seem to forget, there isn't all that many talented free agent gems out there in the middle of the season. I understand everyone is frustrated, but at least be realistic with your demands.


There is more to building a playoff winning team than the draft. When was Perry lost for the season? What did Ted do to replace him?

Damn right I will bitch about the stupid shit I witnessed this season. While there was a lot of good, especially with some of the younger guys we brought in, there was a lot of bad.

We did nothing in FA. We made no trades to upgrade our talent. Ted has to own that if he wants to continue to build his team strictly via a draft & develop philosophy. It clearly is not working in totality. Some of it works great, but I think he could provide better balance.
Offline gbguy20  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:32:03 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,163
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
There is more to building a playoff winning team than the draft. When was Perry lost for the season? What did Ted do to replace him?

Damn right I will bitch about the stupid shit I witnessed this season. While there was a lot of good, especially with some of the younger guys we brought in, there was a lot of bad.


Like I said, who was there to bring in? No one.
call me Dan
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:34:15 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,256
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Like I said, who was there to bring in? No one.


He could have tried a trade.
Offline gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:44:15 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,163
Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
He could have tried a trade.


1)How do you know he didn't?
2)Trades sure happen all the time in the NFL.
3)Who should he have traded for? Who or what should he have given up?
call me Dan
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:51:21 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,256
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
1)How do you know he didn't?
2)Trades sure happen all the time in the NFL.
3)Who should he have traded for? Who or what should he have given up?


The hypotheticals there are immense. Fact of note is he has made none, neither trades nor FA signings, with 2 seasons of the exact same needs staring him right in the face: pass rush opposite Matthews.

True or no? He had time to try to address this even after Perry was lost for the year.

Two years later, we still see Walden and Zombo out there. You may call it "bitching," but these are very real problems, and concerns there are not unfounded.

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:01:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.747 seconds.