Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:57:23 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

LT- Derek Sherrod
LG- T.J. Lang
C- Evan Diedrich-Smith
RG- Josh Sitton
RT- Bryan Bulaga

I could see the C being filled by a day 2 draft pick.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:58:37 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

Line up is irrelevant until we get a new line coach.

But yes, for now I'm hoping that is our lineup.
call me Dan
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:08:15 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 173
Applause Received: 128

Has any media given updates on Sherrod?
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:13:20 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,406

LT - Sherrod
LG - Bulaga
C - EDS/Lang/Rookie may the better man win
RG - Sitton
RT - Newhouse/Barclay/Rookie

Van Roten might play into the LG position. I don't think Lang earned his paycheck and LG can be upgraded with Bulaga. I think Newhouse could make a very good RT, but I think LG is a major weakness on our line that Lang didn't solve this season.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:20:48 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

Maybe Barrett Jones will fall in the draft because of torn ligaments. I thought he was the best college football player in the country with the exception of Jadeveon Clowney. He's a game-changer, in my opinion. He plays with the same attitude as Josh Sitton. For example, Sitton is the guy to show up if a defender is trying to pull something dirty. Jones is also unafraid of getting into a defender’s face.
Offline DakotaT  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:00:19 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Barrett Jones will fall in the draft because of torn ligaments. I thought he was the best college football player in the country with the exception of Jadeveon Clowney. He's a game-changer, in my opinion. He plays with the same attitude as Josh Sitton. For example, Sitton is the guy to show up if a defender is trying to pull something dirty. Jones is also unafraid of getting into a defender’s face.

Yeah and he played center, guard, and left tackle. It would be a great pick, but very doubtful he is sitting there for us - God forbid we ever trade up.
UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:49:16 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,172
Applause Received: 547

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Yeah and he played center, guard, and left tackle. It would be a great pick, but very doubtful he is sitting there for us - God forbid we ever trade up.

Yeah, since the Packers never trade up. Ever.

Offline blueleopard  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 12:13:59 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 73

I don't know if that was sarcasm, but you do realize we traded up a lot last year.

I agree with Barrett Jones. His versatility is what Thompson and McCarthy orgasm over. A lot of boards have him as a 2nd rounder. Works for me as a 1st round pick. Don't see Ted getting an interior lineman with the first pick though.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline gbguy20  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 6:28:39 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if that was sarcasm, but you do realize we traded up a lot last year.

Based on the way people have talking out of their asses ever since we lost, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't sarcasm.
call me Dan
Offline yooperfan  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 6:41:39 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 674
Applause Received: 324

My gut feeling is that Sherrod will not start at left tackle next season and the clusterfuck that is the offensive line in Green Bay will continue.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 9:03:18 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

Based on what we have today, and with optimism that players return from injury healthy. I would want to see the following

LT - Sherrod
LG - Newhouse
C - D-Smith
RG - Sitton
RT - Bulaga.

With Lang backup for the left side and Barclay backup for the right.

I would like to see another LT targeted in the early part of the draft, with hopefully Sherrod taking RT and Bulaga and Newhouse fighting out for LG.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 9:34:04 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 164
Applause Received: 269

<-----Only chance to have a decent offensive line next season. Yeah, I am going all-in on a rookie. But the guy played three different positions on the line in the SEC and excelled in every single one.

With him in the rotation, the Packers have a solid center to right tackle combination in Jones-Sitton-Bulaga.
Not sure what could happen at LG, but I am not writing off TJ Lang like most. Left tackle is the position that is truly up in the air (aside from center).

Watching these other games, it is amazing how composed these quarterbacks are in the pocket. Yes, Rodgers is successful at creating second chance opportunities but imagine what he would do with Tom Brady-time to throw the ball. It would be unfair.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 9:46:53 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post

I agree with Barrett Jones. His versatility is what Thompson and McCarthy orgasm over. A lot of boards have him as a 2nd rounder. Works for me as a 1st round pick. Don't see Ted getting an interior lineman with the first pick though.

The last time we traded up from our first round pick to a higher first round pick was for Javon Walker, and it cost us big time. True we traded back up into the first round to snag Matthews, but we were drafting from the 10th spot in the second round to mid-twenties for Clay which is a lot less expensive than going from 27 to 15 in the first round, where I am anticipating Barrett being. Until I see Uncle Ted move up in the first round like Sherman did for Walker, I will continue to believe he is too conservative to do it. He will let the draft come to him in round one and select BPA, like usual.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 11:13:01 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,283

The right side of the line is set and won't change in 2013 without injury.

RG- Josh Sitton
RT- Bryan Bulaga

Bulaga and Marshall Newhouse are Tackles, not Guards and that won't change either. Newhouse is a serviceable Tackle as a backup, not a starter.

I'm fairly confident that T.J. Lang won't play a position other than Guard as a full time starter.

I'm thinking three positions are locks, LG, RG and RT with those mentioned in the earlier post.

LT- Derek Sherrod, that's more of a hope that he proves to be good enough at that position. He is a Tackle, not a Guard as he proved during his rookie season.

C- I haven't a clue if Evan Diedrich-Smith is the answer or believe to be.

I do know that when your QB takes more sacks than any other in the NFL, even with him holding the ball too long ... the OL needs to improve on pass protection.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 6:09:45 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
<-----Only chance to have a decent offensive line next season. Yeah, I am going all-in on a rookie. But the guy played three different positions on the line in the SEC and excelled in every single one.

With him in the rotation, the Packers have a solid center to right tackle combination in Jones-Sitton-Bulaga.
Not sure what could happen at LG, but I am not writing off TJ Lang like most. Left tackle is the position that is truly up in the air (aside from center).

Watching these other games, it is amazing how composed these quarterbacks are in the pocket. Yes, Rodgers is successful at creating second chance opportunities but imagine what he would do with Tom Brady-time to throw the ball. It would be unfair.

This is exactly my thinking. Plus, if a guard goes down, Jones can slide over to replace him. For example, Sitton gets hurt and Jones slides over with EDS stepping in at center. That's a much better solution. I just can't say enough good things about Jones. I would be shocked if he fell into round two. I already watched enough Alabama games to form a strong opinion of him. He's going to be a great one. The only fallback is nobody knows where to play him. Personally, I love him as a center.

Regarding Lang, I think he's a great player to have if he's your fourth best offensive lineman. That works great. Right now, I'd argue he's probably Green Bay's third or second best lineman. That speaks of Green Bay's issues up front.
Rss Feed