Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:14:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Rather than derail a thread with another good topic, let us create one dedicated to the subject, shall we? :)

I've been on the horn for his replacing for years. I think he was the wrong person to teach the zone blocking scheme, seeing as he never played it, nor coached it before and was being taught the scheme by someone else. Plus, I've always preferred big fat powerful offensive linemen over short stubby agile ones.

Who would be a good fit to replace him with the OL personnel that the Packers currently have?
UserPostedImage
Offline RajiRoar  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:40:29 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 246

I hear Jeff Saturday will be looking for work soon...

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Porforis  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:55:18 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I've been on the horn for his replacing for years. I think he was the wrong person to teach the zone blocking scheme, seeing as he never played it, nor coached it before and was being taught the scheme by someone else. Plus, I've always preferred big fat powerful offensive linemen over short stubby agile ones.

This might be my lack of football knowledge shining through, but it seems like our main issue running outside, especially on a toss to the RB is that the blocks develop way too slowly and the defense is in position way before the RB gets close to the LOS. Beyond that, I really don't pay close attention to the O Line except on pass blocking. Are we actually slow, stubby, and not agile, or is that just me?
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:14:02 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

I would honestly pluck a guy out of the college ranks as they are forced year in and out to reconfigure the lines with players coming and going in 3 to 4 year spans. Dealing with change and adjusting is paramount in the game today. Additionally, I would focus on guys that are developing 2,3 or 4 start players over the likes of a Bama where they are only dealing with mostly 5 star guys.

Coaching offensive line is just as much about working together as an entire unit as it is about fundamentals. Communication and understanding of the scheme.. and time after time that seems to be just as big of issue for the Packers under Campen and fundamentals.

I would have jumped at Bob Bolstad before he went to Tampa.

Guys I would have on a short list, but questionable any would come.

Rick Trickett would be near the very top.. but doubtful that he would leave the college ranks.

Ed Warinner has developed good offensive line play at almost every stop.. he I could see stepping out of the college ranks. Bonus here is it hurts Ohio State and Urban Meyer. ;)

Tim Drevno - has a very accomplished track record in working his way through the college ranks.. places like San Diego which was near the top of production in both passing and running under his direction. San Diego doesn't draw many 3 and 4 star players.. yet he turned them into very productive units.

J.B. Grimes - Float the opportunity past this long time veteran coach whom is not adverse to moving around the country.

John Hevesy - Not a long tenured coach.. about 10 years as a offensive line coach in the college ranks, but time after time has gotten results in places like Utah and Mississippi State.

A couple of names that I can think of.

Message modified by user Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:52:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 1/15/2013(UTC), play2win on 1/15/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:29:34 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Can we get Alvarez?

If we drop the outside zone, I wonder if Tauscher could be an Oline coach. He was never a physical specimen, and relied his career on fundamental play.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed