Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
10 Pages«<78910>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online doddpower  
#121 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:55:33 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 466

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I dunno. How do we know that the problem hasn't been Campen but the personnel department (scouts, etc.) who haven't identified the right talent? Maybe with the exception of Sitton, Campen simply has been given average/below-average pro talent to work with? How many failed Packer linemen have gone on to notable improvement post-GB?

There is no way to properly quantify this. But He's been given some nice talent, undoubtedly, imo, especially with guys like Bulaga, who has really struggled being consistent. And then there's the whole flipping players between positions too much, such as Sherrod at guard, when it was always pretty obvious he was a tackle. I think the biggest thing has been the consistency of the offensive line. Sometimes they play great, others, very bad.
Offline Wade  
#122 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:27:26 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 663
Applause Received: 670

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
There is no way to properly quantify this. But He's been given some nice talent, undoubtedly, imo, especially with guys like Bulaga, who has really struggled being consistent. And then there's the whole flipping players between positions too much, such as Sherrod at guard, when it was always pretty obvious he was a tackle. I think the biggest thing has been the consistency of the offensive line. Sometimes they play great, others, very bad.

Is Campen the one responsible for the "flipping approach"? Or is that McCarthy? (I ask because I don't know...who makes those recommendations/decisions, head coach, coordinator, or position coach?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#123 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:17:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,887
Applause Received: 2,086

Kevin Greene wrote:
Does a fat baby fart? Big time. Absolutely. No doubt about it. He's the same guy that took a defense from No. 24 to No. 5, or No. 2, then the Super Bowl year we're No. 5. He's the same guy. This is the same system. I mean, yeah, Dom is without a doubt the right guy. I think that's about it there.

Anyone see the problem with this?
UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:32:49 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 110

http://www.beloitdailyne...2-9a42-0019bb2963f4.html

Here is a compelling argument for getting rid of Capers.It's from my hometown paper in Beloit.This guy has been the sports editor there for years.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#125 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:09:51 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Skinny babies fart too.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#126 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:55:00 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

This is the same system? idk..
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 1/16/2013(UTC)
Offline RajiRoar  
#127 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:27:47 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 233

Ray Horton is available.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Online doddpower  
#128 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:33:18 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
Ray Horton is available.

It would be incredible to land him, but I can't imagine it happening. Why would he go from one defensive coordinator position to another, despite the apparent upgrade in teams. He's likely to end up a head coach somewhere. What's left open out there? I think it would be neat to have Horton or Lovey Smith as defensive coordinator next season, but neither one of those is going to happen. It's going to be Dom Capers, no doubt.
Offline Packers_Finland  
#129 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 2:23:14 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I dunno. How do we know that the problem hasn't been Campen but the personnel department (scouts, etc.) who haven't identified the right talent? Maybe with the exception of Sitton, Campen simply has been given average/below-average pro talent to work with? How many failed Packer linemen have gone on to notable improvement post-GB?

He couldn't get anything out of Saturday for one. And Breno Giacomini is doing fine in Seattle.

As some have said though, it's really hard to quantify. But it's as easy as going: "The defense sucks, get rid of Capers" as it is to say "Campen sucks get rid of him". The OL sucks way worse than our D too.
This is a placeholder
Offline RajiRoar  
#130 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 3:37:53 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
It would be incredible to land him, but I can't imagine it happening. Why would he go from one defensive coordinator position to another, despite the apparent upgrade in teams. He's likely to end up a head coach somewhere. What's left open out there? I think it would be neat to have Horton or Lovey Smith as defensive coordinator next season, but neither one of those is going to happen. It's going to be Dom Capers, no doubt.

Cards hired a new DC, all HC gigs are filled up, he doesn't have much of a choice.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Wade on 1/18/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#131 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 5:55:57 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,887
Applause Received: 2,086

Breno Giacomini doesn't play on defense, nor does he have anything to do Dom Capers. However, he was ranked 69th, lower than all the Packers Tackle's with 25% of snaps played.
UserPostedImage
Wade on 1/18/2013(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#132 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 10:01:03 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 663
Applause Received: 670

Breno Giacomini doesn't play on defense, nor does he have anything to do Dom Capers. However, he was ranked 69th, lower than all the Packers Tackle's with 25% of snaps played.

Ah, so you're trying (again) to get us to stay on topic, are you, Kevin?

Good luck on that. Big Grin

p.s. had to give Finland an applause, even if it were offtopic, for finding a way to bring a Packer OL reject into the conversation. Big Grin

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online doddpower  
#133 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 10:45:20 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
Cards hired a new DC, all HC gigs are filled up, he doesn't have much of a choice.

Yeah, I just saw that this morning. Horton definitely wasn't happy with what went down in Arizona. Well, Horton is obviously going to be an assistant coach again next season, and very likely a defensive coordinator. This presents a perfect opportunity for the Packers to make a move. As I said, just like the Packers and big time free agents, this isn't going to happen, unfortunately. If there's one guy that would require very little transition in terms of scheme, and bring in a fresh up-and-coming mind, this would be the hire. Sometimes being too loyal can be a bad thing, and can ultimately hurt a franchise. I'm not saying this is one of those circumstances, but there's really no reason to believe Horton couldn't do at least as good of a job as Capers, and in the opinion of many, he would likely do a lot better, especially in terms of adjustments.

Oh well, it is what it is. At least Capers defense can beat up on bottom tiered teams.
Offline gbguy20  
#134 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 10:50:11 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

Say we hire Horton, and he works wonders with out defense, how many of you think we get a 2nd year with Horton?

my guess is we don't.
call me Dan
Online doddpower  
#135 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 11:02:08 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Say we hire Horton, and he works wonders with out defense, how many of you think we get a 2nd year with Horton?

my guess is we don't.

If we were able to win a Super Bowl out of the deal, would it really matter? Or does the prospect of Dom Capers for another three years really sound that much better? Perhaps after another couple of horrible defenses playoff collapses?

I understand Dom could use more talent. It makes the job of any coordinator easier with a ton of talent. However, it'd be nice to have someone who could maximize the current talent the Packers have on a consistent level. The Packers do have a lot of talent on defense, and it's hard to imagine other coordinators out there couldn't get more out of it. Dom is and can be a decent coach. Perhaps even really good with a ton of talent. It's just tough for me to ever be that satisfied with "good" or "decent," but perhaps I'm just too impatient. There's probably a reason I don't coach in the NFL. =/

Rss Feed