Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:05:01 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the switch happening. Management likes the 3-4 because it is easier/ cheaper to find 8 LB's than it is to find 8 DL. The 3-4 is arguably better for special teams also because you have more LB's instead of DL available.

Then there is our current roster. CM3 is a special player in the 3-4. In the 4-3, he would be wasted. Much like Aaron Kampman was in the transition the other way. The difference is CM3>>>>> Kampy. So why would you make a change that essentially nullifies your best player? It would be like installing the Wildcat on Offense. If you take Aaron Rodgers away from the ball, the other team wins. Putting Matthews as a 4-3 LB would be to the advantage of the Bears, Lions, etc.

But I've been wrong before. Lots. More than anyone else, I bet. Just ask my wife.

Hey, I was looking up some switch history articles earlier, one on NE's switch to a 4-3, and some commentary about what GB might expect in doing the same. Author had exact same response regarding Matthews. I just do not see it quite like the Kampman thing at all. Matthews is great in coverage. He's also adept at blowing up running plays. But, I do see an advantage to keeping him as a pass rusher in a 3-4. Matthews is a true LB with awesome pass rush skills. Kampman was a true DE with awesome pass rush skills, but not many of those guys can cover well.

We just need better players at a couple of key positions to shore up our weaknesses.

... and my wife would never tell you that I'm ever wrong... [grin1] ugh. I just hope Perry and Worthy come back healthy, and that we can add the right talent at the right positions.
Offline RajiRoar  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:31:30 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 351
we won't go back to a 4-3, Mike McCarthy said something to the effect of wishing he'd switched to a 3-4 earlier. after we hired Dom/fired Sanders.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:04:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 131
Applause Received: 236
One of the advantages for years was that most teams ran a 4-3 so there were more 3-4 type players available for the teams that ran it. The year we switched I believe there were 10 or 12 other teams that also switched. Add this to the teams that were running it and the talent pool became somewhat diluted. At least that's a theory of mine. On the other hand the players just keep getting bigger and faster so I'm not sure what effect this has overall.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 1/17/2013(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:15:11 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Hey, I was looking up some switch history articles earlier, one on NE's switch to a 4-3, and some commentary about what GB might expect in doing the same. Author had exact same response regarding Matthews. I just do not see it quite like the Kampman thing at all. Matthews is great in coverage. He's also adept at blowing up running plays. But, I do see an advantage to keeping him as a pass rusher in a 3-4. Matthews is a true LB with awesome pass rush skills. Kampman was a true DE with awesome pass rush skills, but not many of those guys can cover well.

We just need better players at a couple of key positions to shore up our weaknesses.

... and my wife would never tell you that I'm ever wrong... [grin1] ugh. I just hope Perry and Worthy come back healthy, and that we can add the right talent at the right positions.

My analogy with Kampman was in taking arguably the best player in our front 7 and moving him out of his best position to make plays. Kampy was a great 4-3 end. He was a fair (being gentle!) OLB. CM3 is arguably one of the best defensive playmakers in the business. He would be a good OLB in a 4-3. But he is a great OLB in a 3-4. Put your playmakers in a position to make plays.

Different analogy. Would you consider installing a Zone Read offense for AR? No, because every time he would run would be one less time he could pass. He's a top 3 QB in the league. So why change and take him out of his element?

Another thought. Most of us see a need for better DL next year. That's with only filling 6 positions. Imagine what our quality would be like if we had to fill 8? If you can't find 6 good wide bodies, what makes you think we could find 8?
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:28:41 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 964
Applause Received: 1,962
To me, our biggest need is DL, and that depends on the resigning of Pickett. Raji and Pickett should be platooning at the NT position, not playing next to each other, so they can stay fresh. But that would mean Mike Neal needs to stay healthy and take the next step, along with Worthy at the other DE. So I could see us picking up another DE with a high pick, and a developmental NT is definitely needed because Daniels is just not big enough to play the position. I fully expect to see Pickett resigned because I think he wants to be a Packer and will take a little less to stay. There is no such thing as being too stacked on the DL.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 1/17/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:22:17 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,445
Applause Received: 1,255
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
To me, our biggest need is DL, and that depends on the resigning of Pickett. Raji and Pickett should be platooning at the NT position, not playing next to each other, so they can stay fresh. But that would mean Mike Neal needs to stay healthy and take the next step, along with Worthy at the other DE. So I could see us picking up another DE with a high pick, and a developmental NT is definitely needed because Daniels is just not big enough to play the position. I fully expect to see Pickett resigned because I think he wants to be a Packer and will take a little less to stay. There is no such thing as being too stacked on the DL.

Assuming they don't go back to a 4-3 with Perry moving to DE.
Offline Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:56:52 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 435
Applause Received: 1,202
Pickett has another year on his contract unless I missed something in the last couple days.

High cap number.. but still signed. Are you stating he should be reworked at a lower number?
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:59:37 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 187
What about Benson? Will he be back next year? Him and Arod seem very close. I wouldn't mind him and Harris splitting carries.
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:51:36 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,445
Applause Received: 1,255
Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post
What about Benson? Will he be back next year? Him and Arod seem very close. I wouldn't him and Harris splitting carries.

Can't rely on that foot. It's been a problem before.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:24:55 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 839
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the switch happening. Management likes the 3-4 because it is easier/ cheaper to find 8 LB's than it is to find 8 DL. The 3-4 is arguably better for special teams also because you have more LB's instead of DL available.

Then there is our current roster. CM3 is a special player in the 3-4. In the 4-3, he would be wasted. Much like Aaron Kampman was in the transition the other way. The difference is CM3>>>>> Kampy. So why would you make a change that essentially nullifies your best player? It would be like installing the Wildcat on Offense. If you take Aaron Rodgers away from the ball, the other team wins. Putting Matthews as a 4-3 LB would be to the advantage of the Bears, Lions, etc.

But I've been wrong before. Lots. More than anyone else, I bet. Just ask my wife.

While I am not proposing a swith to 4-3. Matthews would not be wasted as a 4-3 LBer. He could make an outstanding MLB in a 4-3. He would be like Urlacher. His pass rush ability would allow him to keep blockers off him in run support, he has the coverage skills and his speed would work good covering sideline to sideline.
Rss Feed