Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
7 Pages«<34567>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dfosterf  
#61 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:06:24 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Posts: 5,874
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 366

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I knew what you were saying, but sometimes when you use Gunnyspeak the Laymen don't understand you.


I see what you are saying.

Note numero uno on my list.

Wind.

Wind is a semi-mild irritant to you.

Wind was the difference in my (past) world.

It was a live or die thing, can you imagine that?

You say I spoke in jarhead (or words to that effect)

Here it is, in very simple terms:

enemy:

Calm day- You die, we usually take the shot
Windy day-- You live, we probably do not take the shot

I personally found it almost "PC", but I am older and ultimately had no voice in the matter.


They will not be getting any guns I might have, btw. (I like to bitch, lol) It's just imo

Edited by user Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:31:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline Rockmolder  
#62 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:46:57 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Posts: 6,359
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

We don't carry any firearms here and, I must say, criminals are popping innocent civilians in the streets on a daily basis.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#63 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:37:30 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,765
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
Here's what you need to get over yourself:

You need a great .22 <--- don't skimp here, this will probably be your favorite firearm.

You need a varmint rifle 22-250, maybe .223

You need a deer rifle .270 30-06, whatever

You may need several shotguns, dependent upon how you roll If only one, make it a 12 gauge. I personally think you need a 20 gauge also, but that could be greed.

You may feel you need a pistol for home defense, etc. You need a father figure far more first. Chances are quite decent that in this day and age the ONLY gun you bought is a pistol, probably an auto. That means you need training and are probably foolish on this whole gun-thing.

I have a revolver, it's my only pistol, I gave the rest to my little bro. Model 29 smith, .44 mag Med. barrel. I need nothing else. That is what I went in harm's way with, that is what I would defend with, not that I honestly give it that much thought.



You need the above shit to be semi-decent happy as a gun-owner.


Er...

1. I thought a .22 was a varmint rifle. (Probably because when dad and I went small-game hunting when I was a lad, that's what we used. Everyone else used shotguns, but "if you can't hit a squirrel or rabbit with a .22, you shouldn't be hunting squirrels or rabbits." Dad didn't believe in "sport" hunting; you only hunted what you were willing to eat; and willingness to eat declines with the amount of shot one has to pick out of the dead animal.

2. If I ever go deer hunting again, it'll be with a 30-30.

3. I don't expect to ever buy a "defense" gun (for reasons I've said before), but if I did, it would be a 12-gauge. Does Remington still make the 870?

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Wade  
#64 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:39:04 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,765
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
We don't carry any firearms here and, I must say, criminals are popping innocent civilians in the streets on a daily basis.


Yeah, but have there been any Dutch worth shooting since the British whipped the VOC?

Big Grin

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline yooperfan  
#65 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:15:34 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,761
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 523
Applause Received: 243

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Er...

1. I thought a .22 was a varmint rifle. (Probably because when dad and I went small-game hunting when I was a lad, that's what we used. Everyone else used shotguns, but "if you can't hit a squirrel or rabbit with a .22, you shouldn't be hunting squirrels or rabbits." Dad didn't believe in "sport" hunting; you only hunted what you were willing to eat; and willingness to eat declines with the amount of shot one has to pick out of the dead animal.

2. If I ever go deer hunting again, it'll be with a 30-30.

3. I don't expect to ever buy a "defense" gun (for reasons I've said before), but if I did, it would be a 12-gauge. Does Remington still make the 870?



You bet they do.
A Remington 870 12 ga. pump loaded with .00 buckshot is a real crowd pleaser if the masses are closing in on your house.

Offline Formo  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:31:46 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Ok, so whats this news I keep hearing that the shooter of the Sandy Hook massacre use handguns and not an AR15?

Facts keep changing. Fun.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline DakotaT  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:26:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,250
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,297

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
Ok, so whats this news I keep hearing that the shooter of the Sandy Hook massacre use handguns and not an AR15?

Facts keep changing. Fun.


Yeah, I heard that today too. Still doesn't change my opinion that assault weapons only need to be issued to soldiers. Well, I guess the boys out there with small peckers need to compensate.

This gun control fight has been brewing for a while. It's the wag the dog flavor for 2013.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#68 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:29:17 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I heard that today too. Still doesn't change my opinion that assault weapons only need to be issued to soldiers. Well, I guess the boys out there with small peckers need to compensate.

This gun control fight has been brewing for a while. It's the wag the dog flavor for 2013.


But, the issue is.. where does the assault weapon fit into this narrative? It was the narrative used to be the torch bearer for the ban.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Porforis  
#69 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:24:54 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
But, the issue is.. where does the assault weapon fit into this narrative? It was the narrative used to be the torch bearer for the ban.


It doesn't matter any more. Kind of like how race was injected and manufactured into the Traymon Martin case, everyone made up their minds about what happened and drew lines in the sand before the truth came out. The media thrives on conflict, politicians will use anything they can to fuel their agendas, and private citizens will believe whatever people tell them so long as it reinforces the beliefs they already hold.

I do believe we need to have a conversation as a country about gun violence, however as usual the conversation has been zeroed in on one single factor (availability of certain types of guns) and everything else is being put on the backburner or ignored.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#70 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:28:20 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,608
Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

http://www.guardian.co.u...wnership-world-list#data

saw this - lots of guns in the US

appears to be lots of gun killings south of our border - (for another topic) - but I wonder when they will fix our open borders

Offline Porforis  
#71 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:15:03 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Interesting discussion on WTMJ in Milwaukee today. Apparently in the Chicago Sun Times today (Not on their wesite unfortunately) there was an article about an incident at a local hospital where a 16 year old went in for an infected tonsil, when they were taking basic information about the teen (medical history stuff) they had asked the parents to leave the room. The pediatrician then asked the teen amongst other things (like if they were being bullied), whether there were any guns in the house (followup question being if there were locks on the guns). This was also information that was being stored by the hospital. A number of other callers called in to confirm similar questioning of their own children, although in most cases with them in the room.

While I can appreciate the need for doctors to ask such questions in the case of routine general wellness cases and in cases where abuse is suspected, why when the kid has an infected tonsil? If this was about keeping kids safe and gun safety, why aren't the parents allowed to be in the room to be a part of the discussion? If the kid says that there are guns in the house and he knows that they're not locked away, why are the parents not involved in the discussion if this really is about the kid's wellbeing? What IS the hospital doing with this information?

While I tire of hearing terms like "nanny state" being thrown around, you do have to wonder about what our society will be like now that government and healthcare insurance are joined at the hip. When the government has a vested monetary interest in people being healthy, you can endlessly justify storing more and more information about people under the guise of your own wellbeing, at the expense of your privacy.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#72 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:21:09 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,646
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
While I tire of hearing terms like "nanny state" being thrown around, you do have to wonder about what our society will be like now that government and healthcare insurance are joined at the hip.


Remember the movie Demolition Man? When it came out I thought "Yeah, I can easily see this happening..." lol

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Porforis  
#73 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:40:04 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Remember the movie Demolition Man? When it came out I thought "Yeah, I can easily see this happening..." lol


I remember seeing the last 5 minutes of it when I was about 10.

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking of Running Man.

Edited by user Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:54:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#74 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:58:56 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,765
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Interesting discussion on WTMJ in Milwaukee today. Apparently in the Chicago Sun Times today (Not on their wesite unfortunately) there was an article about an incident at a local hospital where a 16 year old went in for an infected tonsil, when they were taking basic information about the teen (medical history stuff) they had asked the parents to leave the room. The pediatrician then asked the teen amongst other things (like if they were being bullied), whether there were any guns in the house (followup question being if there were locks on the guns). This was also information that was being stored by the hospital. A number of other callers called in to confirm similar questioning of their own children, although in most cases with them in the room.

While I can appreciate the need for doctors to ask such questions in the case of routine general wellness cases and in cases where abuse is suspected, why when the kid has an infected tonsil? If this was about keeping kids safe and gun safety, why aren't the parents allowed to be in the room to be a part of the discussion? If the kid says that there are guns in the house and he knows that they're not locked away, why are the parents not involved in the discussion if this really is about the kid's wellbeing? What IS the hospital doing with this information?

While I tire of hearing terms like "nanny state" being thrown around, you do have to wonder about what our society will be like now that government and healthcare insurance are joined at the hip. When the government has a vested monetary interest in people being healthy, you can endlessly justify storing more and more information about people under the guise of your own wellbeing, at the expense of your privacy.


Er, what's wrong with the term "nanny state"?

[Greek chorus loudly proclaims, "Oh, yes, we knew that Wade would like the term. We knew it, we knew it, for a crazy guy art Wade. We knew it, we knew it, for a crazy guy art Wade]
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Porforis  
#75 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:28:06 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Er, what's wrong with the term "nanny state"?

[Greek chorus loudly proclaims, "Oh, yes, we knew that Wade would like the term. We knew it, we knew it, for a crazy guy art Wade. We knew it, we knew it, for a crazy guy art Wade]


Because despite how appropriate it is in some cases, it's used so often it makes my ears bleed.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
7 Pages«<34567>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / CaliforniaCheez

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

16h / Random Babble / nerdmann

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Jul / Random Babble / wpr

27-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

27-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / OlHoss1884


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.