Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 3:45:21 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,405

Originally Posted by: wade Go to Quoted Post
I'd rather have a slow receiver with great moves than a speed demon without them.

And an ability to catch the ball is a must. LOL
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 5:52:10 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

It's a quality versus quantity debate. The Packers probably don't have one elite wide receiver on their roster. However, they have four very good ones. I think you take any one of the four (Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, & Jones) and they're a No. 1 on a dozen or so NFL teams. All of them are probably a No. 2 on nearly every team.

Neither player ranks above Julio Jones and Roddy White, but Atlanta can't go four-deep. Yes, neither ranks above A.J. Green, though the Cincinnati comment is an eyebrow raiser. They don't have anyone other than Green. They’re the AFC’s equivalent to Detroit.

It's an interesting debate. I think the top two choices are Atlanta and Green Bay, though. Are two elite players better than four very good players are? If you throw in tight ends, then it becomes a debate of three elite players versus five very good players. I was thinking about this during the NFC championship. It's hard to say, but I think Atlanta's big three gives defenses more trouble, though Tony Gonzalez, Greg Jennings, and Jermichael Finley may all be in for changes this off-season.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 1/22/2013(UTC), Dulak on 1/28/2013(UTC)
Online DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:02:06 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,405

I think a #1 wide receiver ruins an offense like we have. I don't really think we need one. The last thing we had close to a #1 was Javon Walker and before that, Sterling Sharpe. The bottom line to this whole thing is whether or not the Packers will overpay for Jennings, when there are more important fish to fry like Raji, Matthews, and Rodgers. I'm thinking Greg will be allowed to test the waters.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:05:38 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 334

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I think a #1 wide receiver ruins an offense like we have. I don't really think we need one. The last thing we had close to a #1 was Javon Walker and before that, Sterling Sharpe. The bottom line to this whole thing is whether or not the Packers will overpay for Jennings, when there are more important fish to fry like Raji, Matthews, and Rodgers. I'm thinking Greg will be allowed to test the waters.

If we play smart with our #1 receiver, it'd be a huge blessing. If it turns into Aaron Rodgers' go-to throw-into-triple-coverage-instead-of-throwing-it-away or ignore-the-guy-in-the-flat guy, then you're absolutely right.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:43:49 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

I don't see why.

Do we really have so little trust in Rodgers that we think that he's too dumb to go through the progressions once he gets a legitimate number 1?

Good that we're somehow seeing the game a lot clearer from our couches than the 2011 NFL MVP does on the field.

I don't think a good nr. 1 would hurt.

And having Rodgers just throw it up once every so often to a guy like we had in Walker or Sharpe is no shame, either. They can make that play pretty consistently and, if not, they don't let it get intercepted all that often.

Anyway, found this on Walter Football. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Team needs:

3. Wide Receiver: Greg Jennings is a free agent. If he leaves, Aaron Rodgers will still have Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and James Jones at his disposal, but none of those guys are No. 1 receivers. General manager Ted Thompson may opt to draft one at the end of the first round.
UserPostedImage
Offline RajiRoar  
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:27:07 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 44
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post

Good that we're somehow seeing the game a lot clearer from our couches than the 2011 NFL MVP does on the field.

well,

I think most of us could have seen from the couch that starting Jarrett Bush WK1 was going to be a shitty idea.

Or continuing to pay(play) Walden despite the only thing he's remotely acceptable at is being "experienced".

Just sayin'

some outside perspective could really help in the GB think tank.

couch potatoes are not always wrong :P

that said,

if Mike McCarthy really wants to continue this deep-route-abandon-the-run-fuck-it-just-go-deep-on-the-cover-2 offense, than yes.. we need a LEGIT #1 WR.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Rockmolder  
#22 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:10:30 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
well,

I think most of us could have seen from the couch that starting Jarrett Bush WK1 was going to be a shitty idea.

Or continuing to pay(play) Walden despite the only thing he's remotely acceptable at is being "experienced".

Just sayin'

some outside perspective could really help in the GB think tank.

couch potatoes are not always wrong :P

that said,

if Mike McCarthy really wants to continue this deep-route-abandon-the-run-fuck-it-just-go-deep-on-the-cover-2 offense, than yes.. we need a LEGIT #1 WR.

It really is as much of a gamble as anything else if you put in a rookie as your 3rd CB to start the season. No one could predict Hayward having the season he had.

Next to that, I imagine that Bush played best in TC, since you don't get a starting job just for being there.

On Walden... Who would you put out there that we have on our roster?

Also, I doubt Rodgers has much to say about who's on the field (on defence) and, lastly, choosing personel is something completely different than choosing what receiver you're going to throw to.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed