Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Cheesey  
#76 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:01:47 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 171
Applause Received: 373

Wow....had i been asked those questions my parents probably would have been arrested. We had guns in the house, and none of them were locked up.
Neither were their car keys, or beer.
I can see it coming to that extent.
"Nanny state"fits very well. The government thinks "It takes a village", when in fact it only takes parents that take time to TEACH their children right from wrong, and that there are consequences to their actions.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#77 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:47:35 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 565
Applause Received: 256

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
Wow....had i been asked those questions my parents probably would have been arrested. We had guns in the house, and none of them were locked up.
Neither were their car keys, or beer.
I can see it coming to that extent.
"Nanny state"fits very well. The government thinks "It takes a village", when in fact it only takes parents that take time to TEACH their children right from wrong, and that there are consequences to their actions.

sh*t man, I'd be in the crowbar hotel right now.
Big brother is watching.

Offline Formo  
#78 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:08:20 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Remember the movie Demolition Man? When it came out I thought "Yeah, I can easily see this happening..." lol

Yeah.. When I first saw that movie (as a youngun) I never noticed the underlying fascist utopia. Just thought it was sucky that Taco Bell's portions were reduced to pill sized meals. And that sex was boring. When I saw it again for the first time since a few years ago (turns out it's one of my wife's favorite movies), I couldn't believe how frightening the future LA was. And how we aren't that far off from that, either.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online Wade  
#79 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:58:47 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 671

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Because despite how appropriate it is in some cases, it's used so often it makes my ears bleed.

Ah.

I almost never hear it here. (Except when I'm being cranky/eccentric/crazy.) Then again I work at a "institution of higher education", so I probably don't see a representative slice of the population very often.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Formo  
#80 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:20:01 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

This type of ignorance and intolerance is exactly what I stand against. Props to Mayor Dudley.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online Wade  
#81 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:00:35 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 671

Wow. Just, "Wow."

It shouldn't surprise me. But it does.

Walking-out-guy's a maroon.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Formo on 1/26/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#82 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:25:07 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

http://news.yahoo.com/ar...ry-wildly-075244259.html

read this article - was quite interesting.

Not sure what to take over it. What I get from it is that if you give more and more people guns and like the article suggested that you treat them as a right to own (for everyone). Then there will be more crime. Or if you 'allow' unsavory types (gangs etc) have them then there will be gun crime.

I tend to agree with the way japon does things - guns only for those that can prove they need them and deserve them and quite limited.

and keep em away from gangs
Offline RajiRoar  
#83 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:33:11 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post

they will find a way.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline dfosterf  
#84 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 3:03:23 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 400

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Er...

1. I thought a .22 was a varmint rifle. (Probably because when dad and I went small-game hunting when I was a lad, that's what we used. Everyone else used shotguns, but "if you can't hit a squirrel or rabbit with a .22, you shouldn't be hunting squirrels or rabbits." Dad didn't believe in "sport" hunting; you only hunted what you were willing to eat; and willingness to eat declines with the amount of shot one has to pick out of the dead animal.

2. If I ever go deer hunting again, it'll be with a 30-30.

3. I don't expect to ever buy a "defense" gun (for reasons I've said before), but if I did, it would be a 12-gauge. Does Remington still make the 870?

A varmint rifle is essentialy defined as a totally different class from a small-game rifle. It has long-range characteristics and capabilities a .22 does not, usually a center-fire cartridge vs. a rim-fire- e.g. .22

Hope this helps clarify Rolling Eyes

30 30 isn't great as a deer rifle, don't care what "everyone" says, ( It's a ballastics thing, we all know how many deer have been dropped by 30/30's ) the 870 is the bomb in a pump action shotgun, imo, but I'm an 1100 man, which is even greater, in the semi-auto version, imo. Awesome in self-defense, both of them, I recommend investing in a "deer-barrel_ for either, then making THAT your home defense weapon.

I would much rather have a shotgun for self-defense than a pistol.

I would also much rather have a revolver than a semi-auto, if my life depends upon it. They drop in place with a .44 mag and safety slug, for example.

Not nearly as cool, the revolver - but you just gotta trust me on this one. Or alternatively, don't get yourself absolutely scared sh*tless in order to operate that semi. Eh?

I don't know much, but I did do the whole killing thing for a living most of my lifetime while these matters were debated/ whined about back home by the REMFS, so there is that, plus, I stayed at a Holiday Inn several times.

I don't give a sh*t what they do with so-called assault weapons. Perhaps a ban will be enough to energize the red-necks to help get rid of the libs.

I just want to be left alone. I'd imagine many feel the same.

Edited by user Monday, January 28, 2013 5:50:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 1/29/2013(UTC)
Online Cheesey  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:07:40 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 171
Applause Received: 373

http://news.yahoo.com/around-world-gun-rules-results-vary-wildly-075244259.html

read this article - was quite interesting.

Not sure what to take over it. What I get from it is that if you give more and more people guns and like the article suggested that you treat them as a right to own (for everyone). Then there will be more crime. Or if you 'allow' unsavory types (gangs etc) have them then there will be gun crime.

I tend to agree with the way japon does things - guns only for those that can prove they need them and deserve them and quite limited.

This kind of post SOUNDS nice on the surface, but it's not realistic.
Again, bad people don't care about the laws. That's why they are bad people.Taking guns away from law abiding American citizens won't solve ANY crime problems.
And "prove they need them?" Well, how do you do that? Let some scumbag attack you or your loved ones, maybe getting raped or killed, and that proves it then?
Having a gun can be a HUGE deterent to criminals trying to attack you.
Back when i was imn my late teens, some guys were messing around with my car which was in the driveway. It was night, and there were at least 3 of them. I pulled out my rifle, opened the door and said "I have a gun and you can choose to leave on your own, or be carried away". With that, they took off running, got to their car and without turing the lights on, sped away. We never saw anyone mess with my car again.
I didn't have to fire a shot. But had i gone out without a weapon, who knows what they might have done.
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#86 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:16:47 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
This kind of post SOUNDS nice on the surface, but it's not realistic.
Again, bad people don't care about the laws. That's why they are bad people.Taking guns away from law abiding American citizens won't solve ANY crime problems.
And "prove they need them?" Well, how do you do that? Let some scumbag attack you or your loved ones, maybe getting raped or killed, and that proves it then?
Having a gun can be a HUGE deterent to criminals trying to attack you.
Back when i was imn my late teens, some guys were messing around with my car which was in the driveway. It was night, and there were at least 3 of them. I pulled out my rifle, opened the door and said "I have a gun and you can choose to leave on your own, or be carried away". With that, they took off running, got to their car and without turing the lights on, sped away. We never saw anyone mess with my car again.
I didn't have to fire a shot. But had i gone out without a weapon, who knows what they might have done.

why isnt it realistic? - the stats show how japan, the UK and other places have much less gun deaths. And they have a system based on less access.

personally I dont mind not having a gun to protect my home as long as others out there have less of a chance to have guns too.

reminds me of the cold war where both sides were arming themselves; problem is as you know lots of people have access to guns whom should not. People want to point the finger at the individual that is unstable like its such a rare occurance; but we keep hearing about gun deaths in circumstances that make us have these discussions.
They painted that guy whom shot that senator as a wacko and the batman guy and the school shooting guy, columbine etc etc ... so we can keep arming all the wackos out there or we can limit the guns ...

Offline Porforis  
#87 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:49:50 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

why isnt it realistic? - the stats show how japan, the UK and other places have much less gun deaths. And they have a system based on less access.

personally I dont mind not having a gun to protect my home as long as others out there have less of a chance to have guns too.

reminds me of the cold war where both sides were arming themselves; problem is as you know lots of people have access to guns whom should not. People want to point the finger at the individual that is unstable like its such a rare occurance; but we keep hearing about gun deaths in circumstances that make us have these discussions.
They painted that guy whom shot that senator as a wacko and the batman guy and the school shooting guy, columbine etc etc ... so we can keep arming all the wackos out there or we can limit the guns ...

For the same reasons why the United States can't have blazing fast internet for 99.9% of its citizens subsidized affordably by the government (different geography and population density by far), and why violent crime rates not involving guns are also significantly higher than most of the first world (societal issues). In short, you can't directly compare a densely populated island country in Asia to Europe to the United States. Social attitudes and values greatly differ, the approach to work greatly differs, income levels and vacation days greatly differ which significantly impacts mental health. While it would be stupid to not look to the rest of the world for ideas to fix our own problems, you can't just take someone else's system, slap it on your own and expect it to work.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#88 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:51:08 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,338

For the same reasons why the United States can't have blazing fast internet for 99.9% of its citizens subsidized affordably by the government (different geography and population density by far), and why violent crime rates not involving guns are also significantly higher than most of the first world (societal issues). In short, you can't directly compare a densely populated island country in Asia to Europe to the United States. Social attitudes and values greatly differ, the approach to work greatly differs, income levels and vacation days greatly differ which significantly impacts mental health. While it would be stupid to not look to the rest of the world for ideas to fix our own problems, you can't just take someone else's system, slap it on your own and expect it to work.

I agree Porforis, the first thing the USA needs to do is own up to its addiction to violence, and come to a logical solution. The solution is less guns, but who'll give an inch - it'll take decades to sort out. It scares me more that every swinging dick out there thinks he has the right to be "packing" than does the fact that I know criminals have guns. I don't want to live in the old west, but I do believe a homeowner has the right to defend his home with a weapon if necessary.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#89 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:07:13 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I agree Porforis, the first thing the USA needs to do is own up to its addiction to violence, and come to a logical solution. The solution is less guns, but who'll give an inch - it'll take decades to sort out. It scares me more that every swinging dick out there thinks he has the right to be "packing" than does the fact that I know criminals have guns. I don't want to live in the old west, but I do believe a homeowner has the right to defend his home with a weapon if necessary.

Holy sh*t, I agree with (almost) everything you had to say? Wait a second - let's enjoy this moment.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#90 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:58:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,338

Holy sh*t, I agree with (almost) everything you had to say? Wait a second - let's enjoy this moment.

You dumb sh*t, I told you a long time ago you were just like me only I had a re-evaluation of everything do to Mia's sickness. I am still fiscally conservative, only I will not join hands with right wing anymore because I view them as greedy, hateful, biggoted, and full of sh*t. You haven't come to your enlightenment yet, but you will - just give it time. One day beating up the poor won't seem so important anymore.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed