Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 2:14:57 PM(UTC)
Forgive me.. but it is the offseason and may lead into a decent discussion.

Titus Young was waived and can be claimed along with a reasonable salary. Would you take a complete flyer on a talented yet seemingly immature player?

Personally, I might put in a claim just to bring him in and have a conversation to see if there is any value in keeping him around. Maybe, just maybe a change of scenery and being able to face the Lions a couple times a year might produce results.

Reasons to do it:

1. Potentially losing Jennings and having lost Driver (depth) already, it gives us another option for the offseason at least.

2. Adds another talented player without spending big or using a draft pick upon.

3. Gives the Packers flexibility in the draft for other positions and UDFA.

The risk is very minimal for offseason workouts to see if there is any possibility it might reap rewards.

Over/Under 6 posts before Packer People is uttered.
QCHuskerFan  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 2:43:53 PM(UTC)
I am of 2 minds about this. Part of me tries to be in tune with player attitudes and lockerroom. Young is a disaster historically. He allegedly punched a teammate and was bad enough that even the Lions couldn't put up with his attitude. That is saying something.

But then, you're right. Doesn't cost much to try him out, I think. Sign him, evaluate during OTA's and cut him at the slightest sign of drama.

He is not the type of player I care for, but if he could score TD's, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:02:38 PM(UTC)
Don't see much downside.

Packers have been successful with reclamation projects in the past. Woody was once considered a malcontent. Team leader now.
Porforis  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:54:19 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
I am of 2 minds about this. Part of me tries to be in tune with player attitudes and lockerroom. Young is a disaster historically. He allegedly punched a teammate and was bad enough that even the Lions couldn't put up with his attitude. That is saying something.

But then, you're right. Doesn't cost much to try him out, I think. Sign him, evaluate during OTA's and cut him at the slightest sign of drama.

He is not the type of player I care for, but if he could score TD's, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

That. Even if Finley and Jennings leave, he's going to be very low on the totem pole, some humility and limited snaps would do him some good. And if he still doesn't get the point that he's simply one man on a 52 man roster (if he makes it that far), adios.

As far as the Lions not being able to put up with his attitude, that team and that coach is hardly the type of environment that will help someone mature.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:23:59 PM(UTC)
I don't see how bringing him in, plus taking over his salary benefits the Packers more than it could potentially be damaging. One of the reason the Packers WR group is so good is because they are unselfish, something Titus Young is not. He complains when Calvin Johnson receives more targets... how's he gonna do with Cobb, Nelson, Jones and Finley getting more targets?

No. Deal. No. Claim.

If he clears waivers and they can sign him at a friendly salary, maybe.
Yerko  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:25:27 PM(UTC)
Dude seems like a complete loser and I don't know what his problem is. I'd love to make a joke and say its all Schwartz's fault but I can't. His main gripe was the Lions weren't including him in future plans? If I am not mistaken he was behind the best wide receiver in the league on the depth chart. What more can a team possibly do?

For once, I'd say pass.
RajiRoar  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 5:39:46 PM(UTC)
No.

I dont mind a mild headcase OFF the field... but when a player is F*cking the team ON the field, he has issues.
Mike McCarthy would not stand for that shit for one second.
musccy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:01:46 AM(UTC)
He purposefully lined up out of position to spite the Lions vs. the Packers. His H.S. coach just revealed that Titus is convinced he's better than Megatron. Unless he's getting #1 playing time and receptions, he's going to be a total P.I.T.A.

It'd be like Finley's drama on crack and steroids. No thanks.
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:06:48 AM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
He purposefully lined up out of position to spite the Lions vs. the Packers. His H.S. coach just revealed that Titus is convinced he's better than Megatron. Unless he's getting #1 playing time and receptions, he's going to be a total P.I.T.A.

Give him Favre's number.
PackerTraxx  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:21:17 PM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post

This. No way, especially coupled with his other sh_t.
steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43:50 PM(UTC)
Not to mention this is a guy with NFL talent that got basically kicked off his college team his last year because of his attitude. He obviously didn't learn anything from then until now. The offense Mike McCarthy runs depends on players being unselfish and being able to play all over the field and share targets. This guy simply wouldn't be able to handle it.
dhazer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:44:00 PM(UTC)
thread ended he was claimed by Rams
gbguy20  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:58:42 PM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
thread ended he was claimed by Rams

the rams were also the only team who put a claim in on him.
Since69  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:36:06 AM(UTC)
I'm glad they took him. I didn't want him for the Packers, but what I really didn't want was to see him go to New England. Belichick would have turned him into a All-Pro...
Wade  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:33:04 PM(UTC)
No.

and

Hell, no!

This is not Andre Rison, who had shown himself capable of being a top reciever.
This is not Terrell Owens, who though he was a major headcase, always gave full effort.
This is not even Randy Moss, who, though he undoubtedly "took plays off", never intentionally lined up in the wrong position out of petulance.

I wouldn't sign Young if I thought he had the skills of Rison in his prime AND Owens in his AND Moss in his.

If he gives me, say, four years of post-Lions, commitment and putting-the-team-first and keeping-his-spoiled-brat-mouth-shut, then -- maybe -- I'd give him a shot as a free agent.

But before then? I'd sign any of the above three, with their current skill set, first.

(And I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten-foot pole.)

wpr  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:46:32 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
No.

and

Hell, no!

This is not Andre Rison, who had shown himself capable of being a top reciever.
This is not Terrell Owens, who though he was a major headcase, always gave full effort.
This is not even Randy Moss, who, though he undoubtedly "took plays off", never intentionally lined up in the wrong position out of petulance.

I wouldn't sign Young if I thought he had the skills of Rison in his prime AND Owens in his AND Moss in his.

If he gives me, say, four years of post-Lions, commitment and putting-the-team-first and keeping-his-spoiled-brat-mouth-shut, then -- maybe -- I'd give him a shot as a free agent.

But before then? I'd sign any of the above three, with their current skill set, first.

(And I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten-foot pole.)

Does it seem like there is a disproportionate amount of egocentric WR in the NFL compared to the other positions? We could have a who's who (I hate to use all star) of maniacal WRs of the past 20 years. Most were not all the good in the long run.

even when there was a greater emphasis on the running game there did not seem to be as many nut jobs. Perhaps because teams so often use 3 wr and at the most they only used 2 rb so the pool is larger.
Wade  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:40:07 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
Does it seem like there is a disproportionate amount of egocentric WR in the NFL compared to the other positions? We could have a who's who (I hate to use all star) of maniacal WRs of the past 20 years. Most were not all the good in the long run.

even when there was a greater emphasis on the running game there did not seem to be as many nut jobs. Perhaps because teams so often use 3 wr and at the most they only used 2 rb so the pool is larger.

IMO, that is part of what made Donald Driver such a wonderful story. He went against type. Even in his years where he was arguably among the best at his position, he didn't go diva. Even his Dancing with the Stars gig didn't go the direction your typical WR star would take it.

Rss Feed