Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gbguy20  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:51:07 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

PFT

Quote:
Bradshaw, a seventh-round draft pick in 2007, was a member of two Super Bowl championship teams. He rushed for 1,050 yards in 14 games last season. His career high came in 2010, when he gained 1,235 yards.

As a vested veteran, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I don't know all that much about him, but he is relatively young and has had some decent production in his career. The first response to this thread will probably bring up his injury issues, but I'd like to look past that for the sake of discussion.

edit: my giants fan buddy just texted me about him. "he'd be a huge upgrade over what GB has now. Good pass protector too, just can't get through a practice. younger than most FA rb's but has a lot of mileage."

Edited by user Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:15:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

call me Dan
Sponsor
Offline Mortfini  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:22:46 AM(UTC)
Mortfini

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 1

27 years old averaged 4.5 yards a carry in all but one of his years he's very good on 3rd down with pass protection and receiving The one negative is his durability; he always seems to be bothered by a foot injury. He's had so many surgeries on his feet that he may not be able to hold up much longer.
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:18:10 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 68

Either Chris Ivory, Reggie Bush, or we don't bother with the position.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline shield4life  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 7:23:35 AM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

To tell you the truth I would love to get him depending on the price his asking! All tho, if we get Reggie Bush would love that too, his lethal for screen plays!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 8:22:39 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,830
Applause Received: 1,364

27 is getting old for a rb. especially one with a history of injuries. (can't look past it. It is a key part of discussion.)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 8:29:03 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post

edit: my giants fan buddy just texted me about him. "he'd be a huge upgrade over what GB has now. Good pass protector too, just can't get through a practice. younger than most FA rb's but has a lot of mileage."

The thing is it doesn't matter who they bring in or who compares other rb to the ones in GB. With the current OL it just doesn't matter. This line is designed for pass protection. They call pass plays on nearly a 2-1 ratio over the run. The GB rbs would look better on another team where they run more and have a better run block scheme.

UserPostedImage

Offline Porforis  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 8:53:15 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
The thing is it doesn't matter who they bring in or who compares other rb to the ones in GB. With the current OL it just doesn't matter. This line is designed for pass protection. They call pass plays on nearly a 2-1 ratio over the run. The GB rbs would look better on another team where they run more and have a better run block scheme.

That figure was correct in 2011, but there was a dramatic change in 2012.

http://losersbracket.com...ers-passing-attack-myth/

UserPostedImage

We do still pass a lot, and your point about our line being better at pass protection is true, but we're not exactly dominant protecting our QB either.

Overall, there's so many other positions out there that need work that I'm not sure we need to worry about RB at this point. Especially since APete behind our line would get probably 4, 4.5YPC at most. An upgrade in pass pro would be nice but if that's all you're going to get an RB for, what's the point?
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 2:36:23 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I know what you are saying wpr, but I think the line is fine. We need our HC/OC to dedicate themselves to running more, pounding the ball, and getting their line used to a more physical approach to run blocking.

I agree our own RBs would look better in some other systems, simply because they would be used more, and more effectively... we need a change in philosophy more than anything, from the top.

As good as Bradshaw is, I think Harris is even better. The guy just needs a legit opportunity to be a top back, with an earnest number of attempts.
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 7:46:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
That figure was correct in 2011, but there was a dramatic change in 2012.

We do still pass a lot, and your point about our line being better at pass protection is true, but we're not exactly dominant protecting our QB either.

Overall, there's so many other positions out there that need work that I'm not sure we need to worry about RB at this point. Especially since APete behind our line would get probably 4, 4.5YPC at most. An upgrade in pass pro would be nice but if that's all you're going to get an RB for, what's the point?

I was generalizing. There is not a huge difference between 60% and 66%.

yep.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 7:47:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I know what you are saying wpr, but I think the line is fine. We need our HC/OC to dedicate themselves to running more, pounding the ball, and getting their line used to a more physical approach to run blocking.

I agree our own RBs would look better in some other systems, simply because they would be used more, and more effectively... we need a change in philosophy more than anything, from the top.

As good as Bradshaw is, I think Harris is even better. The guy just needs a legit opportunity to be a top back, with an earnest number of attempts.

it is.

agreed

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 8:54:29 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 633
Applause Received: 1,311

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post

Sorry man, but our line is not fine. We have 1 player that's close to being an All Pro. The rest of them should have competition brough in to take their jobs. It this kind of settling for mediocrity that drives me to anger. Nothing personal P2W, most of your analysis is spot on. But we can most certainly improve the O-line.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 9:39:41 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Sorry man, but our line is not fine. We have 1 player that's close to being an All Pro. The rest of them should have competition brough in to take their jobs. It this kind of settling for mediocrity that drives me to anger. Nothing personal P2W, most of your analysis is spot on. But we can most certainly improve the O-line.

The OL is a long way from being fine but it is also a very young line.

Sitton has been a starter for 4 years. but he has shown signs of improvement. The last 3 he was a Pro Bowl alternate.

Lang a starter for just 2 years. He looked more comfortable this year than he did last year. Stability in the positions to his left and right will help him.

Sherrod was just starting to get what it takes to play in the NFL last year when he was injured. He still has a ways to go but you can't criticize him for losing time to injury.

Bulaga has only started 1 full season, 2011. He was doing fine this year before he too was injured. Like all young players he he has had growing pains and had some good games and some that were not so good. He should bounce back next year.

The biggest question will be center. EDS has the inside track at this time but no one is handing him the job automatically. I am sure the front office will look to upgrade this position. But like most if they go the draft route it will take time for the new center to adjust to the NFL.

Barclay, Datko, Newhouse and van Roten- As what happens so often with the backup positions, the rest of the OL are just plain young. They are not really expected to be the top performers or else they would be on the first team already. Some may grow into being a starter, others will be the reliable backups needed should injury arise again.

All in all this group will get better with experience. Uncle Teddy and Co will certainly look for more help but I can't see him using a #1 pick on the OL in 2013 unless they are certain the injuries are going to be career ending.

The improvement we all desire is going to come from experience not new personnel.

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:41:49 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

I guess I misspoke in saying they were "fine." I was thinking in a general sense, the players are a decent group overall. My feeling is they might look a whole lot better with a more dedeicated punch the other team in the face rushing approach. If McCarthy did that, and improved the coaching on that line, I believe our pass blocking would improve, and Rodgers would be spending less time running for his life.

Would I like a better LT added? Of course. But, I think the Packers' pass heavy play calling, and ineffective run coaching and play calling have done our current line no favors, actually making them look worse than they might really be. All of that lends to a perception that our line is bad.

That was my point in saying that. Use this same group differently, and they may be just fine.

Adding a real mauler at C wouldn't suck either!
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:50:21 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

The OL is a long way from being fine but it is also a very young line.

Sitton has been a starter for 4 years. but he has shown signs of improvement. The last 3 he was a Pro Bowl alternate.

Lang a starter for just 2 years. He looked more comfortable this year than he did last year. Stability in the positions to his left and right will help him.

Sherrod was just starting to get what it takes to play in the NFL last year when he was injured. He still has a ways to go but you can't criticize him for losing time to injury.

Bulaga has only started 1 full season, 2011. He was doing fine this year before he too was injured. Like all young players he he has had growing pains and had some good games and some that were not so good. He should bounce back next year.

The biggest question will be center. EDS has the inside track at this time but no one is handing him the job automatically. I am sure the front office will look to upgrade this position. But like most if they go the draft route it will take time for the new center to adjust to the NFL.

Barclay, Datko, Newhouse and van Roten- As what happens so often with the backup positions, the rest of the OL are just plain young. They are not really expected to be the top performers or else they would be on the first team already. Some may grow into being a starter, others will be the reliable backups needed should injury arise again.

All in all this group will get better with experience. Uncle Teddy and Co will certainly look for more help but I can't see him using a #1 pick on the OL in 2013 unless they are certain the injuries are going to be career ending.

The improvement we all desire is going to come from experience not new personnel.

I gotta say, I am excited about Andrew Datko making a name for himself in GB at LT. It may be a bit of a long shot, but I just have a feeling this kid is going to stake a real claim to the position.

EDS could be a great starter at C. He has the toughness we need there, for sure.

Would love to see better line coaching. As for Bradshaw, I highly doubt Ted would sign him, because we don't really need him. We need to change the mindset up top.
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:02:04 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,358
Applause Received: 597

We're stacked, on the line, imo.

LT: Sherrod, Datko, possibly Newhouse if Datko's shoulder doesn't hold up.
LG: Lang, Barclay, Van Roten
C: Draft pick, EDS, Lang
RG: Sitton, Barclay, Van Roten
RT: Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay

These guys can all play, with the possible exception of Datko (due to chronic injury) and Van Roten (not having proven himself yet.) Excited to see Sherrod get back on the field. That said, I think Datko has a good chance to pan out as well.

Solid depth, they just haven't all had a chance to get after it, as yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed