Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline warhawk  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:28:13 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 213

Ted is hard enough to figure out and this year looks especially hard to predict how he feels about the team.
Dynamics to consider:

1)We're going to lose a couple of players for sure. Jennings and maybe Finley.

2)He drafted heavily on the defensive side of the ball last year. Will he go more balanced this year?

3)We will get Bishop,Smith, and Perry back on D. I'm guessing he wants Woodson back too.

4)We get Bulaga and I would hope Sherrod back as well on offense. Does Ted Thompson feel like the OL will have what it takes with those guys back in the mix?

5)With the cap issues on the horizon I do not see Ted Thompson trading up but using all or gaining picks to stockpile less expensive talent.

Picking in the mid 20's all the time we see all the top OL and DL picked other than who Ted has swooped up if still around. He's gone OL in the first with Bulaga and Sherrod then Mathews, Raji, and Perry. All had one thing in common. They really weren't predicted to be there when it was our turn (well, Mathews wasn't but what a move).

So I figure this year it really doesn't matter what position it is but hope for a top player to slip between the cracks and Ted jump and then work his magic from there.

Who knows what he's thinking though?

"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/11/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline doddpower  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:57:59 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 428

I just hope to see top talent added to the team, almost regardless of position. The Packers have a lot of talent, but they need more. This a great draft to go almost strictly best pick available, within certain pre-defined criteria, of course. There is literally not a single position other than QB in which the Packers couldn't use a top talent at. Let the draft fall as it may, and draft accordingly. Hopefully this will work in Teds Favor.
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:22:52 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,824
Applause Received: 1,363

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
Ted is hard enough to figure out and this year looks especially hard to predict how he feels about the team.
Dynamics to consider:

1)We're going to lose a couple of players for sure. Jennings and maybe Finley.

2)He drafted heavily on the defensive side of the ball last year. Will he go more balanced this year?

3)We will get Bishop,Smith, and Perry back on D. I'm guessing he wants Woodson back too.

4)We get Bulaga and I would hope Sherrod back as well on offense. Does Ted Thompson feel like the OL will have what it takes with those guys back in the mix?

5)With the cap issues on the horizon I do not see Ted Thompson trading up but using all or gaining picks to stockpile less expensive talent.

Picking in the mid 20's all the time we see all the top OL and DL picked other than who Ted has swooped up if still around. He's gone OL in the first with Bulaga and Sherrod then Mathews, Raji, and Perry. All had one thing in common. They really weren't predicted to be there when it was our turn (well, Mathews wasn't but what a move).

So I figure this year it really doesn't matter what position it is but hope for a top player to slip between the cracks and Ted jump and then work his magic from there.

Who knows what he's thinking though?

1. wouldn't be shocked if woody falls into that group. It all depends on his willingness to restructure.

2. It is possible. Still may be heavy on the Def. WR, TE, QB,even OL are not critical needs. (upgrades always welcomed.) DL, OLB and S more pressing.

3. For the right price. He has the Packers over a barrel. He is the $10 mil man for the next 2 years. Contract: 2013-2014: $6.5 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due 7/24 + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses). But they take a $4.2 million dollar hit for the next 2 years if they release him.

4. Who knows what he thinks. IF both are healthy going into the draft and then TC, I think he is willing to let them play a year and see. Bulaga has not been bad. Learning and getting better. Sherrod looked like a rookie but had flashes of being a first round pick in the little he played. If one of them were to fail then Newhouse or Barclay will get a little more PT. I could see Uncle Teddy adding an interior lineman especially a C in the draft.

5. He trades up so rarely it would have to be a special player at a price (draft picks) he loves. I hope he doesn't trade down too much. There are not a lot of needs and extra picks will only be squandered.

To hear him talk he just works the board and let's the broad tell him who to select. Very simplistic but he doesn't tell us much more than that.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:32:03 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 1,308

I think between Newhouse and Sherrod we have LT covered - let's face it, we won't get a blue chip prospect there as long as we have the quality of quarterback we've become use to. But LG and Center are both positions that could use upgrading from what we currently field.

On the d-line we have NT covered, but would anybody mind another huge body as a late round project? I'd love to go get Paul Kruger in free agency to have our bookends and then let Perry beef up and play DE opposite Neal - but Uncle Ted probably wouldn't do that.

Our roster is pretty good now, but BPA is the way to go.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:42:08 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 538
Applause Received: 247

Even though conventional wisdom says 1st pick should be OL, DL or LB Ted will go against CW and take a wide reciever with his 1st pick.
Offline JustJeff  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 2:09:58 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Woodson's $10 million per year this year and next has no cap penalty to cut him loose.
The structure: (rough amounts - he's actually $9,437,500 this year and $10 million next year)
Base Salary - $6.5 million
Roster bonus - $1 million
Game bonus - $2.5
UserPostedImage
Offline JustJeff  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 2:12:44 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

2005 - Rodgers
2006 - Hawk
2007 - Harrell
2008 - traded (Jordy in the 2nd)
2009 - Raji at 9 and Clay at 26
2010 - Bulaga
2011 - Sherrod
2012 - Perry

The average weight of the Packers six first round picks in the past six years is 302 pounds. The best bet is a lineman, but the smart money will not bet on whom Thompson will select.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 2:28:15 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

C, ILB, and S are where we could most likely get a top player with our pick since they are generally undervalued. Actully, I've never totally understood this because it is important to be strong up the middle in any sport, even chess and checkers. A scenirio I wouldn't mind is trading out of the first round to pick up someone's top third of the round 2 pick and their 1st next year.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
QCHuskerFan on 2/12/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:54:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,353
Applause Received: 594

BPA, but guaranteed he takes a WR in the 2nd or 3rd.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan on 2/12/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:26:45 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 173
Applause Received: 386

He should be fired. He is not doing the proper blend of repairing holes with veteran talent coupled with wise draft choices.

His drafting is fine. It is his apparent stubborness to stick to that as basically his only choice that makes me want him gone.

He is LATE in his choices if that is his philosophy. If he is all about the draft, he is LATE MOST OF THE TIME.

Capers can hit the f*cking trail also.

We have been squandering Rodgers talent and low cap number/salary and it has been pissing me off. Younger viewers are used to awesome QB talent. Me, I will always remain concerned, and imo, rightfully so. It is a PARTY to build a team around a QB vs. building a QB around a team. Ted is FAILING US, imo

...and I like Ted. Face. Palm.

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2013 7:41:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

DakotaT on 2/11/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:44:41 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
He should be fired. He is not doing the proper blend of repairing holes with veteran talent coupled with wise draft choices.

His drafting is fine. It is his apparent stubborness to stick to that as basically his only choice that makes me want him gone.

He is LATE in his choices if that is his philosophy. If he is all about the draft, he is LATE MOST OF THE TIME.

We have been squandering Rodgers talent and low cap number/salary and it has been pissing me off. Younger viewers are used to awesome QB talent. Me, I will always remain concerned, and imo, rightfully so. It is a PARTY to build a team around a QB vs. building a QB around a team. Ted is FAILING US, imo

He signs FAs, it's that that they are his own FAs.

As for squandering Aaron's talent, Aaron, like his predecessor, can take responsibility for much of that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:47:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 1,308

Ted has definitely screwed the pooch because there should be more hardware in the trophy case. But Ted isn't making this team soft, that blame lies on our Pillsbury doughboy coach. I don't care what kind of offensive genius he is, this team gets beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and that shit can't happen. There has been more than enough talent to get it done, it just hasn't happened.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 2/11/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:50:52 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
He signs FAs, it's that that they are his own FAs.

As for squandering Aaron's talent, Aaron, like his predecessor, can take responsibility for much of that.

Nonsense- Give Aaron Rodgers a superior line and N O ONE could defend it. IT ISN'T THAT HARD if you dip into free agency wisely.

Aaron Rodgers has been playing behind SHIT. We can't even run the friggin' ball with an MVP QB.

Any IDIOT can see that Rodgers is going to cost us a FORTUNE, the most ever, right? Yes? which means MANY players will be lost on both offense and defense...

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2013 8:01:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline dfosterf  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:21:13 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Ted has definitely screwed the pooch because there should be more hardware in the trophy case. But Ted isn't making this team soft, that blame lies on our Pillsbury doughboy coach. I don't care what kind of offensive genius he is, this team gets beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and that shit can't happen. There has been more than enough talent to get it done, it just hasn't happened.

I don't like getting beat on the line of scrimmage. It defines my team. I will not even admit we ARE getting beat on the line of scrimmage, but IF WE ARE, I want HEADS. I want the plumber/toilet guy, I want Murphy, Thompson, the toll-taker, EVERYONE. W H Y would the Green Bay Packers allow themselves to get beat at the line of scrimmage when they have had a cheap QB that is awesome, for example?

Why?

Ted Thompson runs this thing, last time I checked.

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:27:05 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Nonsense- Give Aaron Rodgers a superior line and N O ONE could defend it. IT ISN'T THAT HARD if you dip into free agency wisely.

Aaron Rodgers has been playing behind SHIT. We can't even run the friggin' ball with an MVP QB.

Any IDIOT can see that Rodgers is going to cost us a FORTUNE, the most ever, right? Yes? which means MANY players will be lost on both offense and defense...

If we lose players, we need players to replace them.

Drafting guys who can play is much cheaper than bidding for them.

That said, maybe if Aaron didn't have 8 seconds to hold onto the ball waiting for someone to come open deep, he'd run a more efficient offense. Not that the line is great, but it's not the reason we were eliminated from the playoffs.
Rss Feed