Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:08:50 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Football Outsiders has a stat for adjusted games lost (AGL) due to injury. In 2010 we were ranked #30. In 2011 we improved to #16. In 2012, the stats aren't out for this category, but I would venture to say we may be dead last in the NFL. http://www.footballoutsi...2011-adjusted-games-lost

Here is a different look at a ranking of the most injured teams in the NFL for 2012:
http://deadspin.com/5976...ied-on-the-injury-report

Green Bay is listed dead last in the NFL, where more than 10 Packers players per week -did not play- due to injury.

Add those up over the last 3 years, and it is quite remarkable that we got a SB win in one of them. We were one of the more injured teams in the league again this past season, and that they may want to take a look at their strength and conditioning programs to try to put an end to it. There is a lot of gray in these stats, but it wouldn't hurt McCarthy and his staff to take a closer look at what they are doing, and seeing if they can improve.

I almost stopped there, but decided to look back at 2009 and 2008. We were ranked #7 and #5 respectively. http://www.footballoutsi...justed-games-lost-totals

What changed? Mark Lovat was promoted to strength and conditioning coordinator in Feb of 2010, after Dave Redding retired. Prior to Redding for a season, we had Rock Gullickson leading the way. Oddly enough, his Rams were one of the least injured teams in the NFL last season (did-not-play chart in 2nd link I posted). Think about it. We went from one of the best teams in the league, to one of the worst in terms of injury since Lovat's promotion.

http://www.packers.com/t...a-4996-8d02-4247a77c6951

They have got to do something about this. It needs to be addressed. Clearly, Lovat has made changes to what they had been doing previously in Green Bay with regards to player conditioning, and it is not working. Injuries to key players are hurting our chances at success.
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:33:35 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,704
Applause Received: 663

Even years, we get decimated. Odd years, we don't.

This goes back to 2006. Remember that year? We sucked.

2007, we bounced back and Favre pissed the season away.

2008. KGB's knee never healed and we had a slew of injuries on the defense. Teams found they could run up the gut against us, and we couldn't do anything about it. Aaron had a great year as starter, but I think we lost our last 8 games of the season.

2009. We got eliminated from the playoffs by the mafia, or we might have gone all the way.

2010. Again, decimated, but we won it all anyway.

2011. Not as many injuries, but the defense sucked. Jenkins took his football and went home, Neal wasn't ready. We shit ourselves against the Giants in the playoffs.

2012. Tons of injuries again.

From the standpoint of Traditional Chinese Medicine, I would say nourish foundatioinal liver and kidney yin. Liver yin will strengthen sinews, which means tendons, ligaments and nerves. Joints in general. Kidney will strengthen bones and teeth. Then you could add spleen, which will strengthen muscle.

They've changed trainers so many times, I tend to discount that as a factor.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:40:25 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Thanks for the laugh.
Online wpr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:40:28 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,143
Applause Received: 1,515

I have no problem with looking at the way the players train and condition themselves. It should be reviewed every year whether or not there are injuries.

But to say they ranked last or 30th or whatever is due to conditioning is simplistic at best and outright false if taken to the extreme.

I don't have time to go back and look at every single injury for the past 3 years but when a player gets both of his leg bones shattered that has nothing to do with conditioning. When the injury is so bad he loses most of two seasons it has no reflection on the conditioning program in year 2 of his injury. (Unless a case can be made that his rehab was done poorly and he should have been back on the field in the 2nd year of injury. I do not have access to any information like that so if anyone else does please share with the rest of us.)

Likewise I do not see an OLman or DLman that is locked up in a block (possibly being held) when another player lands on his legs as being a conditioning issue. He could bench press a Buick and have legs as flexible as a 12 year old gymnast and still have a season ending injury if 350 pounds come crashing down on his leg that is digging into the turf to hold his position on the block.

Sometimes bad luck happens and it can occur 2,3 or 5 years in a row.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
olds70supreme on 2/14/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed