Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 11:21:03 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Donald Driver retires.
Charles Woodson is apparently being released.
Greg Jennings seems likely to sign elsewhere.
Jermichael Finley could be released.

Three big name Packers that 'might' not play for the Green and Gold in 2013. Actually, some of my favorite players might be gone. Kind of a bitter pill to swallow.

Driver can be replaced.
Woodson I don't think the defense has any true leader out there other than maybe Desmond Bishop.
Jennings I think is a phenomenal route runner and sure handed WR which will be difficult to replace. Who of us sold on James Jones or Jordy Nelson?
Finley I don't know what these moves mean for his future. I think he signs a new contract that is more incentive based that reduces his salary against the 2013 cap.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 11:51:14 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

I learned a long time ago, James Lofton & Tony Dorsett to be precise, that you cannot marry your emotional attachment to a player upon your team (yes I was a Cowboy fan as well during my youth).. enjoy them while they are upon your team.

You can't play forever and with salary restrictions and free agency, players typically are not long for any one franchise.

That said.. still is disappointing to see players leave..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 2/15/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 12:36:57 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

I learned this when I was young. Baseball has more turnover than FB. Even if careers are longer there are a whole lot more trades.

I had to decide am I a fan of this particular team or this particular player. Without exception I chose the team as it is more enduring. A player many be one of the few to have a 20 year career but the team was there before him and will still be there after him.

I suppose that is what frustrated me with the Favrites. They didn't learn something that I figured out as a kid many/most still didn't learn it.

DD- is past time to retire. I didn't mind giving him the chance to set the Packer record. Last year was just sad. His last reception attempt was a dropped ball on an easy out pattern with no one covering him.

Woody- we could some what guess this was going to happen when they steadfastly refused to activate him the last couple of weeks of the season even though he was chomping at the bit.

Gregorious- Love his play but don't mind it if he goes for big money. Being more or less well stocked at WR sure helps the sting. Unlike if Aaron Rodgers or CM3 were to pack and leave.

UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 12:43:43 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 664

I don't see Finley being released. Traded maybe, but not released.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline yooperfan  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:13:36 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

As a longtime Packers fan I've seen many fan favorites leave for various reasons, but it is the nature of sports in this day and age.
In the 60's the turnover was rare but now it's more or less expected with agents and liars involved.
Don't worry, the next fan favorite is always on the horizon.
Like Scott Hunter!
Offline Wade  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:49:48 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

DD -- It's time. Ok.
Woodson -- Very mixed feelings. Really big cap #. But I'm less convinced than most about "how much he's lost", especially given the hybrid position he plays now. And that leadership gap will need to be filled. Leadership is a lot harder to assess than speed or tackling ability.
Finley --depends on contract size. A year ago I would have said impossible. After his inconsistent play the last couple years, he may come more cheaply.
Jennings -- I think this will be a major loss. I think it was decided months ago, though; otherwise Jennings wouldn't have talked the way he did, put his house on market already, etc.

If the only way to keep Jennings is to grossly overpay him, I understand letting him go. But if you're going to overpay some -- which pretty much any premium free agent requires -- Jennings is worth it to me. I wouldn't overpay for FInley at all. Ditto for Raji (another name that often enters these discussions) But I would for Jennings. How much would depend on how much they think its going to take to sign Rodgers and Matthews.

Biggest impact contracts given/not given in the next couple years (in order):

1. Rodgers.
2. Matthews.
3. Jennings.
4. Pickett.
5. Woodson.
6. Free agent/rookie OL.
7. Free agent/rookie DL.
8. Free agent/rookie LB.
9. Finley.
10. Raji.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline shield4life  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:09:55 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Really sucks that my favorite player is leaving GB. As stated, it's business and team success is more important than anything else.

Driver leaving GB really doesn't change anything on the offense IMO, specially after this season with the emerging of Cobb and Jones playing lights out.

Woodson leaving GB won't really change that much either, we didn't have him for the most of the time this season anyways. His a 36 years old safety / cb going 37 not getting a step faster. Truth be told, very good move by management clearing some cap room. His covering skills have been declining as well. I am not saying that our safety spot will be better just saying, having Woodson in safety or not wouldn't really change a lot.

Jennings leaving will of course be a loss but I would of been more worried if Cobb wasn't playing as he did this season and if Jones kept dropping passes which he didn't, on top of that Jennings been injury prone lately.

Finley, IMO this is his "contract year" but even if he plays good doubt it that Ted Thompson will invest $$$ to keep him around.

Rodgers will need a new contract which is priority #1
Matthews will need a new contract which is priority #2
Raji will need a new contract which is priority #3

Important thing is that we are keeping the core together and just getting rid of players that are old (Driver - Woodson). Now we just need to draft good and pick up some key FA's that can contribute like Pickett & Woodson like we did years back.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline shield4life  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:15:26 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Let's just hope they release Hawk as well!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
nerdmann on 2/15/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:28:04 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: shield4life Go to Quoted Post
Let's just hope they release Hawk as well!

wake up youre dreaming. Big Grin
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
nerdmann on 2/15/2013(UTC)
Offline blueleopard  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:31:03 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 72

This.

With the release of Woodson, the Packers might as well just go with another youth movement. Rodgers is at a point in his career where the window is closing, so we might as well open a new one while he's still in his prime. He's good enough to get us to the playoffs with a depleted team, and he'll be good enough when his team carries him a couple years from now.

Might as well release A.J. Hawk, and if Ryan Pickett doesn't want to re-structure his deal, get him gone too.

If this were my team, I'd pursue Darnell Ellerbe, Ray Maualuga, Jake Long, and Reggie Bush, but I don't see that happening.

Best case scenario if Hawk is cut would be Manti T'eo falling to the pack. Talk all the crap you want about his off the field antics with his fake girlfriend, but the guy is a monster. He'll be better than Hawk at the very least, and Hawk was serviceable.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline Pack93z  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:40:54 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post
Rodgers is at a point in his career where the window is closing, so we might as well open a new one while he's still in his prime.

Closing? For a QB at 29 years old and what 5 seasons of duty under his belt and we are closing that window already? Brady, Manning, Favre types have shown that you can play at a high level well into the late 30's. We are far from closing the window.

Every team reloads.. turns over the roster in a planned manner. Nelson and Cobb were brought in to prepare for DD and Jennings leaving. Loading up the secondary was in preparation of Woodson leaving.

It happens.. and the Packers had that plan in place for when it happened.

We have issues to fix.. heck we have had them for a couple of seasons now.. but this team is far from being depleted.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 4:14:15 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Finley is a fan favorite? LOL

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post
This.
Best case scenario if Hawk is cut would be Manti T'eo falling to the pack. Talk all the crap you want about his off the field antics with his fake girlfriend, but the guy is a monster. He'll be better than Hawk at the very least, and Hawk was serviceable.

No offense, but did you watch the National Championship game?

Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 8:08:41 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Sterling Sharpe retiring was hard for me, but nothing could match the blow of Barry Sanders calling it quits. That was the last time I got really invested in a player. I have my favorites, it just takes a few years for me to warm up to them.

I am going to miss Charles Woodson on the Packers. He and Desmond Howard are the only two players I gave effort to watch while they were in college.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:29:30 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I just want them to keep going. Why not? Finley & Hawk removed from this team would have to be considered addition by subtraction. Contract issues may put those two off for a year. Neither player performs to the value of his contract.

Driver, Woodson, and Jennings all did perform to their contract numbers, but their time was up. Jennings will make himself unaffordable, and we don't need him with Jordy, Jones & Cobb. I'm grateful to all of these players for their contributions to our success.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:30:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I just want them to keep going. Why not? Finley & Hawk removed from this team would have to be considered addition by subtraction. Contract issues may put those two off for a year. Neither player performs to the value of his contract.

Driver, Woodson, and Jennings all did perform to their contract numbers, but their time was up. Jennings will make himself unaffordable, and we don't need him with Jordy, Jones & Cobb. I'm grateful to all of these players for their contributions to our success.

Jermichael Finley offers a lot more to the team than you seem to realize. Yes, I believe he is over paid, but he played well through the last half of the season. This hating on Finley isn't cool, its naive. If one wants to hate, they should aim it no further than James Campen.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT on 2/16/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:58:34 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Jermichael Finley offers a lot more to the team than you seem to realize. Yes, I believe he is over paid, but he played well through the last half of the season. This hating on Finley isn't cool, its naive. If one wants to hate, they should aim it no further than James Campen.

The only thing that bothers me about Finley is his "ghetto" attitude. But then I cut him some slack because he is still a very young man. His talent is undeniable, but yet he doesn't seem to have the extra gear he had before the knee injury. I'd like to see him become a better blocker too, but we can even seem to get our O-lineman to do that well. I don't see Finley being released.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:10:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
The only thing that bothers me about Finley is his "ghetto" attitude. But then I cut him some slack because he is still a very young man. His talent is undeniable, but yet he doesn't seem to have the extra gear he had before the knee injury. I'd like to see him become a better blocker too, but we can even seem to get our O-lineman to do that well. I don't see Finley being released.

I'd say one issue with him is it seems he needs a fire under his ass to push himself to his potential. That's where someone like Aaron Rodgers who is sensitive about lots of things and builds chip after chip on his shoulder help him out.

I think if Greg Jennings leaves and with Donald Driver gone, there's an opening for leadership between the WR and TE's ... I am curious to see if Finley steps up and perhaps providing aforementioned fire under his ass to lead by example.

Message modified by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:44:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:31:06 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

I'd say one issue with him is it seems he needs a fire under his ass to push himself to his potential. That's someone like Aaron Rodgers who is sensitive about lots of things and builds chip after chip on his shoulder help him out.

I think if Greg Jennings leaves and with Donald Driver gone, there's an opening for leadership between the WR and TE's ... I am curious to see if Finley steps up and perhaps providing aforementioned fire under his ass to lead by example.

He definitely has a huge opportunity this season. I hope Quarless is fully rehabbed and ready to roll, because the other 3 tight ends haven't shown much.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:54:19 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

You don't dump Finley unless you have a player to replace him.

Woody, i'm saddened to see him go, but i do think it's time. He broke his collarbone twice in 3 seasons, and i wouldn't doubt if it would happen again. Or it would affect how he plays.

Jennings, he's good, but he seems to have the same attitude his sister has. And i never thought i'd see that in him.
Once again, an inflated ego rips a good player apart.
That's how i see it, at least.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:02:44 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Next year Jennings finds out how spoiled he was by who was throwing him the ball for his entire NFL career. And Jordy, Jones, and Cobb say thank you for the extra action you've created by leaving Greg.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
Cheesey on 2/16/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 2/16/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 2/16/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 2/16/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#21 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:05:13 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

SOOO true, Dakota!
A great QB can make a so-so WR into a star.

He won't know what he had till he's gone.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:05:42 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:22:23 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?

Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/...-rob-gronkowski-the-best

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/foo...ht-end-in?blockID=721734

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:27:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/...-rob-gronkowski-the-best

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/foo...ht-end-in?blockID=721734

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.

How is that enough said when it simply restates my point about Finley being overpaid? Are you saying I ended it already and you threw down some keystrokes for attention? :)

I trust PFF more than your link and of TE's whom played 50% or more of the snaps, Finley is rated 28th. And also as I stated, he started to really come on in the second half of the season, which if you look at his statistics and ratings, that is also proven too.

Edit, keep in mind, Finley was playing through a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half the season too.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:46:01 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

I recall everybody being very satisfied with the two year deal Finley signed - now he's overpaid when the bigger year needs to be shelled out? This issue with Finley is not his contract, it's his attitude and maturity.

Thinking back to the 2010 season when he got injured, has anybody ever given Quarless the praises he deserved for his role in our championship. With blocking and receiving considered, he's probably our best tight end.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed