Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:58:34 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Jermichael Finley offers a lot more to the team than you seem to realize. Yes, I believe he is over paid, but he played well through the last half of the season. This hating on Finley isn't cool, its naive. If one wants to hate, they should aim it no further than James Campen.


The only thing that bothers me about Finley is his "ghetto" attitude. But then I cut him some slack because he is still a very young man. His talent is undeniable, but yet he doesn't seem to have the extra gear he had before the knee injury. I'd like to see him become a better blocker too, but we can even seem to get our O-lineman to do that well. I don't see Finley being released.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:10:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
The only thing that bothers me about Finley is his "ghetto" attitude. But then I cut him some slack because he is still a very young man. His talent is undeniable, but yet he doesn't seem to have the extra gear he had before the knee injury. I'd like to see him become a better blocker too, but we can even seem to get our O-lineman to do that well. I don't see Finley being released.


I'd say one issue with him is it seems he needs a fire under his ass to push himself to his potential. That's where someone like Aaron Rodgers who is sensitive about lots of things and builds chip after chip on his shoulder help him out.

I think if Greg Jennings leaves and with Donald Driver gone, there's an opening for leadership between the WR and TE's ... I am curious to see if Finley steps up and perhaps providing aforementioned fire under his ass to lead by example.

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:44:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:31:06 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I'd say one issue with him is it seems he needs a fire under his ass to push himself to his potential. That's someone like Aaron Rodgers who is sensitive about lots of things and builds chip after chip on his shoulder help him out.

I think if Greg Jennings leaves and with Donald Driver gone, there's an opening for leadership between the WR and TE's ... I am curious to see if Finley steps up and perhaps providing aforementioned fire under his ass to lead by example.


He definitely has a huge opportunity this season. I hope Quarless is fully rehabbed and ready to roll, because the other 3 tight ends haven't shown much.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:54:19 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

You don't dump Finley unless you have a player to replace him.

Woody, i'm saddened to see him go, but i do think it's time. He broke his collarbone twice in 3 seasons, and i wouldn't doubt if it would happen again. Or it would affect how he plays.

Jennings, he's good, but he seems to have the same attitude his sister has. And i never thought i'd see that in him.
Once again, an inflated ego rips a good player apart.
That's how i see it, at least.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:02:44 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Next year Jennings finds out how spoiled he was by who was throwing him the ball for his entire NFL career. And Jordy, Jones, and Cobb say thank you for the extra action you've created by leaving Greg.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
Cheesey on 2/16/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 2/16/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 2/16/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 2/16/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#21 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:05:13 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 354

SOOO true, Dakota!
A great QB can make a so-so WR into a star.

He won't know what he had till he's gone.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:05:42 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Jermichael Finley offers a lot more to the team than you seem to realize. Yes, I believe he is over paid, but he played well through the last half of the season. This hating on Finley isn't cool, its naive. If one wants to hate, they should aim it no further than James Campen.


Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:22:23 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?


Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/...-rob-gronkowski-the-best

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/foo...ht-end-in?blockID=721734

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:27:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/...-rob-gronkowski-the-best

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/foo...ht-end-in?blockID=721734

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.


How is that enough said when it simply restates my point about Finley being overpaid? Are you saying I ended it already and you threw down some keystrokes for attention? :)

I trust PFF more than your link and of TE's whom played 50% or more of the snaps, Finley is rated 28th. And also as I stated, he started to really come on in the second half of the season, which if you look at his statistics and ratings, that is also proven too.

Edit, keep in mind, Finley was playing through a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half the season too.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:46:01 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

I recall everybody being very satisfied with the two year deal Finley signed - now he's overpaid when the bigger year needs to be shelled out? This issue with Finley is not his contract, it's his attitude and maturity.

Thinking back to the 2010 season when he got injured, has anybody ever given Quarless the praises he deserved for his role in our championship. With blocking and receiving considered, he's probably our best tight end.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:52:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I recall everybody being very satisfied with the two year deal Finley signed - now he's overpaid when the bigger year needs to be shelled out? This issue with Finley is not his contract, it's his attitude and maturity.

Thinking back to the 2010 season when he got injured, has anybody ever given Quarless the praises he deserved for his role in our championship. With blocking and receiving considered, he's probably our best tight end.


You recall everybody being satisfied huh? - link
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#27 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:03:46 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
How is that enough said when it simply restates my point about Finley being overpaid? Are you saying I ended it already and you threw down some keystrokes for attention? :)

I trust PFF more than your link and of TE's whom played 50% or more of the snaps, Finley is rated 28th. And also as I stated, he started to really come on in the second half of the season, which if you look at his statistics and ratings, that is also proven too.

Edit, keep in mind, Finley was playing through a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half the season too.


I was taking exception to the hater comment - no big thing Zero2Cool. Offered some very quick access articles on salary and performance. That is all this is about. I know he turned some things around in the 2nd half of the season. But, we needed him for the full season, and he was paid for the full season. That, to me, is not a good return on investment. And, we're not even discussing his blocking...

I guess the bigger thing in all of this is looking at the thresholds, where performance and pay are in line, and forecasting those that are looking to be out of line, then making the hard decisions. As a fan, we don't have much say, and for all I know the light will go on for Jermichael Finley next season. If that does happen, I do hope it is in a Packers uniform. I understand the development of players is not as cut and dried as we all might like for it to be. Finley is their guy, and they've made a pretty big financial commitment to him, along with their continued praise and encouragement from the staff.

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:58:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline blueleopard  
#28 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:10:47 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/22/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 69

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Closing? For a QB at 29 years old and what 5 seasons of duty under his belt and we are closing that window already? Brady, Manning, Favre types have shown that you can play at a high level well into the late 30's. We are far from closing the window.

Every team reloads.. turns over the roster in a planned manner. Nelson and Cobb were brought in to prepare for DD and Jennings leaving. Loading up the secondary was in preparation of Woodson leaving.

It happens.. and the Packers had that plan in place for when it happened.

We have issues to fix.. heck we have had them for a couple of seasons now.. but this team is far from being depleted.


You're just re-stating what I said in longer verbiage. I know Rodgers is talented, and he'll be like that for a long time, but like Brady, Manning, and Favre -- he won't be able to do it alone. I'd argue that he'd do it better than all the guys you mentioned, but if he continues to take 50 sacks a year, it's not gonna happen.

musccy wrote:
No offense, but did you watch the National Championship game?


Yes, but you can't let that overshadow is entire body of work for that season. You aren't chosen as the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy for no reason, especially as a defensive player.

Te'o is the most instinctive sideline-to-sideline leader in the middle I've seen come out in a very long time. Yes, he was overmatched in the National Championship -- but you have to take into account the Crimson Tide having an offensive line full of draftable guys. Not to mention that aside from Louis Nix, there's nobody that's going to be drafted out of the Notre Dame defensive this year other than Te'o.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#29 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:29:52 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

Packers have let their all-time yardage receiver retire, they are probably letting go to their "1 reciever of over the past 3 years, quedtionable whether their #1 TE will be back.
That's a lot of experience to replace just on the offensive side.

The Packers released their #1 DB, 2009 DPOY, prob. 1st rnd HOF candidate.
Questionable that their 2012 staring ML(Jones RFA) will be back,
Questionable that their 2012 starting OLB opposite Mathews (Walden) will be back,
and still a majority if you want to shit can the one LB who has been a rock at whatever position he has been asked to play.
Leading tackler in 2012, leading tackler on the team since he was drafted, started every game(but 2 in 2011}.

Yet with all the other ? this team has on defense, it seems that some of you think A.J. Hawk is the biggest problem The Packers have.

PLEASE TED CUT A.J. HAWK, absorb the 5 mil hit on the salary cap, GET HIS ASS OUT OF GREEN BAY, I for 1 am tired of the yearly A.J. Hawk has to go threads.

DAMMIT TED JUST DO IT!!!!

So some of the members can move on to their next most hated guy.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline play2win  
#30 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:53:58 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

There's that "hate" word again. Man, I just see that he is not the fastest MLB in the NFL, probably not in the top half. His coverage is lacking, is it not? He gets paid giant coin, and he's a great guy, and upstanding representative of our team on and off the field, but, what about the production? Tackles stats are deceiving. Yes, he has done a great job, and I've said many times this season how much his play looks to have been improved. Yet, he is not a LB that opponents have to game plan for. Is he?

Well, to me, being paid as much as he is, he should be.

This has nothing to do with liking the player or not.

I put some comparisons up in another thread a while ago. The SF LBs are touted top to bottom as being one of the best units in the NFL. What is it going to take for us to reach that level? Upgrading the unit. You mentioned Brad Jones, and Eric Walden, like they would be some kind of great loss to this team. Really? Why? What have they done? Get them the F out!!!!

Bring in a couple more LBs to pair with Hawk and Matthews. Fine. Maybe Hawk's play improves even further with better talent around him. All I know is other teams exposed the middle of the field against us for some time now. Historical running running totals against us. Historical passing days against us. A lot of that in the middle of our D where Hawk has been a high priced mainstay.

Is Hawk going to become faster with better talent around him? Ted Thompson drafted him very high. He continues to pay him high. It is just my opinion that we are paying way more than what we are getting in return.

Hawk's cap figure is $6.5M (salary 4.9M)
Franchise Tag LB figure is $8.3M
Average salary for LB is $1.2M

For comparison, Patrick Willis has a cap figure of $5M and a salary of $1.9M

Hawk is paid better than many LBs in this NFL. Is AJ Hawks play in the top 20? In February of 2012, there was a ranking of the top 50 Linebackers in the NFL. Matthews was ranked #4 overall. Des Bishop was ranked #39 overall. Hawk didn't even make the list.
http://bleacherreport.co...ctive-linebackers/page/2

In April of 2012, they ranked the top 40 Inside Linebackers. Hawk was ranked #32
http://bleacherreport.co...side-linebackers/page/10

I know you are a fan of his buckeyepackfan, and that's cool. I really like the guy myself. I just think we may need to upgrade, or at the very least get a pay cut in place and get some better players around him.

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:46:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
5 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

14h / Random Babble / nyrpack

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

14h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

14h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

14h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

14h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

1-Sep / Random Babble / dfosterf

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gaycandybacon

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.