Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:05:58 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 201
As stated in another thread that I didn't want to hijack, Sherman was a disaster as GM/HC. In fact, I am struggling to think of a scenario in which that combination has worked. Can anyone help? If you owned a Billion $ NFL team, wouldn't you make decisions based on what works somewhere else?

Holmgren failed in Seattle. Reid failed in Philly. I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Sherman as GM may have been the worst decision the Packers have made in the last 20 years.
Offline JustJeff  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:22:54 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post

Sherman as GM may have been the worst decision the Packers have made in the last 20 years.

Sherman as a GM was absolutely the worst. I was okay with the coach, but he had no business selecting players.

As for guys who have done both, there have been successes, but usually not as extended as those who have only one role. The last real success with complete autonomy was Johnson in Dallas.

Belichick gets a lot of credit in New England for the personnel, but I don't get it. They generally don't draft particularly well. They have had as many failures as successes in free agency. Tom Brady was nearly completely the result of one scout who completely fell in love with Brady and was right.

Both roles is a really old school concept. Bill Parcells was big into doing it all, but all of his Super Bowl wins came when he worked with a GM.

Offline packman82  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:23:51 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 12
Any coach that drafts a Punter in the 3rd round should be fired unless said Punter can punt it 80 yards with a 5 second hang time. BJ Sanders would miss kicking the chair if he tried to hang himself.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:53:21 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,311
Applause Received: 1,604
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
As stated in another thread that I didn't want to hijack, Sherman was a disaster as GM/HC. In fact, I am struggling to think of a scenario in which that combination has worked. Can anyone help? If you owned a Billion $ NFL team, wouldn't you make decisions based on what works somewhere else?

Holmgren failed in Seattle. Reid failed in Philly. I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

UserPostedImage
play2win on 2/18/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:58:47 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,311
Applause Received: 1,604
JustJeff said: Go to Quoted Post
Sherman as a GM was absolutely the worst. I was okay with the coach, but he had no business selecting players.

As for guys who have done both, there have been successes, but usually not as extended as those who have only one role. The last real success with complete autonomy was Johnson in Dallas.

Belichick gets a lot of credit in New England for the personnel, but I don't get it. They generally don't draft particularly well. They have had as many failures as successes in free agency. Tom Brady was nearly completely the result of one scout who completely fell in love with Brady and was right.

Both roles is a really old school concept. Bill Parcells was big into doing it all, but all of his Super Bowl wins came when he worked with a GM.

Johnson gets an asterisk by his name. Much of his success was due to the stupidity of the vikies. Even Sherman could have pulled out a winner or 2 with all those draft picks.
nerdmann on 2/18/2013(UTC)
Offline GermanGilbert  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 5:14:53 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 102
packman82 said: Go to Quoted Post
Any coach that drafts a Punter in the 3rd round should be fired unless said Punter can punt it 80 yards with a 5 second hang time. BJ Sanders would miss kicking the chair if he tried to hang himself.

5 seconds? This kid had such an amazing hangtime, that Mike Sherman ...

UserPostedImage

... could take a power nap until the ball came down again.[grin1]

thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 2/18/2013(UTC), Packerchick on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 9:30:27 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
Ah, the horror of the man. What a complete fuck up.
User is suspended until 5/30/2015 8:27:35 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 10:56:59 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 755
Applause Received: 1,535
JustJeff said: Go to Quoted Post

Having an elite quarterback covers up a lot bad drafting. Why do you think our division rivals all hate us with intesity.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/19/2013(UTC), JustJeff on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:19:18 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 138
The blame for Sherman goes to Wolf. I believe he wanted to throw sh1t in Holmgren's face so he gave Sherman what Holgrem wanted. JMHO Sherman had questionable credentials for a head coaching job, much less coach and GM. It's too bad some of Favre's best years were wasted without good receivers and Rhodes and Sherman.
DakotaT on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline JustJeff  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:27:02 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 16
GermanGilbert said: Go to Quoted Post
5 seconds? This kid had such an amazing hangtime, that Mike Sherman ...

UserPostedImage

... could take a power nap until the ball came down again.[grin1]

LOL I just put that pic in the other Sherman thread.

Offline yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:31:45 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 895
Applause Received: 412
There is alot of Packers years in the 70's and 80's I would like to forget but the Sherman GM days was a real bad dream.
Packerchick on 2/20/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:49:20 AM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 344
Applause Received: 289
packman82 said: Go to Quoted Post

Not just drafted a punter in the 3rd round, but traded up to draft him in the third round.

BJ Sanders wasn't even the best punter on his college team until his senior year.

And then he stank so badly that the camp leg they brought in beat him out.

And then Sherman compounded the problem by keeping two punters on the roster the whole year...
User is suspended until 5/30/2015 8:27:35 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:16:20 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 755
Applause Received: 1,535
PackerTraxx said: Go to Quoted Post
The blame for Sherman goes to Wolf. I believe he wanted to throw sh1t in Holmgren's face so he gave Sherman what Holgrem wanted. JMHO Sherman had questionable credentials for a head coaching job, much less coach and GM. It's too bad some of Favre's best years were wasted without good receivers and Rhodes and Sherman.

This is pretty insightful and probably very accurate. Mike Sherman did not have the resume' to warrant the GM/HC dual role. Mike Holmgren did, but failed. What I want to know about that time period as a new shareholder [grin1], is the foul stench that still haunts us from Super Bowl XXXII. I have heard from several sources that the game was thrown. And anybody that has taken the time to go back and rewatch the game will quickly notice a 5 ypc average for Dorsey Levens. Is there a reason other than Homgren's ego that he took the ball out of the hands of Dorsey Levens and gave it Favre? Instead, he watched the other team control the clock with a running back on morphine. Go to hell Mike Holmgren.
nerdmann on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed