Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:03:12 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

How about:

Draft: RB Eddie Lacy - Alabama

FA: NT Alan Branch - SEA

I would not mind if the Packers landed one of the most punishing RBs in the draft, and used him frequently. That would make for a huge difference in the way we run our offense. Woah man. Lacy added to our offense to take the heat off of Rodgers, and open up the passing game would be awesome. A change in philosophy along with a change in capability regarding the running game would go a long way to improving our team overall.

Can you imagine what it would be like to draft a kid who turns out to be one of the top RBs in the NFL, with Rodgers & Co firing off in a balanced run/pass assault? I'm not saying drafting Lacy would insure that, but if it happened... wow. I'd love to see it. Drafting a supreme RB talent that high might force the change in focus of our play calling, which I think we desperately need. Keep Rodgers healthy, and our own defense fresh, with an offensive game plan that puts opposing defenses on their heels by making them play honest.

Offseason. Dreaming. I doubt it would be the way Ted would go, but a guy can dream... I really want to see Green Bay pound the F out of other teams. Make toughness a mantra.
Offline Pack93z  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:09:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

Me... I would rather target Montee Ball post 1st round and address a trench player in the first. Offensive or Defensive line or if an edge pass rusher is available.. take him.

Montee Ball is more a back that fits in GB than Lacy.. he needs to be a offense that is going to pound the rock with a priority. My opinion is the Packers should be a 60/40 pass to run ratio with the back also being active in the passing game.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:11:05 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,179

I've been reading that this draft is more solid with OL and DL and LB than anything else. I think that is good, since those are three positions the Packers need to shore up.

Draft (since we're assuming regardless that the player will be a blue chip) - ILB

Free Agent - Osi Umenyiora



I changed from Safety to ILB because I think the ILB will make the current Safety better. Also, Osi Umenyiora will make the defensive backs better too.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:16:54 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I've been reading that this draft is more solid with OL and DL and LB than anything else. I think that is good, since those are three positions the Packers need to shore up.

Draft (since we're assuming regardless that the player will be a blue chip) - ILB

Free Agent - Osi Umenyiora



I changed from Safety to ILB because I think the ILB will make the current Safety better. Also, Osi Umenyiora will make the defensive backs better too.


Burnett's coming along.

McMillian was pretty raw when he came out, but I think he's just gonna keep getting better. Darren Perry is a great coach, and McMillian's got all the physical tools.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline JustJeff  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:37:33 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 2/5/2013(UTC)
Location: Backin' the Pack

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Draft (since we're assuming regardless that the player will be a blue chip) - I'm wishing for the same thing I have wanted since Dominic took over the defense, a five-tech. Give me that 6' 5" guy with crazy long arms, who can play with good lean for rushing the passer but is good with his hands and keeping guys off of him to defend the run. Ziggy Ansah and Margus Hunt - both very raw - look the part, but this is fantasy and a guaranteed blue chip, so let the board find that guy.

Pro - not exactly a free agent, but availble - give me Darrelle Revis.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#36 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:39:50 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,179

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Two players, no cap considerations, fantasy selections.


Player 1: The draft

We'll assume that regardless of the position, the Packers get a blue chipper with their 26th overall selection in the 2013 draft. Essentially, you're choosing the position the Packers need the most that will make them Super Bowl contenders.



Player 2: Choose from the list of free agents as well.
http://www.rotoworld.com...ree-agent-master-list-13



I'll go with drafting a Safety in the first round because I think a blue chip Safety would make the Packers defense damn near elite with my free agent pickup Osi Umenyiora.


Looks like the Packers drafted the "Osi" and have the Safety on board already ...
UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#37 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:46:53 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 217
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
How about:

Draft: RB Eddie Lacy - Alabama

FA: NT Alan Branch - SEA

I would not mind if the Packers landed one of the most punishing RBs in the draft, and used him frequently. That would make for a huge difference in the way we run our offense. Woah man. Lacy added to our offense to take the heat off of Rodgers, and open up the passing game would be awesome. A change in philosophy along with a change in capability regarding the running game would go a long way to improving our team overall.

Can you imagine what it would be like to draft a kid who turns out to be one of the top RBs in the NFL, with Rodgers & Co firing off in a balanced run/pass assault? I'm not saying drafting Lacy would insure that, but if it happened... wow. I'd love to see it. Drafting a supreme RB talent that high might force the change in focus of our play calling, which I think we desperately need. Keep Rodgers healthy, and our own defense fresh, with an offensive game plan that puts opposing defenses on their heels by making them play honest.

Offseason. Dreaming. I doubt it would be the way Ted would go, but a guy can dream... I really want to see Green Bay pound the F out of other teams. Make toughness a mantra.


Well we got Lacy x2 (throw Franklin in with him) and we drafted what should hopefully be the defensive line help you wanted in Datone. Your dream wasn't far off what actually happened.

Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#38 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:29:12 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Well we got Lacy x2 (throw Franklin in with him) and we drafted what should hopefully be the defensive line help you wanted in Datone. Your dream wasn't far off what actually happened.



AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME!!!!

Laughing Applause Applause Applause Applause

I really like what Ted Thompson did this draft. We will be a much different, and better team as a result. Can't wait to see these players in action this season.

Just caught this bit from McCarthy and Alex Van Pelt:

"Asked if Lacy and Franklin will alter the way the offense functions – read: will McCarthy call more running plays – the coach was good-naturedly non-committal.

“Hey, if we’re running it good a certain way, we’re running more often that particular way, that’s something we’ve never shied away from in our offense. We get into a lot of different personnel groups, obviously formation utilization is something we’ve always done. We’ve made some scheme adjustments that we’ve (provided), visiting with our players the last two weeks. We have already started that process. Lacy, frankly will fit into some of these changes we’ve made. We’ll see how it goes through the off-season and training camp. I’m excited about it.”

But considering the steady diet of Cover-2 defenses Rodgers and the Packers’ pass-oriented offense saw last season, finding a running back – whoever it is – who’ll command defenses’ respect will make a significant difference.

“If we can get that balance and get the running game going and open up the passing game, which we hope it will, that’s obviously a key to success,” said running backs coach Alex Van Pelt, a former quarterback whose time with McCarthy dates back to their time together at the University of Pittsburgh. “You always want to run well, obviously. We haven’t been satisfied, at least last year watching the evaluation. We needed to get better in that area – whether it be scheme, technique, players, adjust and adapt what we do. We had to improve in the run game, and that was addressed.”
http://www.espnmilwaukee...mp;id=7681&is_corp=1

HUGE! I really love what Van Pelt had to say here, and I think that reflects the renewed emphasis of this staff on utilizing the run.

Message modified by user Monday, April 29, 2013 8:11:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 2:13:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post

“Hey, if we’re running it good a certain way, we’re running more often that particular way, that’s something we’ve never shied away from in our offense.


Really? LOL



Quote:
“If we can get that balance and get the running game going and open up the passing game, which we hope it will, that’s obviously a key to success,” said running backs coach Alex Van Pelt, a former quarterback whose time with McCarthy dates back to their time together at the University of Pittsburgh.


What I hear him saying is, they're not gonna force Aaron to throw short, high percentage passes. They're going to use the RBs to bring the safeties up instead, so Aaron can keep throwing deep.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#40 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 2:29:58 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Really? LOL





What I hear him saying is, they're not gonna force Aaron to throw short, high percentage passes. They're going to use the RBs to bring the safeties up instead, so Aaron can keep throwing deep.



Our offense is predicated on the play action passing game. Well we couldn't do that well last year because lack there of a running game, yet he still put up numbers. I don't agree that Aaron throws it deep more times than short. Many of his TDs where short passing game and in the redzone. He's the best QB in the redzone statisticly since he started in 08'. We throw so many screens as well. There is one thing we need to get back to is the slant routes. Honestly if you can have a TD to INT ratio like that throw it where ever you want. I think he throws it all over the lot. Not just hold the ball as long as you can and throw it up and pray someone catches it.
Offline warhawk  
#41 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:12:06 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

I will put getting over the hump in THREE catagories vs. players

1) A solid draft that upgrades the running game and the DL play. I would say that's been done.

2) Improved play from 2nd and third year players where you normally want to see young players take that next step. Neal, House, Burnett, McMillian, Perry, etc.

3) Injured players back and ready to go. Sherrod, Bishop, Perry, Bulaga and a kicker with Williams and House 100% to start the spring.

If you add it up this is a lot of players coming back and contributing at a higher level which I think will go further than an ace FA or relying on some kind of miraculous draft class to get over the hump.

We have had the lousy luck of pretty darn good and important players for us that go down and stay down. This can't keep happening for a realistic chance. A game or a few games here or there, yeah. Guys get hurt. Last year for us far too many went down and never got up or never got started.

No way this years team will be easy for anybody to beat as long as we can keep them on the field.


"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 4/29/2013(UTC), play2win on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#42 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 5:40:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 395
Applause Received: 1,073

One player now that the draft is done that I think would really help solidify the Packers up front on defense for a year or two.. Richard Seymour.

He still have enough left in the tank to help the Packers bridge the gap until some of the youngsters can fill in, most notably Worthy returning to the fold from injury.

Not only that, but the guy would bring a strong presence to the locker room.. I see it as a win win for the Packers in an attempt to make the run at the Lombardi this year.

Even in a rotational role, he would have an impact.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 5/24/2013(UTC), OlHoss1884 on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#43 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:01:27 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
One player now that the draft is done that I think would really help solidify the Packers up front on defense for a year or two.. Richard Seymour.

He still have enough left in the tank to help the Packers bridge the gap until some of the youngsters can fill in, most notably Worthy returning to the fold from injury.

Not only that, but the guy would bring a strong presence to the locker room.. I see it as a win win for the Packers in an attempt to make the run at the Lombardi this year.

Even in a rotational role, he would have an impact.


Absolutely! I would love to see that kind of signing. Richard Seymour is a veteran who has done it all in the 3-4. He would be stout in the run game, and would be a good player for some of our younger guys to learn from. He could have a very positive effect on our whole DL, however, it is a numbers game, and the roster positions are tight. I doubt heavily that Ted would make such a move, but I think it would be a smart one for him to make for this season.

I don't see Worthy returning this year at all. He's young and enthusiastic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on IR for 2013. Datone Jones and Josh Boyd will make that a reality for Worthy. A full year to recover and get back into playing shape will help him.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
OlHoss1884 on 5/24/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#44 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:07:35 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,179

Signing the 33 year old Richard Seymour would seem really odd to me considering they didn't re-sign Cullen Jenkins when he was 29/30 and proven to mesh with the defensive scheme.


Seymour will not be signed, nor would he be a good addition.
UserPostedImage
Offline OlHoss1884  
#45 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:10:51 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 164

Both good calls!
While Seymour would be a good edition, there is a lot of depth on the D-Line and I think, since most of them are young, the roster we have is a lot cheaper. If Worthy is PUP and if there are some injury issues, I could see them taking a late flier on him, but I am guessing if he hasn't signed anywhere yet, he's probably asking for every down all-pro money which no one wants to pay right now.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

49m / Announcements / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Yerko

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra