Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:05:58 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 149

As stated in another thread that I didn't want to hijack, Sherman was a disaster as GM/HC. In fact, I am struggling to think of a scenario in which that combination has worked. Can anyone help? If you owned a Billion $ NFL team, wouldn't you make decisions based on what works somewhere else?

Holmgren failed in Seattle. Reid failed in Philly. I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Sherman as GM may have been the worst decision the Packers have made in the last 20 years.
Offline JustJeff  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:22:54 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post

Sherman as GM may have been the worst decision the Packers have made in the last 20 years.

Sherman as a GM was absolutely the worst. I was okay with the coach, but he had no business selecting players.

As for guys who have done both, there have been successes, but usually not as extended as those who have only one role. The last real success with complete autonomy was Johnson in Dallas.

Belichick gets a lot of credit in New England for the personnel, but I don't get it. They generally don't draft particularly well. They have had as many failures as successes in free agency. Tom Brady was nearly completely the result of one scout who completely fell in love with Brady and was right.

Both roles is a really old school concept. Bill Parcells was big into doing it all, but all of his Super Bowl wins came when he worked with a GM.

UserPostedImage
Online packman82  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:23:51 PM(UTC)
packman82

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 6

Any coach that drafts a Punter in the 3rd round should be fired unless said Punter can punt it 80 yards with a 5 second hang time. BJ Sanders would miss kicking the chair if he tried to hang himself.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:53:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,030
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
As stated in another thread that I didn't want to hijack, Sherman was a disaster as GM/HC. In fact, I am struggling to think of a scenario in which that combination has worked. Can anyone help? If you owned a Billion $ NFL team, wouldn't you make decisions based on what works somewhere else?

Holmgren failed in Seattle. Reid failed in Philly. I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

play2win on 2/18/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:58:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,030
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
Sherman as a GM was absolutely the worst. I was okay with the coach, but he had no business selecting players.

As for guys who have done both, there have been successes, but usually not as extended as those who have only one role. The last real success with complete autonomy was Johnson in Dallas.

Belichick gets a lot of credit in New England for the personnel, but I don't get it. They generally don't draft particularly well. They have had as many failures as successes in free agency. Tom Brady was nearly completely the result of one scout who completely fell in love with Brady and was right.

Both roles is a really old school concept. Bill Parcells was big into doing it all, but all of his Super Bowl wins came when he worked with a GM.

Johnson gets an asterisk by his name. Much of his success was due to the stupidity of the vikies. Even Sherman could have pulled out a winner or 2 with all those draft picks.

UserPostedImage

nerdmann on 2/18/2013(UTC)
Offline GermanGilbert  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 5:14:53 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 37
Applause Received: 87

Originally Posted by: packman82 Go to Quoted Post
Any coach that drafts a Punter in the 3rd round should be fired unless said Punter can punt it 80 yards with a 5 second hang time. BJ Sanders would miss kicking the chair if he tried to hang himself.

5 seconds? This kid had such an amazing hangtime, that Mike Sherman ...

UserPostedImage

... could take a power nap until the ball came down again.Big Grin

blank
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 2/18/2013(UTC), Packerchick on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 9:30:27 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Ah, the horror of the man. What a complete fuck up.
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 10:56:59 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post

Having an elite quarterback covers up a lot bad drafting. Why do you think our division rivals all hate us with intesity.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/19/2013(UTC), JustJeff on 2/19/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:19:18 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

The blame for Sherman goes to Wolf. I believe he wanted to throw sh1t in Holmgren's face so he gave Sherman what Holgrem wanted. JMHO Sherman had questionable credentials for a head coaching job, much less coach and GM. It's too bad some of Favre's best years were wasted without good receivers and Rhodes and Sherman.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline JustJeff  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:27:02 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert Go to Quoted Post
5 seconds? This kid had such an amazing hangtime, that Mike Sherman ...

UserPostedImage

... could take a power nap until the ball came down again.Big Grin

LOL I just put that pic in the other Sherman thread.

UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:31:45 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 275

There is alot of Packers years in the 70's and 80's I would like to forget but the Sherman GM days was a real bad dream.
Packerchick on 2/20/2013(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:49:20 AM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: packman82 Go to Quoted Post

Not just drafted a punter in the 3rd round, but traded up to draft him in the third round.

BJ Sanders wasn't even the best punter on his college team until his senior year.

And then he stank so badly that the camp leg they brought in beat him out.

And then Sherman compounded the problem by keeping two punters on the roster the whole year...
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:16:20 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
The blame for Sherman goes to Wolf. I believe he wanted to throw sh1t in Holmgren's face so he gave Sherman what Holgrem wanted. JMHO Sherman had questionable credentials for a head coaching job, much less coach and GM. It's too bad some of Favre's best years were wasted without good receivers and Rhodes and Sherman.

This is pretty insightful and probably very accurate. Mike Sherman did not have the resume' to warrant the GM/HC dual role. Mike Holmgren did, but failed. What I want to know about that time period as a new shareholder Big Grin, is the foul stench that still haunts us from Super Bowl XXXII. I have heard from several sources that the game was thrown. And anybody that has taken the time to go back and rewatch the game will quickly notice a 5 ypc average for Dorsey Levens. Is there a reason other than Homgren's ego that he took the ball out of the hands of Dorsey Levens and gave it Favre? Instead, he watched the other team control the clock with a running back on morphine. Go to hell Mike Holmgren.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed