Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:21:29 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

In the later rounds of this years draft, say 5th or later, would you advocate the Packers selecting Tyrann Mathieu?

A player that was as electric as any player in 2011.. but couldn't keep himself on the field because of off field issues. The other knock is he is undersized at 5' 9".. but it would be hard pressed not to respect his coverage skills along with his play making ability in the special teams.

In no way shape or form would he be described as a "Packer Person"... but a talented player.

If nothing else.. he could give us a return element without having to place Cobb back there. Although we still have Ross as an option.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:29:22 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,863
Applause Received: 2,023

What position? Cornerback? I have only heard the name honey badger, but don't know anything about the person/player.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:34:07 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What position? Cornerback? I have only heard the name honey badger, but don't know anything about the person/player.

Yes.. he is a 5'9" corner back that played for LSU.

Weed charges and continued use.. lead in his off field troubles. But there were other issues.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:42:08 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Undersized in an already somewhat undersized defense plus off the field issues = not worth it IMO unless he drops to the 6th or later which I doubt he will.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:56:51 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Undersized in an already somewhat undersized defense plus off the field issues = not worth it IMO unless he drops to the 6th or later which I doubt he will.

Sorry I had to giggle.. that decisive line between 5th and the 6th has been drawn. Big Grin

Now for my real comment.. is I think he goes late because the NFL, may put him in the drug testing program using their discretion. Basically, he may be tested more often than the average player thus increasing the chances he winds up unavailable for those reasons. I think he very well might slide all the way out of the rounds in fact. He wasn't just popped once.. it was multiple times he tested positive.. couple that other concerns off the field.. he is a red flag player.

Quote:
It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Players with drug test failures in college are not automatically enrolled in the NFL's drug-testing program upon being drafted, but those players can be added at the league's discretion, depending on the type of drug used, how recent the failed test occurred and if there were multiple failures.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated...index.html#ixzz2LSH89Yc1

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:07:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:09:24 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,354
Applause Received: 594

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post

If he drops out like Shields did, I'd love to see Ted bring him in. He's too short to go up against Megatron, but if the dude can play the ball in the air, there will be a place for him. Especially if he's a return man.

Losing Woody might hurt us as far as reclamation projects, but this team has traditionally been a positive environment for "malcontents."

If he pulls a Brandon Underwood, no big loss.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:14:23 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Yes.. he is a 5'9" corner back that played for LSU.

Weed charges and continued use.. lead in his off field troubles. But there were other issues.

Definitely does not seem to shy away from contact. Strips the ball out too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:26:48 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 233

In my post for the draft I had said that if he is sitting there in the 5th round to grab him. Yes, he is 5'9" but if you all want someone who is going to come up and hit a guy regardless of their size, he will do it. When I watched him play, he reminded me of a young Charles Woodson. He is EVERYWHERE on the field. He has great coverage skills and is a great returner. At 5th round, you cannot go wrong in selecting him. I'd go as far as saying even 4th round would be okay. He adds the nastiness the Packers need on defense.

For once, I advocate a player with off field issues. Not that I believe it until I see it, but he did state he is/has changed. The KID made mistakes and realizes that all he has in life is football.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:36:50 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,824
Applause Received: 1,363

LCB 38 Williams, Tramon SFA06 31House, Davon 11/4 24Bush, Jarrett W/Car
RCB 37 Shields, Sam RFA 29Hayward, Casey 12/2 23Nixon, James SFA12

Don't they normally carry 5 CB? Let's say they do keep 6. I don't see him jumping over Hayward at all. He could get past House down the road but not at the start of the season. Bush and Nixon are the bubble players. Everyone loves to bash Bush but he is a standout on ST. Will Mathieu come in and do the same? If not the best he can do is land the #6 spot on the team with an opportunity to move up in the future.

That said I would not want to use the # 5 pick on the # 6 CB on the team.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 2 applause.
Pack93z on 2/20/2013(UTC), QCHuskerFan on 2/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:49:41 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

Don't they normally carry 5 CB? Let's say they do keep 6. I don't see him jumping over Hayward at all. He could get past House down the road but not at the start of the season. Bush and Nixon are the bubble players. Everyone loves to bash Bush but he is a standout on ST. Will Mathieu come in and do the same? If not the best he can do is land the #6 spot on the team with an opportunity to move up in the future.

Good post.. I think it will be interesting already for the Packers and keeping players in the secondary. Adding another talent is questionable.. but for me, his value would be as a returner next season to keep Cobb (whom will be counted on even more in the offense) free from the duties.

But as a CB.. yes, that is one area at the moment the Packers don't need to address in the draft.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:07:56 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

But as a CB.. yes, that is one area at the moment the Packers don't need to address in the draft.

I skipped over it but of the 6 players on the depth chart, 3 of them (both starters) came off the street. This is an area that Uncle Teddy has excelled at.

So IF Tyann slides out of the draft all together...

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:26:21 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Good post.. I think it will be interesting already for the Packers and keeping players in the secondary. Adding another talent is questionable.. but for me, his value would be as a returner next season to keep Cobb (whom will be counted on even more in the offense) free from the duties.

It's not a weighted area of need, but if he's the BPA, you take him.

How many injuries did we have last year? Look at all the guys we lost at ILB. Could happen at any position. If a guy falls to you, you take him. Especially this late in the draft.
Offline doddpower  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:30:15 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 428

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

Drafting players, especially in the later rounds, isn't about getting a starter in their rookie season, necessarily. Things change so fast in the NFL. He could start his rookie season as the #6 CB, but could end up being #3+ in his 2nd or 3rd season given any number of circumstances. Viewing the pick of a talented player through the above lens just doesn't make much sense to me. Additionally, as mentioned, he likely would have a lot of special teams value, as well. Besides, Tramon Williams has been regressing it would seem for two seasons (can it all be attributed to injury?), and House really hasn't shown a whole lot yet during the actual season, although mostly due to injury. Bush is becoming somewhat expensive, and may be replaced in a season or so. He shouldn't be on the field for the defense, anyway.

Corner back is one of the Packers deepest positions, but there are still several questions about the group, for sure. Adding a good to very good talent late in the draft would be nice.

Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:46:05 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I don't have any problem with Ted drafting him if he is so inclined. The kid is a player, and many have made poor decisions early in life. He could be a gem. Might go way higher than R5 - could also fall out of the draft entirely. Green Bay could be a good fit, with a really talented group to compete against. Had he not had any off field issues, he could have been a top10? Top 20? Worth a shot in my opinion.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:57:10 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Drafting players, especially in the later rounds, isn't about getting a starter in their rookie season, necessarily. Things change so fast in the NFL. He could start his rookie season as the #6 CB, but could end up being #3+ in his 2nd or 3rd season given any number of circumstances. Viewing the pick of a talented player through the above lens just doesn't make much sense to me. Additionally, as mentioned, he likely would have a lot of special teams value, as well. Besides, Tramon Williams has been regressing it would seem for two seasons (can it all be attributed to injury?), and House really hasn't shown a whole lot yet during the actual season, although mostly due to injury. Bush is becoming somewhat expensive, and may be replaced in a season or so. He shouldn't be on the field for the defense, anyway.

Corner back is one of the Packers deepest positions, but there are still several questions about the group, for sure. Adding a good to very good talent late in the draft would be nice.

dodd I don't disagree with you. I am simply trying to add some perspective to the mix.

The basis of my post is, "Is there room for him"? "Do you want to use a #5 pick on the 5th or 6th CB"?

If the answer is yes then go ahead. If not then don't.

There are always injuries and players falling down the depth chart while others climb on every team every season. I never ever said he couldn't climb. I said I didn't expect him to be a #4 when the season opens. Which means it is possible for him to be the #4 by the end of the season.

As far as ST, I realize he can return kicks but that is not Bush's job. And GB already has Ross to return kicks. If Bush is gone who becomes the gunner? Someone has to be there to down the punt at the 3 yard line. Not every one can do what he does or do it as well as he does it.

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed