Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline doddpower  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:14:26 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,051
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
Just because he can play multiple positions doesn't mean he's not great at any position. I agree with porky, he looks amazing as a center. Definitely worth a 1st.


Of course it doesn't. However, that often seems to be the case. My criticisms of Barrett Jones aren't unique to me. Many others feel the same way, but it doesn't mean we're right. At this point, he just seems a little light in the pants and not quite "nasty" enough, which is what the Packers need, imo. As I said in my original post, however, I think he has the best chance at center, which would be great for the Packers. I wouldn't be so convinced he would anything more than service at OG or OT in the NFL, though. I think Peter Konz still weighs on my mind to some extent, too.

Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:44:35 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,480

I kind of blew up the thread with my other posts. Getting back on track. I had Jone as one of the players I would like to see them select. My hope is that he would slide all the way down to them in the 2nd round. That probably isn't very likely.

Here is what Walter has on him:

Quote:

Projected Round (2013): 1-3.
Skill-Set Summary: It is clear that Jones is a versatile athlete. He is an excellent technician. His hand placement and knee bend are picture perfect. There is no doubt that Jones has done a superb job of developing his technique. He has honed it in practice while going up against many future NFL linemen like Courtney Upshaw, Josh Chapman, Jesse Williams and Marcell Dareus.

As a run blocker, Jones has the strength to push defensive linemen around at the point of attack. He is a good drive blocker to be a power-man blocker with the mobility to hit blocks on the second level. Jones could fit as a zone blocker or in a power-man blocking scheme as a pro.

Jones is rock steady in pass protection. He is quick and shuffles his feet with speed rushers while having the powerful base to stand up bull rushers. Jones really did well at left tackle in 2011, and considering the need for the position in the NFL, some teams could consider him to be their blind-side protector.



I am not an expert but a 6-5 isn't that taller than the typical C in the NFL? After a quick check of the Free agents it looks like most C are around 6'3". only 2 where taller. I have no idea if that is even an issue. Kind of like when "experts" say a guys arms a re too short. What is inside the man matters more than some of these measurements.
I know he is able to play most or all of the positions on the line but if he is the C, I don't really want him moving over to G or T during a game. I want the C and Aaron Rodgers to have a rhythm as they exchange the ball 50-60 times or so a game.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Online nerdmann  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:55:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

ESPN

Quote:
Green Bay: There’s a shortage of top-rated running backs available in this draft, and the Packers discovered a bargain find in DuJuan Harris late last season. But there’s still room to upgrade the position, and the Packers need to search for a high-upside back who can be had in the middle rounds perhaps due to a lack of polish or concerns about an aspect of his game. Four of the top seven rookie rushing leaders from 2012 were drafted in the sixth round or later. There’s backfield talent to be had past the first round, and the Packers will head out to survey the landscape of mid-round running backs available.


Call me crazy, but I still like our RBs.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:09:38 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

I will say it again.. especially after watching him for years on Saturday's.. if the Packers have a chance at Ball in the late second or third.. they are going to regret passing him up. Custom made back for this offense.. one cut runner, can catch out of the backfield and has enough power at 215 to give us the tough yardage.

I wasn't sold on Dayne, Moss, Davis or Clay coming out of Wisconsin.. but this kid is a different breed of Wisconsin backs.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline warhawk  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:00:10 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 222

I like the Barrett Jones pick. I don't know how anyone can say they don't know about the kid when he played excellent at Tackle as a sophmore. Playing ANY OL position in the SEC as a 2nd year players is saying something let alone Tackle.

I don't know how you can complain about the OLine and then say something like D-Smith did OK at Center. Newhouse did OK, Barclay filled in OK, and all that added up to "not so good".

Look at the competition along the OL with this pick.
You have Newhouse/Sherrod on the left, Bulaga/Barclay on the right, Lang, D-Smith, Sitton, and Jones in the middle.

The only two "for sures" would be Sitton and Bulaga. I wouldn't doubt Jones couldn't beat out Lang if he doesn't get his head out.

They can't replace the whole OL but you can get a better OL by pushing the players and the return of Sherrod and Bulaga and adding Jones would certainly make for an interesting spring.

"The train is leaving the station."
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:50:36 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
I like the Barrett Jones pick. I don't know how anyone can say they don't know about the kid when he played excellent at Tackle as a sophmore. Playing ANY OL position in the SEC as a 2nd year players is saying something let alone Tackle.

I don't know how you can complain about the OLine and then say something like D-Smith did OK at Center. Newhouse did OK, Barclay filled in OK, and all that added up to "not so good".

Look at the competition along the OL with this pick.
You have Newhouse/Sherrod on the left, Bulaga/Barclay on the right, Lang, D-Smith, Sitton, and Jones in the middle.

The only two "for sures" would be Sitton and Bulaga. I wouldn't doubt Jones couldn't beat out Lang if he doesn't get his head out.

They can't replace the whole OL but you can get a better OL by pushing the players and the return of Sherrod and Bulaga and adding Jones would certainly make for an interesting spring.



I'm sure Rodgers would freaking love it...
Offline doddpower  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:15:12 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,051
Applause Received: 514

For what it's worth (not much), Mike Mayock has Barrett Jones rated as his third best center currently.

I don't think anyone is saying the packers wouldn't like to have Jones. I'm just not convinced he would be the most talented player available with the highest ceiling, which is what I would like to see. "Safe" picks just concern me sometimes. I'm hoping for the best player available with the first round pick. Perhaps that's Jones but it very well might not be. Either way, I imagine there could be worse picks, but such was the case with AJ Hawk, too.
Offline JustJeff  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:21:46 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 2/5/2013(UTC)
Location: Backin' the Pack

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Random comments in reply to several posts.

Barrett Jones... I've warmed to him. Academic All American as well as All American. As the Walter excerpt points out, he's very technically sound. He's versatile. He could get you through a game at Tackle, but let's not kid ourselves, TJ Lang could get you through a game at Tackle. That doesn't mean that you consider it anything other than an emergency option.

I think Jones would do fine at Center, but I believe his best pro position is guard. My concern at either slot is the lack of upside. Jones could start tomorrow. I think he would be rock-solid for ten years at center or guard. I think what you would get for that is an AJ Hawk-like player... a solid starter whom you like, but you've seen all he's got very early. There's nothing wrong with that, but...

Montee Ball, some think he'll produce on Sundays, some don't. I think he will. I don't think he'll be a stud, but very good value where he's likely to be selected. My concern about Ball isn't whether his game translates to the next level, but the tread. He's had a LOT of carries already. I always view runners as having a certain number of carries in them, Ball has used a lot them already.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:40:37 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am not an expert but a 6-5 isn't that taller than the typical C in the NFL? After a quick check of the Free agents it looks like most C are around 6'3". only 2 where taller. I have no idea if that is even an issue. Kind of like when "experts" say a guys arms a re too short. What is inside the man matters more than some of these measurements.
I know he is able to play most or all of the positions on the line but if he is the C, I don't really want him moving over to G or T during a game. I want the C and Aaron Rodgers to have a rhythm as they exchange the ball 50-60 times or so a game.

Neither is Walter. Just look up his analysis of Jimmy Clausen. His creditability is still rebounding.

The knock on Jones is he's not exceptionally amazing at any one position. He's just good across the board. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think he'll be an all-pro caliber center. He's assignment sound, agile enough to get to the next level, and I think he plays nasty. Do you finish? This guy does. Dodd keeps mentioning 290 as his playing weight, which is a valid concern, but at 6-5, he could easily support 300-plus pounds.

His detractors like to say he's a product of Alabama's system. That Warmack made him better. I actually think it's the other way around. I think Warmack benefited from playing next to Jones this season. Some of Jones’ best tape came against LSU and Georgia. Those are two teams with first round talent on their front seven. I thought Jones and Warmack pushed Jonathan Jenkins around quite a bit. I don’t think Jones struggles with nose guards in the NFL. He’ll struggle with quickness. Nonetheless, I'm usually not this sold on any one player, but I feel very strongly (obviously) about Jones.
Online nerdmann  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:52:20 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Neither is Walter. Just look up his analysis of Jimmy Clausen. His creditability is still rebounding.

The knock on Jones is he's not exceptionally amazing at any one position. He's just good across the board. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think he'll be an all-pro caliber center. He's assignment sound, agile enough to get to the next level, and I think he plays nasty. Do you finish? This guy does. Dodd keeps mentioning 290 as his playing weight, which is a valid concern, but at 6-5, he could easily support 300-plus pounds.

His detractors like to say he's a product of Alabama's system. That Warmack made him better. I actually think it's the other way around. I think Warmack benefited from playing next to Jones this season. Some of Jones’ best tape came against LSU and Georgia. Those are two teams with first round talent on their front seven. I thought Jones and Warmack pushed Jonathan Jenkins around quite a bit. I don’t think Jones struggles with nose guards in the NFL. He’ll struggle with quickness. Nonetheless, I'm usually not this sold on any one player, but I feel very strongly (obviously) about Jones.


Talking about a system, then talk about putting Jones between Sitton and Lang. Might help him out a bit. Especially with Bulaga and Sherrod on the outside.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline warhawk  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:36:30 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 222

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
Random comments in reply to several posts.

Barrett Jones... I've warmed to him. Academic All American as well as All American. As the Walter excerpt points out, he's very technically sound. He's versatile. He could get you through a game at Tackle, but let's not kid ourselves, TJ Lang could get you through a game at Tackle. That doesn't mean that you consider it anything other than an emergency option.

I think Jones would do fine at Center, but I believe his best pro position is guard. My concern at either slot is the lack of upside. Jones could start tomorrow. I think he would be rock-solid for ten years at center or guard. I think what you would get for that is an AJ Hawk-like player... a solid starter whom you like, but you've seen all he's got very early. There's nothing wrong with that, but...

Montee Ball, some think he'll produce on Sundays, some don't. I think he will. I don't think he'll be a stud, but very good value where he's likely to be selected. My concern about Ball isn't whether his game translates to the next level, but the tread. He's had a LOT of carries already. I always view runners as having a certain number of carries in them, Ball has used a lot them already.


The difference between Jones and Hawk is like 21 picks. Sure you expect impact picking in the top 10 but we're not. I'm not sure we could ask more than a steady 10 year performer....dead in front of our All-Everything QB. I don't know where people get that the guy is just steady and not more. He's a two time All-American and Remington Award winner. Plus, he's like a Rhodes Scholar. I mean he's supposed to be brilliant.

However, following your thinking then they SHOULD pick Keenan Allen if he's around. He's projected as a top 10 to 15 guy on a lot of boards. Higher than all the other possibilities being thrown around in this thread.

Wouldn't be my favorite pick but over a period of time he may produce a ton with who he's got throwing to him.

But it's highly unlikely unless we just luck up that there is a "big" guy on the OL or DL by the time we come around that becomes a huge impact. Not one projected to anyways.

"The train is leaving the station."
Offline play2win  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:46:02 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I will say it again.. especially after watching him for years on Saturday's.. if the Packers have a chance at Ball in the late second or third.. they are going to regret passing him up. Custom made back for this offense.. one cut runner, can catch out of the backfield and has enough power at 215 to give us the tough yardage.

I wasn't sold on Dayne, Moss, Davis or Clay coming out of Wisconsin.. but this kid is a different breed of Wisconsin backs.


I would have no problem with the Packers adding Montee Ball at RB. That would be great.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

4h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

4h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / IronMan

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann