Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:04:58 AM(UTC)
I've read a few places saying Cullen Jenkins might be released. This won't happen. They guaranteed his 2013 salary when they restructured his deal last year. So, they are on the hook for $4.5 million no matter what, and there is a roster bonus of $1 million due March 14th.

Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:28:13 AM(UTC)
The iggles let loose of Jenkins this morning.. let the speculation of a return to begin in 3.. 2..
JustinAVA182  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:33:28 AM(UTC)
Quote:
Jenkins' time in Philadelphia ends just two years into a five-year deal. All of Jenkins' guaranteed money had already been paid. The move saves $5.6 million in cap space. Part of the Eagles' ballyhooed 2011 free agent class, Jenkins ended up tallying just 9.5 sacks in 32 games. He registered seven sacks in 11 contests for the Packers during his walk year in 2010. The emergence of Fletcher Cox and the Eagles' abandonment of the "wide nine" made Jenkins wholly expendable. Still a decent enough pass rusher, Jenkins should draw interest as a role player. We wouldn't rule out a return to Green Bay.
Yerko  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:34:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I've read a few places saying Cullen Jenkins might be released. This won't happen. They guaranteed his 2013 salary when they restructured his deal last year. So, they are on the hook for $4.5 million no matter what, and there is a roster bonus of $1 million due March 14th.

via Andrew Brandt's twitter
Quote:
Eagles release Cullen Jenkins. Good guy, signed him in GB as a reserve/future free agent, developed into valuable and versatile DL.

Honestly, if there was any way for Ted to bring Cullen back...he should do it.
play2win  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:37:47 AM(UTC)
Cullen Jenkins is older and has some wear, but maybe he's worth bringing back for depth in rotation. 9.5 sacks in the past 2 seasons. I think he does have a couple of years left in him.

This is a guy who was a key player for us and should not have been let go IMO. I know he was looking to bank, but I feel the front office could have made a better effort to retain him after winning the SB. He would really be a plus for our DL and our pass rush, as well as in stopping the run. Get him Ted!
Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:41:45 AM(UTC)

lol shows what I know haha

Why would you eat $4.5 million to save $1 million? I don't get it. Unless Cullen Jenkins is now garbage??
Yerko  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:47:27 AM(UTC)
lol shows what I know haha

Why would you eat $4.5 million to save $1 million? I don't get it. Unless Cullen Jenkins is now garbage??

Maybe they are just ready to make vast changes and start going the "youth" route...regardless of money situations. Though, letting Mike Vick restructure doesn't really prove that right.

10 sacks in 2 seasons is not a bad deal. I'd say if the Packers can get him on the cheaper side, why not add him into the rotation. I'm sure he has a year or two left in the tank.

wpr  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:18:09 PM(UTC)
Why does no one say having Jenkins stunts the growth of the younger players like Worthy and Daniels. Maybe even Neal. Certainly anyone they would draft this year.

If Ted picks up Jenkins it will be after the draft is over.
JustinAVA182  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:33:16 PM(UTC)
Quote:

Free agent DE Cullen Jenkins is interested in returning to the Packers.
Jenkins never wanted to leave Green Bay in 2011, and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel isn't shooting down the notion of a reunion. Particularly with Jerel Worthy coming off a major knee injury, Jenkins could help the Packers at right end.

^
rabidgopher04  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 3:27:53 PM(UTC)
At a minimum he would be good depth, someone to rotate out with Worthy. I'm all for it.
DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:18:02 PM(UTC)
Hell to the no, should we sign Crybaby Cullen. Fuckr could have signed in Green Bay for more than he got in Philly but he had his feelers hurt. Moving on...
buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:28:51 PM(UTC)
All i know is that when Jenkins was playing for The Packers, the defense was better.

Can't hurt to talk with his agent, see if the interest on his end is real.

No reason not to explore every option during this time of the season.

Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:46:18 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
All i know is that when Jenkins was playing for The Packers, the defense was better.

Can't hurt to talk with his agent, see if the interest on his end is real.

No reason not to explore every option during this time of the season.

All I know is when Cullen Jenkins was playing for the Packers, so was Nick Collins.
PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:53:44 PM(UTC)
Would have no problem bringing Cullen back, as long as the price is right. He looks to still have some gas in the tank, He was still able to move and has been pretty healthy in Philly. Much like I thought with Cedric Benson about this time last year. Assuming he is affordable, there isn't a great deal of downside. Bring him in for competition, and also to help develop Worthy, Neil and Daniels. I am sure there are a few things he would be able to teach.
JustinAVA182  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:52:42 AM(UTC)

Quote:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers have expressed interest in free agent DL Ricky Jean-Francois.
Jean-Francois, 26, has started just five games since entering the league in 2009, but he was the top backup for the Niners at all three defensive line spots last year. Green Bay would likely give him a chance to start at right end with Jerel Worthy's (knee) season in doubt. San Francisco is expected to let Jean-Francois test the market, even though they would like to re-sign the run-stuffer.
Maybe they wont even try talking to Jenkins.
wpr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:09:17 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182 said: Go to Quoted Post
Maybe they wont even try talking to Jenkins.

this sounds like a better option.
Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:58:28 AM(UTC)
I think at the right contract number and expectations from Jenkins (IE he is understanding that he will be more of a role player in a rotation), there is value in looking at him.

Jenkins of two years ago might not be the same Jenkins of today.. while I think his departure hurt us greatly last season.. we have added talent at the spot that needs to play. Hence.. as part of a rotation I can see it working.. but if he wants the bulk of the snaps.. not so much.
Yerko  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:19:42 AM(UTC)
Adding Jenkins wouldn't stunt the growth of Worthy because Worthy will not be playing next season.
Adding Jenkins wouldn't stunt the growth of Daniels because Daniels is also a rotational player and mostly plays at the NT position.

Aside from the Ricky Jean-Francois interest, Jenkins would be one of the better things to happen to the defense. He can still play and will most likely come in at a cheaper price. The d-line is where it begins and adding Jenkins back into the mix would help this group A LOT.

If the Packers were to sign Jean-Francois, that would be a much better option. Jenkins would be a much better option than Canty.

1. Jean-Francois
2. Jenkins
3. Canty

Hell, sign both Jean-Francois and Jenkins. [laughing]

Raji
Pickett
Jenkins
Jean-Francois
Neal
Daniels
Wilson

Worthy on PUP to IR next season.

Clearly, signing them both isn't realistic. I think the Packers will go 1st round defensive line anyways(DT).
Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:37:46 AM(UTC)
Yerko said: Go to Quoted Post
Adding Jenkins wouldn't stunt the growth of Worthy because Worthy will not be playing next season.

Why.. because a media writer has said so?

The timeline would suggest a guy that will miss much of the offseason workouts and more than likely will be on the PUP.. cut color me in the camp of thinking the Worthy at worst misses a couple games to half the season over not playing at all next season. Just because McGinn speculated that his recovery may follow a Quarless more than a Tauscher isn't going to pencil me into the thought of he isn't going to play at all. Tauscher has surgery Jan 19 and returned in mid October for example... older player at that time. It certainly isn't a certain, but I think there is more evidence to a mid year return than not playing at all. Just my opinion.

Now.. for the bigger picture on adding Jenkins.. I am not opposed to it.. but as long as he understands it will be part of a rotation. Personally.. I think Jenkins fits better in a 3-4 than a 4-3 so I think it makes sense to look at it. But it has to be the right contract number and his personal expectations.. remember this is the same guy that thought the Packers didn't show him enough respect in his last contract cycle with the Packers. So it isn't like this is a guy that doesn't have a bit of ego to him.
Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:49:41 AM(UTC)
So I went to find McGinn's piece that has shaded Worthy as out for next season.. he even contradicts himself within the article.. lineman generally take longer, yet the examples cited say otherwise. :)

Personally, I think an ACL injury for a lineman with the limited range of motion needed might be a more condensed timeline than a skill player where cutting at full speed tests the range of motion and stress of the ligament over a lineman where there might be more torque on the joint but by nature is less dynamic in terms of range of motion needed.

Basically I think it is a poorly researched piece by McGinn with using Harrell at a centerpiece. Also failing to account for the severity of the Quarless injury, where both the MCL and PCL were torn severely.

Quote:
Green Bay - Defensive end Jerel Worthy has undergone reconstructive knee surgery and will have to overcome long odds to play for the Green Bay Packers in the 2013 season.

Worthy, the team's second-round draft choice last year from Michigan State, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament Dec. 30 in Minnesota and had surgery on Jan. 15.

The operation was performed by well-known surgeon James Andrews at the Andrews Institute in Pensacola, Fla., according to a source.

Worthy, 22, injured his left knee on the fifth-to-last play of the regular season. He collapsed on a pass rush after barely being touched by tackle Phil Loadholt.

Two days before his surgery, Worthy described the injury as just a severe bruise.

Worthy's hopes to play next season should be helped by the fact that he has never suffered a major injury before. But generally, it takes longer for a 300-pound lineman to come back from an ACL than a smaller player.

The last defensive lineman in Green Bay to blow out his ACL was oft-injured Justin Harrell. After his surgery in September 2010, he never played in the NFL again.

Linebacker Aaron Kampman underwent ACL surgery in December 2009 and then was ready to play for Jacksonville at the start of the '10 season.

Tackle Mark Tauscher underwent surgery Jan. 15, 2009, to repair the same ACL that he had torn in 2002. He was back on the 53-man roster in mid-October that year.

A year ago, tight end Andrew Quarless underwent ACL surgery Jan. 9 and never made it back onto the roster.

Worthy ranked fourth among the Packers' six defensive linemen in pressures per snap and sixth in tackles per snap. In 443 snaps, the third highest total on the unit, he had six pressures and 23 tackles.
Rss Feed