Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:00:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,984

This guy won't amount to anything until he's on his second team. Book it.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Bigbyfan  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:21:14 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

The main concern I have with him, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned, is that he has been out of football for a year. What kind of shape will he be in? Also that's one less year he has had to develop as a football player.
blank
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:48:40 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
This guy won't amount to anything until he's on his second team. Book it.

Why do you say that? I'm just curious. I don't have any kind of monster desire for him to be a Packers player, but if they see he is right for the team, and he's there at a decent place to take that chance...
Offline JustJeff  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:50:14 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan Go to Quoted Post
The main concern I have with him, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned, is that he has been out of football for a year. What kind of shape will he be in? Also that's one less year he has had to develop as a football player.

He's been working out with Patrick Peterson (former teammates at LSU).

The only way I see Teddy Ballgame drafting him is if he can play safety. Thompson has never had a corner under 5' 11" but has had a few 5' 10" guys at safety (Derrick Martin is the only one I recall at the moment).

Ron Wolf had a rule of "never drafting short corners." What Wolf never said was what constituted a "short corner." The cutoff for Wolf apparently (outside of bowing to his new DC - Ray Rhodes w/T-Buck), Wolf never dipped below 5' 11" and preferred guys 6' and above. Teddy Ballgame has stuck to that... rigidly.

As for the original question, I would take a late flier on him. Someone compared him to Woodson. Mathieu reminds me of a young Antoine Winfield. Smallish, ferocious in run support, coverage skills that make up for short stature. Like Winfield, I think the play-making opportunities drop, playing on Sundays.

UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:57:34 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
He's been working out with Patrick Peterson (former teammates at LSU).

The only way I see Teddy Ballgame drafting him is if he can play safety. Thompson has never had a corner under 5' 11" but has had a few 5' 10" guys at safety (Derrick Martin is the only one I recall at the moment).

Ron Wolf had a rule of "never drafting short corners." What Wolf never said was what constituted a "short corner." The cutoff for Wolf apparently (outside of bowing to his new DC - Ray Rhodes w/T-Buck), Wolf never dipped below 5' 11" and preferred guys 6' and above. Teddy Ballgame has stuck to that... rigidly.

As for the original question, I would take a late flier on him. Someone compared him to Woodson. Mathieu reminds me of a young Antoine Winfield. Smallish, ferocious in run support, coverage skills that make up for short stature. Like Winfield, I think the play-making opportunities drop, playing on Sundays.

We traded Tony Moll for Martin, just to get something. Turned out to be quite the STs player. I don't think anyone every expected him to really play a whole lot of CB.

I'm not quite sure how Ted sees this, but in my opinion, you'll only get flawed players in the later rounds. His flaw are his character (that being debatable, as I get the feeling that 2/3th of the NFL players smoke weed) and his size. You just have to ask yourself if he can contribute to your team despite those flaws... And I think he most certainly can.

Like said before, you don't put him on Calvin Johnson or someone like that, but he is physical enough and quick enough to be a great match-up against a guy like Amendola, Welker etc.

And if that doesn't work out, you still have quite the returner.

And if even that doesn't work out, he has all the tools to be an amazing STs player.

If he's there in the 5th, you have to take him. Only thing is, I really doubt that he'll be there. A team like the Bengals or Titans will take a chance on a kid like him far before Ted even thinks about pulling the trigger.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:15:42 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 569

Given his size and aggressiveness, he'd probably be a vintage slot guy. Stuffing the run, attacking the QB covering WRs and going for the strip.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline JustJeff  
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:05:31 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
We traded Tony Moll for Martin, just to get something. Turned out to be quite the STs player. I don't think anyone every expected him to really play a whole lot of CB.

Martin was a safety. My point was Wolf and Thompson don't like short corners. They were both okay dipping below 5' 11" for safeties, but not CB's.

Derrick Martin was the only one I recalled off the top of my head, and I remembered he was a safety.

Here are all of the sub 5' 11" defensive backs to whom Teddy Ballgame has given a roster slot.

S Marviel Underwood 5' 10" Drafted round 4 - 2005 (spent three years with us appearing in 16 games)

CB Therrian Fontenot 5' 10" Free Agent - 2005 (late season addition appeared in 1 game & was traded)

CB Frank Walker 5' 10" Free Agent - 2007 (spent one season with us appearing in 12 games)

CB Joe Porter 5' 10" Free Agent - 2008 (late season addition - four weeks on the roster - appeared in 1 game)

S Derrick Martin 5' 10" Trade (spent two full seasons with us appearing in 19 games)

The only guys who got any serious time from scrimmage were Walker whose combine height was 5106 (5' 10.75") and the safeties.

Thompson is okay with shorter safeties, but rarely looks at shorter corners.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Rockmolder on 2/21/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:53:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,984

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Why do you say that? I'm just curious. I don't have any kind of monster desire for him to be a Packers player, but if they see he is right for the team, and he's there at a decent place to take that chance...

He has discipline issues. He's most likely of the mindset that once on an NFL team things will be different. He's going to realize being on an NFL team is going to require more self discipline. Something he's shown he has little to none of. I'd say after he gets cut from his first team, that'll be the wake up call that he'll need to improve. Something like Cris Carter.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline PackerTraxx  
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:05:24 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

If Ted Thompson felt good about his interview I would have no problem drafting him in the 6th or 7th. I would feel much better if Woody was still here to mentor him. I'd prefer a couple of 6' - 6'2" CBs but don't pass on talent if the head matches the body.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline play2win  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:54:51 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

I will say this, it doesn't follow a line of getting bigger, faster players. In playing the Giants, the 49ers, the Seahawks, I came away thinking we must get bigger, faster, more athletic, across the board.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
JustJeff on 2/21/2013(UTC), QCHuskerFan on 2/21/2013(UTC)
Offline JustJeff  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:44:31 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Mathieu has reportedly been working hard waiting for another chance. That hard work didn't happen in the weight room. He managed only 4 reps on the bench.

No one was interested in Tim Masthay's bench prowess and he managed twice that.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:52:28 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,018

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
Mathieu has reportedly been working hard waiting for another chance. That hard work didn't happen in the weight room. He managed only 4 reps on the bench.

No one was interested in Tim Masthay's bench prowess and he managed twice that.

Correct.. but his 4.43 40 redeemed some of that as well. But the bench does concern a team if you are looking for a complete players.. not just a special teamer.

Also it has to bring into question just really how hard he is working at his craft and training.. 4 reps at 225. Upper body strength with the amount of contact and hand fighting that happens at this level is concerning.. that said, he also is not a grinder inside.

I really don't know that anyone rolls the dice much before the 4th or 5th round.. and one could see him sliding further.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline JustJeff  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:14:06 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Correct.. but his 4.43 40 redeemed some of that as well. But the bench does concern a team if you are looking for a complete players.. not just a special teamer.

Also it has to bring into question just really how hard he is working at his craft and training.. 4 reps at 225. Upper body strength with the amount of contact and hand fighting that happens at this level is concerning.. that said, he also is not a grinder inside.

I really don't know that anyone rolls the dice much before the 4th or 5th round.. and one could see him sliding further.

Exactly. He's (allegedly)5-9 & 185, and that lack of upper body strength? Bigger receivers would throw him around like a rag doll. You can't ask him to play press at all and off-man is a risk.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:19:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,293
Applause Received: 569

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

If he goes undrafted that is a HUGE advantage for us.

Agents know that undrafted free agents have a LEGIT chance with our team, not only to come in and compete, but to be coach up by some people who have been successful in taking guys off the street and turning them into starters.

Maybe he's not ready his first year. But Darren Perry is gonna have him ready in year too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline gbguy20  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:25:11 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

The guy hasn't played in a fucking year and he only manages 4 reps? I'm going to assume he spent none of that time in the gym. Why would we consider getting the guy when he obviously has 0 work ethic?
call me Dan
Rss Feed