Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:47:20 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,375
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
The guy hasn't played in a f*cking year and he only manages 4 reps? I'm going to assume he spent none of that time in the gym. Why would we consider getting the guy when he obviously has 0 work ethic?

Dude is listed as what, 5' 9"?

So he's probably shorter than that. Now let's calculate, this was what, 225 lbs? This isn't an Olineman or someone like that.

I mean I don't know. Is 225 a small amount to bench? I haven't tried it myself.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Porforis  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:55:01 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

So he's probably shorter than that. Now let's calculate, this was what, 225 lbs? This isn't an Olineman or someone like that.

If a fat, out of shape teenager like I was could do about 15 reps at 120lbs at 5'10" after 3 months of "weight training" in gym, I'd think that someone that wants to be a professional football player could manage to do more than 4 reps at 225lbs. 225lbs is a fair amount of weight (imagine bench pressing your average american holding a couple gallons of milk), but considering what the job is and his position, you've got to do a lot better than that.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:59:21 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

For context.. my sophomore year in High School I was hitting mid teens in reps of 225 with a max around 375. And I was not a gym rat due to my requirements on the farm.. although that was at times like extra gym time.

I remember hitting some of the high school camps with backs and receivers in High School beating my reps easily. I remember this because I was not going to go back and have some back being able to out bench me... lol.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:46:42 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 175

We need Safteys more than CBs imo. Well it's pretty apparent. Jennings, McMillian, and Burnett won't cut it. Obviously Burnett will start one of the safety positions. But I like him at SS more than FS. There's so much talent in this Saftey class.

Only Saftey that is possible of getting in the first round is Kenny Vaccaro from Texas. I think we only get him if we trade up. But the guy is a great player. And will fill that void left by Woodson. I wouldn't mind trading up for him.

We could get Eric Reid in the 2nd round. The guy is tall with length.

In the third round there is Bacardi Rambo and Shawn Williams two pretty good Safteys from Georgia. Shawn Williams intrigues me from his tape. Also he had 25 reps on the bench press and ran a 4.46 40.

In the 4th a guy I really like is T.J McDonald from USC. Big guy 6-2 almost 220 pounds.

We need faster stronger guys on this defense. Adding a Saftey from this draft with those tangibles makes more sense.

Offline Pack93z  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:00:20 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

My thinking would be this on Matieu, hence the late round gamble.

His short term contribution would be limited to the return game protecting us from Cobb being back there.

Long term, try and develop him as a complete player and gives us a option going forward if Williams performance slips more as his salary next season hits 9.5 million against the cap.

We don't need a corner today, but this option gives you a player of need in the special teams that may also help bridge a hole in the near future.

We have Shields, Hayward and possibly House beyond Williams.. that means we could have a depth need in 2014 to be filled.

To me.. this would be a gamble worth it in a later round. If he tanks.. so be it. But maybe we hit on it and have another player with great instincts.

I would not commit a 4th or less on him.. the risk / reward at that point just seems to great.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:37:52 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 870

Tavon Austin did 14 reps and a punter and kicker did 11 and 13
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:55:13 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 175

Combine Numbers mean nothing to me. Unless a WR, LB or DB runs slow. Linemen its absolutely useless to run a 40.. But then again Brandon You never know if these guys even care for the combine either. Maybe they'll try harder in different events. Only the drills in the combine should really contribute to their draft stock. Not the 40 or bench press.

Now what's to say about Tyrann Mathieu. hmm well first thing to come to mind is he is 5'9''. More of a nickel corner at the next level. I just don't see him fitting in our scheme. Plus he missed a whole 2012 season.. He's not worth picking up.
Online nerdmann  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:47:44 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
We need Safteys more than CBs imo. Well it's pretty apparent. Jennings, McMillian, and Burnett won't cut it. Obviously Burnett will start one of the safety positions. But I like him at SS more than FS. There's so much talent in this Saftey class.

Only Saftey that is possible of getting in the first round is Kenny Vaccaro from Texas. I think we only get him if we trade up. But the guy is a great player. And will fill that void left by Woodson. I wouldn't mind trading up for him.

We could get Eric Reid in the 2nd round. The guy is tall with length.

In the third round there is Bacardi Rambo and Shawn Williams two pretty good Safteys from Georgia. Shawn Williams intrigues me from his tape. Also he had 25 reps on the bench press and ran a 4.46 40.

In the 4th a guy I really like is T.J McDonald from USC. Big guy 6-2 almost 220 pounds.

We need faster stronger guys on this defense. Adding a Saftey from this draft with those tangibles makes more sense.

McMillian can play, he just needs to develop.

Wouldn't mind some depth though.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:39:20 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

A comparative for you.. last years CB's at the combine benched an average of 15.72 times.

Additional stats from last years class: (averages of those that participated in each event)

Average 40 : 4.57
Vertical : 34.55 in
Broad Jump: 119.17 in
Shuttle : 4.12
3 Cone: 6.88

Comparing that to Casey Hayward's combine.

Height: 71 inches (5'11")
BP: 19 times
40: 4.57 seconds
Vert: 34
Broad: 119
Shuttle: 3.9
3 Cone: 6.76

Edited by user Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:09:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:43:35 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
A comparative for you.. last years CB's at the combine benched an average of 15.72 times.

Additional stats from last years class: (averages of those that participated in each event)

Vert: 119

wow. He can jump as high as he can jump far.

try 34.0
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:09:05 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
wow. He can jump as high as he can jump far.

try 34.0

Yeah.... lol.. typo as I am compiling. BTW thanks for the combine link.

UserPostedImage
Online nerdmann  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:29:07 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

Vert: 34

Maybe his biorhythmns were down that day. lol
Offline Yerko  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:32:29 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

I forgot that how many times you rep 225 on bench determines the kind of football player you are... Laughing
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:37:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I forgot that how many times you rep 225 on bench determines the kind of football player you are... Laughing

Agreed completely.. but in a case like this, a kid looking for redemption and a ticket to potential millions.. showing up and only hitting a low number on one of the core events is going to raise more questions than anything.

He would have been better served passing on the event/test, even though that might have drawn criticism as well.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:51:22 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't but if someone can only do 3-4 that is an indicator of their strength. It means a WR won't get separation from a defender. A RB may be brought down with an arm tackle. The carrier can be stripped of the ball.

On the defense, a big strong wr can push you off like Jeffery did to Shields. Of course there is the linemen factor (both O and D.) They have to be able to move a Cadillac (with the parking brake set.) if they want to play with the big boys.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed