You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JustinAVA182  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:49:43 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

They better draft that Leon Sandcastle!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:21:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 Go to Quoted Post
They better draft that Leon Sandcastle!

A 45 year old corner.. hmmmm.. and all film on him shows a soft presence in the tackling department. Off field baggage to boot... lol.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:19:54 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
My first round my favorites are...
Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU - he's tall and has ridiculously long arms (think Jason Pierre-Paul). He's raw, but he would be an ideal 5-tech. In the Capers/Lebeau scheme, you want two beefy guys and a leaner, lengthy guy (like the Steelers have in Brett Keisel, who is only 285). Ansah played some snaps at NT at BYU despite being 280 ish. When I first started pimping Ansah, he was viewed as a third-round-ish guy. He has been steadily rising (despite being quite raw), and now, after a strong Senior Bowl performance, is viewed as a mid-first. We would likely need to move up to get him.

My real favorite - and might actually be there at #26 - is Jonathan Cooper, OG, from UNC. He's a beast, fast, nimble and a nasty attitude. I think his upside as a Center is unreal. I may be the only one who thinks this way, but in our system, I see a perennial Pro Bowler and possibly HoF. I know it's very early in the process, but I'm that high on him. Cooper was at #59 on NFL Draft Scout's rankings when I took an interest. He climbed up to the mid-teens. Then as the underclassmen declared, his projection came back to within what may be our range.

The third guy on my first round list is Eric Reid, FS, LSU. He has slipped some on the online mock boards. If their speculation is correct, we could fall back into the early second and still grab him. He would be a nice one-high type safety that we have missed since Nick Collins went down.

Cooper has SKY ROCKETED up draft boards even more now since the combine. The dude is a stud and imo, will have a better career than the highly noted Chance Warmack (he will still have a good career). This is where the combine comes into play. Warmack was slow, fat (fatter than he usually is) and out of shape and looked average in on-field drills. Cooper came in with 30 POUNDS of additional good weight, excelled in all tests and on-field drills.

Who do you pick between the two if they are on the board and your team is up and in need? Cooper is also noted as being smart so he can take command of an offensive line at the center position.
UserPostedImage
Offline coltonja  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:46:17 PM(UTC)
coltonja

Applause Given: 52
Applause Received: 29

Man it's been a while since I've posted... getting really excited for the draft. I've been scouting some guys on Youtube, so I think I'll give Ted Thompson my advice sometime soon(I am a stockholder and all).

Had a question for some of you other goofballs- What do you guys think of Margus Hunt(SMU, DL)?
"Margus Hunt is an Estonian multi-sport athlete who competes in the discus throw and shot put in addition to playing college football. He is the former world junior record holder in discus throw."

I thought that was kind of cool. He is listed as 275lbs and has had comparisons to Watt because the dude is tall (6'8") and JPP because of his freakish athleticism.

Highlights

Biggest turnoff that I have found from most experts- He's 25.
UserPostedImage

Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Offline JustJeff  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:48:16 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Cooper has SKY ROCKETED up draft boards even more now since the combine. The dude is a stud and imo, will have a better career than the highly noted Chance Warmack (he will still have a good career). This is where the combine comes into play. Warmack was slow, fat (fatter than he usually is) and out of shape and looked average in on-field drills. Cooper came in with 30 POUNDS of additional good weight, excelled in all tests and on-field drills.

Who do you pick between the two if they are on the board and your team is up and in need? Cooper is also noted as being smart so he can take command of an offensive line at the center position.

I want to cry.

I do this to myself EVERY YEAR.

Ansah was thought to be a third back in mid-November.

Cooper a late second.

They'll both be gone by 15.

Reid was good in the speed drills, but in the explosion stuff... a safety with a KEI pushing 70?

He may not be there either <sigh>
UserPostedImage
Offline JustJeff  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:53:27 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Originally Posted by: coltonja Go to Quoted Post
Man it's been a while since I've posted... getting really excited for the draft. I've been scouting some guys on Youtube, so I think I'll give Ted Thompson my advice sometime soon(I am a stockholder and all).

Had a question for some of you other goofballs- What do you guys think of Margus Hunt(SMU, DL)?
"Margus Hunt is an Estonian multi-sport athlete who competes in the discus throw and shot put in addition to playing college football. He is the former world junior record holder in discus throw."

I thought that was kind of cool. He is listed as 275lbs and has had comparisons to Watt because the dude is tall (6'8") and JPP because of his freakish athleticism.

Highlights

Biggest turnoff that I have found from most experts- He's 25.

Here's a full game cut-up of Hunt in the Hawaii Bowl. I prefer whole game cut-ups as you see every snap, not just a highlight reel. Hunt has a few really nice plays, but there's some real ugliness there too.

He seems to jog around on a lot of snaps. He plays way too upright and does so a LOT. His speed is appealing, when he gets to the tackle's outside shoulder, it's over. It's hard to say how often he will do that on Sundays, though.

UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:33:31 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Margus Hunt is a FREAK of an athlete and his combine numbers just added to it. I think he is suited for a 4-3 though. He would get worked in a 3-4 like the Packers run, imo.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/27/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:35:21 PM(UTC)
Yerko

If Manti Te'o is there at 26 and all defensive/offensive linemen worth a #26 pick are gone....do you take him?
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/27/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:45:51 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

If Manti Te'o is there at 26 and all defensive/offensive linemen worth a #26 pick are gone....do you take him?

yes

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline nerdmann  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:35:49 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 470

Doesn't he play inside?

We already have a bunch of slow ILBs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:00:39 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Doesn't he play inside?

We already have a bunch of slow ILBs.

Yes, he is inside.

Question for you without looking...do you think Alec Ogletree (Georgia- ILB) is a fast and explosive player?
UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:59:40 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Ogletree is a better pick for us. Manti Teo. I don't like him for first round value. The guy is just slipping in this draft.. I don't know what all the hype was for this guy during the season. If we are looking for a ILB if all else fails in the first round. Take Ogletree. The guy has freakish size and speed. 6-3 242 pounds. Used to play safety so he can cover people. Not many LBs on our team can do that effectively. If Arthur Brown (Nevada) falls to us in the 2nd round take him. IMO we need to take a defensive lineman in the first round. Then a O-Line in the second. Datone Jones (UCLA) or Jesse Williams (Alabama) would be great pickups in the 1st round. Barrett Jones and Travis Frederick are great picks in the 2nd round as well.

My Needs for the draft goes DE,OL,S,ILB,RB,TE,WR
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:08:46 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Here's a full game cut-up of Hunt in the Hawaii Bowl. I prefer whole game cut-ups as you see every snap, not just a highlight reel. Hunt has a few really nice plays, but there's some real ugliness there too.

He seems to jog around on a lot of snaps. He plays way too upright and does so a LOT. His speed is appealing, when he gets to the tackle's outside shoulder, it's over. It's hard to say how often he will do that on Sundays, though.

I like him he's in the backfield a lot. He's sky rocketing up boards after his combine performance. I say give him a chance if he's there. There's not a lot of 3-4 DE talent in this draft, and he can fit our scheme. Only thing is his height and his age. But I can live with it.
Offline JustJeff  
#29 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:57:20 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

I wouldn't want him second.

He's got a lot of Nick Barnett in him. He will avoid downhill angles to stay out of traffic. He will flatten out and go east/west to avoid taking on blocks. What happens to a guy like that when a team goes at him? Alabama showed it. They saw him as a chaser and took that away by going directly at him. ILBs in the 3-4 need to play downhill. It's why Bishop was an instant upgrade to Barnett.

Ogletree isn't real fast, but fast enough. He's very downhill and he's very fluid in coverage. He's similar to Bishop, but (as a former safety) he opens his hips and sees coverage much better.

Re: Margus Hunt, I think he's a boom or bust. His skill-set is very much like Ansah. Ansah (basketball background) plays with better lean and therefore better leverage. He looks more like a football player. Hunt (former track guy), produced crazy workout numbers (somewhat expected). NFL personnel people will find the numbers eye-opening, but it won't change many of their minds.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:17:49 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

I'm not that big a fan of him, but I am a fan of a guy called Hunter. WR from Tennessee. 2nd round tag, but I think he'll be gone by the time we pick.

He was one of the most promising prospects, even drawing comparisons to Randy Moss, before he blew out his ACL. When he came back from that, his production didn't return as fast as everyone hoped. Especially the exlosiveness and speed seemed to be gone, together with making some mental errors and dropping the ball from time to time.

He goes to the combine, runs a 4.44, jumps a 39.5 vert and a WR-best 11'6 broad.

And all of that at 6'4, 200.

If anything, that tells you that his exlosiveness is coming back.

The hand issue... I think we can fix that.

If we manage to pick him up in the 2nd, this could be a very, very good receiver for us for a long time... Asuming his knee will hold up.
UserPostedImage