Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:11:36 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 652
Applause Received: 1,341

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The NFL didn't force him to Houston, he made that choice. He could have stayed in Green Bay. He just wasn't allowed to participate with the organization.

So how was the organization suppose to help him? I get what you're saying though, he chose to go back to the ghetto and hang with his boys.

UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:37:06 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 406

How the friggin' hell did my name get dragged into this sh*t.

Jolly done in GB, probably NFL, also, we'll see. We retain his rights. Idiot pisses me off, they usually do. I liked his play, never want him back.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:31:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:24:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,901
Applause Received: 2,097

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
So how was the organization suppose to help him? I get what you're saying though, he chose to go back to the ghetto and hang with his boys.

I agree with you that the NFL should allow teams to help their player, after all every player is an investment of some sort. Perhaps if the Packers could have enrolled him in some structured classes or something, it would have been different. Aaron Rodgers said it was wrong of the NFL to take Jolly away from his support system, and he's right. When Edgar Bennett first came to the Packers as a non-player, his first assignment was to keep a certain player out of trouble. I forget whom it was. Teams should be allowed to do that. Assign a representative from the team to help guide a troubled player.

I heard Johnny Jolly say that he started codeine after his shoulder injury in 2009, but then I just read a quote of his saying he's had the addiction from high school.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:43:27 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 652
Applause Received: 1,341

Well Jolly certainly shirked all of his responsibility with addiction from the beginning, like most do. It wasn't until he was at the end of his rope that he finally came around and new he needed help. It would be a very good story if we stuck with him and he made it back to the field, but I think a lot of Packer fans have already written him off. I'd be pulling for him though. There isn't anything better in our country than when a person with 2.5 strikes against him makes it. Deep down, we all root for that kind of thing.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:16:34 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 1,049

Originally Posted by: TexasPackerFan Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the Packers taking him back if he's allowed to play again. Too much risk involved and I think the stress from trying to get back into the NFL will lead him right back to using and eventually getting busted again. I hope I'm wrong cause he was a pretty damn good player but off the field he couldn't get it together.

Really what is the overall risk?

He signed a one year contract with no guarantees, so if he screws up or can't play to the level they need him to, then you can simply cut him and walk away.

But if the kid can still play and he can play even close to the level he once did, 2.5 for a year is a bargain of a contract. Remember this kid may have been the best Dlineman we had.

That said.. his biggest hurdle next is two fold.. one the NFL letting him back in (the viewpoint used elsewhere (Vick, Stallworth) is that they served their time and paid there debt to society).

The second hurdle may be tougher... the courts allowing him flexibility in his probation.

I think the odds a slim he plays ball again.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:17:23 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
How the friggin' hell did my name get dragged into this sh*t.

Cause dragging your name into the fray is sure to illicit a response. :)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:28:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
The second hurdle may be tougher... the courts allowing him flexibility in his probation.

I think the odds a slim he plays ball again.

If other hurdles are ... umm ... hurdled ... I feel probation should encourage Johnny Jolly's path to the NFL, as opposed to blocking it. Then again, the NFL could provide a support system for Jolly, or it could provide him financial means to continue his addiction on a grander scale.
UserPostedImage
Offline Since69  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:43:25 AM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Well Jolly certainly shirked all of his responsibility with addiction from the beginning, like most do. It wasn't until he was at the end of his rope that he finally came around and new he needed help. It would be a very good story if we stuck with him and he made it back to the field, but I think a lot of Packer fans have already written him off. I'd be pulling for him though. There isn't anything better in our country than when a person with 2.5 strikes against him makes it. Deep down, we all root for that kind of thing.

Nah. I don't give a sh*t about any of that. I just want our D-Line to be better...
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:58:54 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 406

f*ck him. I watch how so many aspire to these so few spots, and I cannot have any sympathy. I'm sure we have let so many go that would have ultimiately been better than him as a football player in the first place, much less as a grateful (non-entitled) human being in the 2nd. He had his chances. Go bag groceries, Mr. Jolly, and reflect upon what everyone (but you) gave you to that point in your life.

I want plastic, you overly-entitled- worthless-piece- of-sh*t-waste-of-God-given-talent.

Other than that, I have no opinion. Not talking

Edited by user Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:33:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:47:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

So, since he signed the contract, and is not reinstated, I believe he is the Packers property. Right?
UserPostedImage
Offline Since69  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:13:04 AM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

I think we do still retain his rights...

Why did the league wait 9 months to reinstate him?
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:55:24 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,934
Applause Received: 1,416

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
So, since he signed the contract, and is not reinstated, I believe he is the Packers property. Right?

yep. do we have 2 threads on this?
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:03:44 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
yep. do we have 2 threads on this?

3 ... there is one in the NFL section as well.. but since he still is a player the Packers retain rights to.. it should be in the Packers section.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:59:50 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,517
Applause Received: 632

Originally Posted by: Since69 Go to Quoted Post
I think we do still retain his rights...

Why did the league wait 9 months to reinstate him?

Apparently The Commish thought he was being an a$hole. Can't say I disagree.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:46:41 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

According to the broadcast I heard the Packers have rights to him. If he's clean and is good enough to earn a spot I'd welcome him. Heck, Lewis is probably connected with a murder and will go into the HOF. Jolly paid his debt to society if he can earn a spot let him play. What he did was stupid and wrong but we have politicians and business leaders of position that have done worse and they're still free making millions and even hundreds of millions of dollars.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?