Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:41:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

JSOnline wrote:
Don't even suggest to coach Mike McCarthy that the Green Bay Packers have become an overly soft team in the last two years.

"To me, we're a physical, tough football team," McCarthy said at the National Football League combine. "I totally disagree. I don't know how you can put the tape on and say the Green Bay Packers aren't physical."

The Packers are a passing team that struggles to run against base defenses.

On defense, they have ranked 26th each of the past two seasons in average yards allowed per rush.

For these and other reasons, the Packers have been labeled something of a finesse team by some opposing personnel people and assistant coaches.

McCarthy mentioned the four-game playoff run in 2010, which ended with victory over Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

"We beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they're known as one of the most physical football teams of the last couple decades," he said.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:24:22 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

If Mike doesn't recognize that they tend to not be very physical it is going to be hard to correct. He can not look back and say "3 years ago we were physical therefore we are now as well". He can't even say that since they were physical in week 8 that they will be physical in week 9. It is a week by week, quarter by quarter, play by play issue. The whole OL can knock everyone on the rear on one play and get totally dominated all the rest of the game. That means they lose the battle.

If he can not run the ball successfully, if they can not protect AR, the team is not physical.

One the defensive side of the ball, same issue. They give up huge yards to the running back. They lack consistent pressure on the QB. (I don't care if they never get a sack. Pressure the qb and get him running for his life and throwing before he and the receiver are ready.)

Then again it is hard to get much pressure if they only rush 2 or 3 people. Ultimately I would love it if the DL collapsed the packet with only a 3 man rush. It can be done as it happens to GB all the time.

edit- It is kind of like AA. Until Mike recognizes the problem and the need for a change it ain't gonna happen.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
thanks Post received 4 applause.
Pack93z on 2/27/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 2/27/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 2/27/2013(UTC), macbob on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:13:37 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Defending toughness vebally doesn't make you tough. I believe there is some validity to the article.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Pack93z on 2/28/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:29:13 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Defending toughness vebally doesn't make you tough. I believe there is some validity to the article.

Exactly what I was going to post.. I would much rather Mike McCarthy not defend that position in the press.. try putting the proof in the pudding next season.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/28/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed