Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Porforis  
#26 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:10:43 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Aaron Rodgers is all right too. Maybe in a couple years he'll turn into something.

I don't know, he's super fragile. Two or three sacks and he'll probably shatter his femur.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#27 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:30:09 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

I'd take him over Blair Kiel or Chuck Fusina any day.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline earthquake  
#28 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:55:34 PM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 63

Perfect time to trade Jarret Boykin, I mean, just look at how his pre-season numbers compare to Jerry Rice. I've got it on good word from Greg Jennings Sister's friend's cousin that Boykin is going to be a player in this league. Who wouldn't trade a R3 for him?
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:18:50 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Dodd, those comments to the media were made even more emphatically in a private setting.

You clearly think the idea of trading Harrell for an R3 or better is preposterous. All I know is there are just a few QBs worth first and second day selections, and not many starting calibre FA QBs out there, with at least 6 teams in need of a starter.

The value of a player who has been in McCarthy's and Clements' instruction for 3 seasons, and able to sit behind Rodgers watching a league MVP work, may be worth more than you might think.

well time will tell. If the Packers keep Coleman like so many are saying (I don't know enough about him myself.) and they out right release Harrell, that means he wasn't worth a conditional 7th. If they do trade him and get a 3rd then you were right.

Most likely scenario is that they keep him as the #2 and Coleman on the PS. Just to mess with the fans.

BTW- there is a reason the preseason stats are not official stats/records. They really don't mean anything other than the guys who get lots of yards tend to play more and do so against mediocre players. There is no correlation to success or failure.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Porforis  
#30 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:17:50 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
2005 - Aaron Rodgers - 20/37, 172 yards, 1 TDs, 2 INTs
2006 - Aaron Rodgers - 22/38, 323 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT
2007 - Aaron Rodgers - 37/59, 382 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

2010 - Graham Harrell - 16/31, 166 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INT
2011 - Graham Harrell - 33/57, 287 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
2012 - Graham Harrell - 45/78, 484 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INT

So, all of this -quite definitive- commentary about Harrell's level of competency or lack thereof for the QB position is mostly based upon this very small sampling, which looks pretty close to what Aaron Rodgers did himself in his first 3 preseasons.

Those are some interesting numbers, however you need to keep in mind that in many cases he was not playing 1st or even 2nd stringers in the preseason. That being said, I still look to the games where these players came off the bench with the game in their hands, not simply coming in in garbage time to close out a game. First of all, Harrell hasn't needed to start a game or come into the game and really take over the role of quarterback. In my mind, what really stood out to me about Aaron Rodgers before he took over for Favre was coming in against Dallas and looking fairly impressive.

Aaron Rodgers:
Code:

Gamedate	Opp	Att	Comp	Pct	Yds	TD	Int	Rate
11/29/07	@DAL	26	18	69.2	201	1	0	104.8

This is all we've seen of Harrell in the regular season:

Gamedate Opponent Cmp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rate
Sun 11/25 @ NYG 1 2 50.0 11 5.50 0 0 66.7

Gamedate Opponent Cmp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rate
Sun 12/23 vs TEN 1 2 50.0 9 4.50 0 0 62.5

I just really can't see someone giving up much for a QB based on how someone's performed in the preseason and how his teammates like him. At least with Rodgers and Flynn, we saw results and poise in the regular season. The few times Harrell's been out there, he's not had the same posure Rodgers and to a lesser extent Flynn did.

That being said, I don't have too much doubt that he'll make a somewhat decent backup somewhere. But if you're a GM looking for either a franchise QB or a backup to a franchise QB, do you give up a draft pick for a QB that's been in the NFL a few years and haven't shown you much against NFL starters, or use that pick to draft a second-tier QB?
UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#31 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:34:33 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a handful of rookies I'd rather than Graham Harrell: Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nessib, EJ Manuel, and Tyler Bray, among others; and that's just from a casual college fan. It looks like Alex Smith is already traded, possibly to the Chiefs. And then there are free agents like Matt Moore et al that are serviceable as well. Plenty of choices out there for teams to develop a QB, and some of the rookies are fairly impressive in time, IMO.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#32 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 9:23:54 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

If the Pack can get a 3 or 4 for Harrell they would be crazy not to jump on it.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline macbob  
#33 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:05:02 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
In my mind, what really stood out to me about Aaron Rodgers before he took over for Favre was coming in against Dallas and looking fairly impressive.

I don't think we'd be offered much of value for Harrell until he has a coming out party similar to Aaron's.

Based on what he's shown so far, I wouldn't trade for Harrell if I were another team's GM. So, if we can find someone who's willing to part with draft picks for Harrell we should see if they're interested in any other of our bench warmers (or an inside LB or two)... Whistle
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed