Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

I remember watching Terminator thinking that would be cool.. same with Ironman.. but now that it is on the doorstep of reality.. it is uber cool. Wonder what the price tag is going to be.

UserPostedImage

Quote:

Google Glass is an all-knowing virtual assistant — is your head ready?

"One thing that we're really excited about and working hard on is transforming the way that people interact with Google." The words of Scott Huffman, Google's vice president of engineering for Search, echoed through my head as I watched a video demonstrating the search engine giant's latest sensation, Project Glass. "From the stilted one-keyword-at-a-time conversation, to more of a natural conversation … like a human assistant."

Make no mistake, Huffman isn't talking about a virtual assistant along the lines of Apple's Siri, which responds to your questions. He's talking about a way to interact with a search engine — and all its associated products — that includes it gathering so much data about your life and habits, it will start anticipating your needs. Cool? Yes. Creepy? Maybe that, too.

"If you think about a good assistant," Huffman told me, pausing to correct himself, "a great assistant … they don't interrupt you every few minutes." He described his own assistant, someone who doesn't interrupt him often, but certainly knows when she should give him a gentle reminder or a sharp kick.

"It's the opposite of the experience on your phone today," Huffman pointed out, referencing how disruptive our smartphones can be. Not only are they not capable of prioritizing our notifications, but they're mostly incapable of anticipating how the priorities themselves change depending on where we are — or what time it is.

Though Google's improved experience will span all manner of devices — "We're trying to think of it as ... your assistant is ubiquitously with you," said Huffman — it's Google Glass that has everyone talking.

Under development in the Google X Lab — that mysterious skunkworks where self-driving cars, neural networks, and other quirky yet ambitious projects are being dreamed up — Glass is the most provocative way in which this assistant, your main touchpoint with Google, might interact with you.

A small display lives on a frame that resembles eyeglasses. It is connected to a camera, microphone, bone-conducting speaker, and more. Thanks to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support, the device communicates with other gadgets, such as your smartphone, as well as the good ol' Web.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:41:12 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

By the way.. anyone else have this feeling that Google is becoming the real life Skynet? Weeeee!!
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:57:27 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I hope that they expand the concept and include a phone (basic phone functionality) into the device.. talk about hands free.

Also.. can't wait for the next generation of rules for those lacking common sense to ban these from wear while driving. Big Grin

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:18:58 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 264
Applause Received: 227

Now if they can come up with an app to display the line of your putt... Pray
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 8:22:16 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

More real life imitating art.. the 1992 film.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 8:38:26 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Last I heard, Google is running a contest, the prize for which is the privilege to spend $1,500 for one of these gizmos. I can't stand watching people texting in their cars or at the bar. Just think what a joy this world will be when people are uploading ZOMG LIVE VIDEO OF ME DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY to their Facebook.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed