Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 68md  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:21:36 PM(UTC)
68md

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2009

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 12

Started this topic on my home forum, With Flaccos numbers in Rodgers could cost $20 Million plus!

This results in 1 player eating up a huge piece of cap. Add in Matthews and your essentially building a roster with 3-4 top tier players and the rest middle tier and rookies.

Is it worth it ? Thoughts ?
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:29:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

That average numbers is misleading since it is going to be backloaded some when the club and the player will probably rework the deal.. my guess, it is going to consume about 15 million a season for a blue chip QB in cap space for 2013 to probably 2016 when the cap may increase a bit more.

Maybe even less the first year or two of the deal.
'
Aaron seems to understand that while he should get paid.. "how much is too much" and hurts the team.

Is it worth it? I say it is.. it is easier to win with and elite QB over not having one.. having one costs money... but it still leaves a large potion of the cap for the remaining peppered in stars with solid depth.

Message modified by user Saturday, March 2, 2013 4:25:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 4:18:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

Hopefully, they can get Coleman ready!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:17:09 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Why are people freaking out over Flaccos contract? He got .1m/year more average than Brees did. Very little has changed contract wise from whatever it was last week.
Offline gbguy20  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:36:58 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Why are people freaking out over Flaccos contract? He got .1m/year more average than Brees did. Very little has changed contract wise from whatever it was last week.

There is a lot of QB's who are going to be extended soon. all of which should realistically be paid less than aaron, but will probably get massive contracts thanks to flacco. the price for aaron will only get higher as more and more of them sign.
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:43:37 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Originally Posted by: 68md Go to Quoted Post
Started this topic on my home forum, With Flaccos numbers in Rodgers could cost $20 Million plus!

This results in 1 player eating up a huge piece of cap. Add in Matthews and your essentially building a roster with 3-4 top tier players and the rest middle tier and rookies.

Is it worth it ? Thoughts ?

This is your home forum, you just haven't told everyone else yet. :)

I can see Aaron Rodgers raking in $20 per but I think it's going to be some goofy inflated contract like we see constantly be restructured. I think they should go on a percentage scale. You sign for 3 years at 15% of the salary cap. It would make balancing the salary cap checkbook a lot easier. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:37:22 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
This is your home forum, you just haven't told everyone else yet. :)

If he was named 69, I bet his forum would be cooler than yours Zero. But then again, 68 was the year my mother blessed all of you with me so maybe his forum is cooler. Maybe Mr. 68 should post a link.

Rodgers is the best player in the game and should be paid appropriately. It would be a huge statement though if he signed for $15M per year.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:55:53 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Rodgers would be wise to follow Michael Jordan's path. MJ wasn't the highest paid player on his team for many years. He took less money, so the Bulls could surround him with good players. He made a majority of his money through endorsements. I hope Rodgers considers this, and does settle in around 15 million per year rather than 20 million per year. Perhaps he’ll win multiple championships as Jordan did.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/2/2013(UTC), earthquake on 3/2/2013(UTC), 68md on 3/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:07:16 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Ya these teams are overpaying their QBs.. Vick got a 100 million dollar contract after 1 good year.. It's not worth giving your QB 20 million a year. I mean seriously I could take 20-30 mil off my contract to make my team better. Especially when the league has a cap. Teams are pretty stupid giving them so much money. No matter what people say about the patriots they are probably the brightest organization every year. Starting with building a team. As they reduced Tom Bradys contract that still has him what making 50,60,70 mil? That should be enough lol.
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:33:26 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
There is a lot of QB's who are going to be extended soon. all of which should realistically be paid less than aaron, but will probably get massive contracts thanks to flacco. the price for aaron will only get higher as more and more of them sign.

I doubt it. None of those QBs coming up have the leverage Flacco did. It's not like he was just some mediocre QB having a mediocre season then suddenly came up for a contract and got tons of money. He had a phenomenal playoff performance and won a superbowl/superbowl mvp.

It isn't like Rodgers contract is going to be in the 25-30 million dollar range or something now. The max his contract will be is somewhere just above what Brees got which is what it would have been regardless of Flacco.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:01:32 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Ya these teams are overpaying their QBs.. Vick got a 100 million dollar contract after 1 good year.. It's not worth giving your QB 20 million a year. I mean seriously I could take 20-30 mil off my contract to make my team better. Especially when the league has a cap. Teams are pretty stupid giving them so much money. No matter what people say about the patriots they are probably the brightest organization every year. Starting with building a team. As they reduced Tom Bradys contract that still has him what making 50,60,70 mil? That should be enough lol.

Tom Brady's contract was extended, the money he was due in 2013 (apprx. 19mil, was converted to signing bonus money, which enables the team to spread that money out over the 3 year contract.

Tom Brady did not take any less money, he was just paid differently to reduce his cap # hit in 2013.

Clay and Aaron's contracts can still be extended, unlike Greg's who's ran out and he will become a FA on March 12th.

The only REAL number to these contracts anymore is the GUARANTEED number.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:11:39 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

I doubt it. None of those QBs coming up have the leverage Flacco did. It's not like he was just some mediocre QB having a mediocre season then suddenly came up for a contract and got tons of money. He had a phenomenal playoff performance and won a superbowl/superbowl mvp.

It isn't like Rodgers contract is going to be in the 25-30 million dollar range or something now. The max his contract will be is somewhere just above what Brees got which is what it would have been regardless of Flacco.

Flacco's overrated.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:02:47 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Flacco's overrated.

point?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:07:36 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

point?

Probably saying even if Aaron Rodgers nets a less per year average he will garner more of what he's worth, whereas Joe Flacco was overpaid for his talent.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Online dhazer  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:31:11 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 203

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Flacco's overrated.

Ya I guess he is over rated as you state and here are some things to base your statement with:

NFL records

First rookie quarterback to start all sixteen games and make the playoffs (shared with Matt Ryan)
First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games
Most starts by a quarterback in first season: 19
Most starts by a quarterback in first two seasons: 37
Most starts by a quarterback in first three seasons: 55
Most starts by a quarterback in first four seasons: 73
Most starts by a quarterback in first five seasons: 93
Most wins by a quarterback in first 80 consecutive starts: 54
Most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)
Only quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons
Most road playoff wins by a quarterback: 6
Most touchdowns in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner)
Most touchdowns without an interception in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana)
First quarterback to have a passer rating over 100 in all four games of a single postseason
Most consecutive playoff games with three passing touchdowns: 3 (tied with Bernie Kosar, Kurt Warner, and Aaron Rodgers)

with a 9-4 playoff record :(

Damn he sure is over rated what are they thinking?
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/3/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:05:39 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
Ya I guess he is over rated as you state and here are some things to base your statement with:

NFL records

First rookie quarterback to start all sixteen games and make the playoffs (shared with Matt Ryan)
First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games
Most starts by a quarterback in first season: 19
Most starts by a quarterback in first two seasons: 37
Most starts by a quarterback in first three seasons: 55
Most starts by a quarterback in first four seasons: 73
Most starts by a quarterback in first five seasons: 93
Most wins by a quarterback in first 80 consecutive starts: 54
Most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)
Only quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons
Most road playoff wins by a quarterback: 6
Most touchdowns in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner)
Most touchdowns without an interception in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana)
First quarterback to have a passer rating over 100 in all four games of a single postseason
Most consecutive playoff games with three passing touchdowns: 3 (tied with Bernie Kosar, Kurt Warner, and Aaron Rodgers)

with a 9-4 playoff record :(

Damn he sure is over rated what are they thinking?

That's great. I still wouldn't pay him.
Offline warhawk  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:01:44 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 227

The fact is Flacco's individual numbers thru the years have been decent but not earth shattering. He has played for a pretty darn good team. With that defense Rodgers probably wins 3 SB's by now.
Yes, his post season numbers this year were very good and the timing couldn't be better for him but the fact remains over the last several years they won a lot of games and didn't score more than 20 doing it. I certainly don't put him in the catagory of a player that puts the team on his back and carries them. Yeah, he did this year in the playoffs but not so much over the course of his career.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 3:49:55 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

So Joe Flacco signed a 6yr, 120 mil dollar contract.

Breer detailed the specifics of Flacco's contract.
guaranteed money -- $52 million (Drew Breese had 60 mil guaranteed)

Cap hit for 2013......6.8 mil

In 2013, Flacco will get a fully-guaranteed $29 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary.
In 2014, he's due a $15 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $6 million base salary.
In 2015, it's a $7 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $4 million base salary.
In 2016, he will earn an $18.2 million base salary.
In 2017, the base salary increases to $20.6 million, and in 2018, it's a $20 million base.

http://www.businessinsid...ary-cap-is-a-joke-2013-3

Flacco's contract is basically a 3 yr deal worth around 60 mil.

Now that the number is out there, Ted and Aaron can get together and get a deal done.

Those worried about going into "cap hell", only need to look at the structure of Flacco's contract and realize Aaron's cap # could very well go down for 2013 and even 2014.

I'm betting on a 7yr deal, 145mil,

signing bonus and guaranteed money 75 mil

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:27:25 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 year $225 million dollar "lifetime" contract that is (forgive me if you've heard this before) going to guarantee Aaron Rodgers is a Packers player for life.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 3/4/2013(UTC), gbguy20 on 3/5/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 6:23:21 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Flacco's contract does make a difference. He is far from a bad QB, but he is also not Great. He is not Rodgers, Brees, Brady or Peyton. There are some contracts coming up that could have huge impact. Cutler, Romo and Stafford could all see contracts yet this offseason or next season. And each has the potential to push the ceiling up. I have seen some projections that only have the cap getting to 130m for 2016. By that time, you would expect that Rodgers, Matthews to probably exceed 30/yr on average themselves. That doesn't count, Raji, also Jones and Nelson both will come up, Finley, Bulaga, Tramon, Burnett.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Glorydays  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:57:41 AM(UTC)
Glorydays

United States

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 4

I hope he doesnt break the bank. We need to be able to sign players who will help us win some more Superbowls before the window of opportunity closes on Aarons career.
Offline gbguy20  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:01:16 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 year $225 million dollar "lifetime" contract that is (forgive me if you've heard this before) going to guarantee Aaron Rodgers is a Packers player for life.

we'd have to change his nickname to ARod in that case
call me Dan
Rss Feed