Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:43:30 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
I agree the window is closing, but not very much at this point. Rodgers should have another five or so good years and I think that is a key. If he keeps getting sacked around 50 times a years like last year it could slam shut any time. If they surround him with good players where he is protected and get results it could stay open longer. TT's solid drafts can keep us contenders but a couple of pro bowl type draftees or free agents could put us over the hump. Granted, that's much easier said than done at our position draft wise and cap wise.

We need an OLB opposite Clay.

Be nice to see BJ Coleman come along too. Imagine being able to win even if Aaron went down.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline rabidgopher04  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 10:49:03 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
You may want to check with Kevin, I think he was being a little facetious with his comment.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's said this before.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 11:48:46 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Who wouldn't want Mike McCarthy as a head coach on their team? The man has great passion for the game, you see it on the sidelines every game. And he's a hell of a Offensive Guru and a awesome QB mentor. It's hard to think this team doesn't like him. 74-38 Record speaks for itself.
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 12:24:33 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,147
Applause Received: 1,517

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't be so sure. He's said this before.

so a guy can't have a recurring theme and still be a smart@SS? Face. Palm.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline shield4life  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 12:27:20 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Nick Perry coming back will help us a lot, his speed can be used against these new breed of quarterbacks!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline rabidgopher04  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 1:50:43 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
so a guy can't have a recurring theme and still be a smart@SS? Face. Palm.

Not Zero, never. He's a straight shooter 100% of the time.
Do you like bacon?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 12:04:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

Much like Flacco's deal.. or Brady's.. Rodgers deal will be structured so that it allows the cap hit yearly to be manageable and something that will be reworked in the future.

That is not minimizing the impacts those contracts will have on our future, but it will be more in the terms of exchanging a Woodson and Pickett for a Matthews and Raji in terms of consumed cap hit. Additionally, Ted has married this team to his more or less building through the draft approach.. so for that window to be pushed even more open again.. he has to hit again this draft for fill in pieces and Mike McCarthy and co need to continue to develop from the past two draft classes.

Looking around the league, almost every contender pass the Niners at the moment are having their windows adjusted more than ours. Maybe the Pats.

The nature of a flat cap and many teams pushing out cap hits over the past couple years. The Packers haven't done much of that.. and I don't expect much of it moving forward other than Rodgers.

The Packers have known these three players were coming up.. and entrust they have a plan to manage it and remain very much in the discussion for the Lombardi yearly.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 12:27:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Much like Flacco's deal.. or Brady's.. Rodgers deal will be structured so that it allows the cap hit yearly to be manageable and something that will be reworked in the future.

That is not minimizing the impacts those contracts will have on our future, but it will be more in the terms of exchanging a Woodson and Pickett for a Matthews and Raji in terms of consumed cap hit. Additionally, Ted has married this team to his more or less building through the draft approach.. so for that window to be pushed even more open again.. he has to hit again this draft for fill in pieces and Mike McCarthy and co need to continue to develop from the past two draft classes.

Looking around the league, almost every contender pass the Niners at the moment are having their windows adjusted more than ours. Maybe the Pats.

The nature of a flat cap and many teams pushing out cap hits over the past couple years. The Packers haven't done much of that.. and I don't expect much of it moving forward other than Rodgers.

The Packers have known these three players were coming up.. and entrust they have a plan to manage it and remain very much in the discussion for the Lombardi yearly.

This is a great thread, with a lot of good thoughts in here.

I was just thinking about this window, and what it is really. Rodgers is 29. Flacco signed a 6 yr $120M deal. We also have Matthews and Raji figuring into a pretty big payout amongst just these 3 players.

Maybe Ted wants to throw an enormous SB at one or all 3 of these players to minimize cap figures going forward, and is willing to not play at all in FA, and essentially take a shot with draft development players only this season to help offset this cost.

Maybe the window is open just a crack this year, and he gambles on that by getting all three signed, with huge sums of their contracts absorbed through gigantic signing bonuses paid out in one season, playing essentially with only his drafted and current players.

That window may open far wider than ever next season, by being a good cap position, in a year where the cap increases. Front loading as much as he can this year and taking a flyer on the season, with no big FA expenditures, could work in our favor for years to come, and I wouldn't mind it if this is Ted's plan.

My own zeal to win now, and for Ted to load up in FA for a SB run this year may be seriously unrealistic for our future, especially considering what BAL had to do to make Flacco's deal work:

"In 2013, Flacco will get a fully-guaranteed $29 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary. In 2014, he's due a $15 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $6 million base salary. In 2015, it's a $7 million option bonus (guaranteed for injury) and a $4 million base salary. In 2016, he will earn an $18.2 million base salary. In 2017, the base salary increases to $20.6 million, and in 2018, it's a $20 million base." http://www.nfl.com/news/...-includes-52m-guaranteed

Ted's task is essentially to build Mario Williams & Joe Flacco-type contracts into our scale, and that's just considering Rodgers and Matthews. I'm afraid loading up, after considering this more, may not be an option. Taking the hit now and saying we are just going to offload as much high dollar contracts as possible could actually give us a more opportunities in the future. That's all banking on Rodgers playing well at age 31, 32, 33, 34, 35...

So, yeah, maybe the window is closing this year.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:14:07 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 160

It is my understanding that Signing Bonuses are paid out in year one, but, for Cap purposes, are amortized over the length of the contract to keep this very thing from happening. I don't think it is possible to sign all 3 with big signing bonuses and put it all in this year, thus minimizing the Cap effect in years to come.

Flacco is being paid $30M in 2013 and yet his Cap hit is only $6.8M due to the $29M in Signing bonus being spread over all 6 years of the contract.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 1:54:30 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Ted does not seem like a big fan of signing bonuses. By keeping the cap in check over his time, he has been able to work the salaries so we are never in cap hell, so he has more flexibility to pay bigger base salaries and use roster bonuses which keeps us out of cap hell going forward. Go back and look at Rodgers last deal. Of the 66 million, less that 1.5 was signing bonus. Cap space of 08 was used for a big chunk, and a Roster bonus in 09. The rest just base salary mostly with small yearly roster bonus.

It is really what keeps the team in good shape. Our dead cap money is under 1 million I believe. He is very good at getting the right players paid, and protecting the team from prorated SB hits if a player doesn't pan out or gets injured.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed