Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#51 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 3:33:07 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Dude, he needs to do more than draft players and hope they can start and make a significant impact. A GM should be more than a glorified draft scout. Make some trades. Sign some FAs. Make the team better.

So he should throw big money at a player someone else has decided isn't worth it and 'hope they can start and make a significant impact'?

Last year he signed Cedric Benson, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Grant, Anthony Hargrove, Daniel Muir. Everyone of them was someone else's rejects. How did that work out?

Or should we ignore reality and just pretend that there is an All-Pro starting DE FA that is waiting to sign with the Packers for $450,000/ year on a 10 yr, no bonus contract? By all means, he should sign that one.

Or we could trade Andrew Datko for JJ Watt. Who wouldn't want to make that trade? Well, besides the Texans...

Using your language, who is the free agent that is guaranteed to 'start and make an impact' for the Packers that is not going to break the bank? Because if they are going to break the bank, I'm not interested.

Offline nerdmann  
#52 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 3:46:18 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,375
Applause Received: 1,250
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
So he should throw big money at a player someone else has decided isn't worth it and 'hope they can start and make a significant impact'?

Last year he signed Cedric Benson, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Grant, Anthony Hargrove, Daniel Muir. Everyone of them was someone else's rejects. How did that work out?

Or should we ignore reality and just pretend that there is an All-Pro starting DE FA that is waiting to sign with the Packers for $450,000/ year on a 10 yr, no bonus contract? By all means, he should sign that one.

Or we could trade Andrew Datko for JJ Watt. Who wouldn't want to make that trade? Well, besides the Texans...

Using your language, who is the free agent that is guaranteed to 'start and make an impact' for the Packers that is not going to break the bank? Because if they are going to break the bank, I'm not interested.

Ted also signed a free agent named Don Barclay who worked out pretty decently.
Offline macbob  
#53 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 9:20:56 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2016PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 363
Applause Received: 309
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
The fact that he never hits anyone BEHIND the LoS

Nerdmann--this is not aimed at you. There are a lot of similar comments out there. I'm not understanding all of the emnity aimed AJ's way.

Looking at the 2012 stats:

Only 3 guys had more sacks on the team than AJ last year.

AJ led the team in tackles for a loss and was 2nd on the team with sacks + tackles for a loss:

CMIII...13...5...18
AJ......3....6...9
Jones...2....4...6

AJ was second in tackles (behind Burnett) and WAY ahead of the 3rd guy.

The fact that Brad Jones ranked 3rd on the team in sacks + tackles for a loss (and only had 6 of those plays) says something pretty damning about the defense.

But the numbers would lead me to believe that AJ was NOT the problem on defense.

I agree (and have previously stated) that for his production I think he's not worth the contract. But that doesn't make him a bad player, just an overpaid player.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 3/4/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 3/4/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#54 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 10:50:36 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,375
Applause Received: 1,250
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
Nerdmann--this is not aimed at you. There are a lot of similar comments out there. I'm not understanding all of the emnity aimed AJ's way.

Looking at the 2012 stats:

Only 3 guys had more sacks on the team than AJ last year.

AJ led the team in tackles for a loss and was 2nd on the team with sacks + tackles for a loss:

CMIII...13...5...18
AJ......3....6...9
Jones...2....4...6

AJ was second in tackles (behind Burnett) and WAY ahead of the 3rd guy.

The fact that Brad Jones ranked 3rd on the team in sacks + tackles for a loss (and only had 6 of those plays) says something pretty damning about the defense.

But the numbers would lead me to believe that AJ was NOT the problem on defense.

I agree (and have previously stated) that for his production I think he's not worth the contract. But that doesn't make him a bad player, just an overpaid player.

This is true, and he also might look better with some bigger butts in front of him.

Still...
Offline play2win  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:56:26 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
I would say AJ Hawk would benefit from added talent at OLB, NT, DE, DT. The guy is a good, solid LB, but just not in the great category. The uproar is really all about how much he is being paid, because the contract lacks value.

People say we shouldn't pay top dollar to FAs. Well, we pay top dollar to both Hawk and Finley. That, to me, is crazy. Neither player merits top pay at his position against those in the rest of the NFL. I'd rather cut both players loose and pay for players like Dashon Goldson S from SF, Osi Umenyiora DE from NYG, Alan Branch NT from SEA. Maybe Cliff Avril DE from DET.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:29:49 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
I would say AJ Hawk would benefit from added talent at OLB, NT, DE, DT. The guy is a good, solid LB, but just not in the great category. The uproar is really all about how much he is being paid, because the contract lacks value.

People say we shouldn't pay top dollar to FAs. Well, we pay top dollar to both Hawk and Finley. That, to me, is crazy. Neither player merits top pay at his position against those in the rest of the NFL. I'd rather cut both players loose and pay for players like Dashon Goldson S from SF, Osi Umenyiora DE from NYG, Alan Branch NT from SEA. Maybe Cliff Avril DE from DET.

Goldson- Good player. Sign him and turn your back on the safeties drafted the last 2 years.
Osi Umenyiora- Perfect example of a used up, old player that has minimal value but is available in FA. Jeff Saturday, anyone? Let's not forget he is a 4-3 DE and doesn't fit in GB's defensive scheme.
Alan Branch, NT- He has had a couple good years in Seattle after a poor 4 years in AZ. But if we sign him, it ignores the DE issue and gives us another body at NT, which is a strength compared to DE. So more salary at a position that is not the biggest weakness. So we are signing a backup to Raji and expecting impact from that?
Cliff Avril- Another DE from a 4-3. Not strong against the run. So other than that he is perfect for us. We need more DL that aren't strong against the run...

Play2 Win,
I am not trying to pointedly criticize you. I am just trying to get the point across to everyone that FA is not the promised land. Players available typically have major flaws and/ or don't fit what your team is doing.
Offline play2win  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:37:51 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
We need players like Branch and Goldson. Need. Must have. That is my opinion. It is time we added some top quality veterans to our team in GB. Chris Canty wouldn't hurt either. I also believe Umenyiora would be able to play DE in a 3-4. You obviously don't. That is fine.

BTW, I agree on Avril, but if they feel the need to bring him in I wouldn't complain. Doesn't seem a fit though.

There are a bunch of players out there who could help us. I guess Q that I am just tired of these low, low, low level FAs that Ted signs that really go nowhere. Most get cut before the first game of the season.

I really thought we needed some balance after the 2011 season, being one of the youngest teams, again. Had we had some balance, we might have competed a bit better. You know, those games that can seem larger than life. First game of the season v. SF. Then getting shell shocked when we had no business being so in SEA. NYG comes to mind. Playoffs...

Seems a veteran S, especially a really good one like Goldson would be perfect. Same with a vet NT to jump in and rotate through at NT with Raji and Pickett.

All I know is Ted has proven through the last two years that all of these needs cannot be met through the draft alone. They just can't. We need some vets. Good ones.
Offline DakotaT  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:20:43 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 948
Applause Received: 1,931
All I know is that we are paying fillet mignon prices for Hawk's marinaded sirloin. If that sits all right with some of you cause you don't know any better, or you root for whoever the Packers put on the field; so be it. Hawk has us over a barrell this year. He should probably volunteer to restructure, but that would be a humility move most people don't have the character for.

We need a major upgrade at linebacker. You can't play the 3-4 with mediocre linebackers.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:26:06 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 699
Applause Received: 718
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
All I know is that we are paying fillet mignon prices for Hawk's marinaded sirloin. If that sits all right with some of you cause you don't know any better, or you root for whoever the Packers put on the field; so be it. Hawk has us over a barrell this year. He should probably volunteer to restructure, but that would be a humility move most people don't have the character for.

We need a major upgrade at linebacker. You can't play the 3-4 with mediocre linebackers.

WHOA WHOA WHOA Mr. "this is a business". Goes both ways buddy.

Just another futile attempt by you to make A.J. Hawk out to be the bad guy.

It wasn't Hawk who stormed into Ted Thompsons office demanding to be paid.

Try to remember(the facts) Ted released Hawk one day, then signed him the next day.

I guess that would mean Ted and A.J. and his agent met and dicussed the situation at the time and decided what was best for The Green Bay Packers and A.J. Hawk.

Now I haven't heard or read one thing about Ted going to Hawk or his agent to talk about a restructure.

It's the GM's job to initiate such an action, it's not the players responsibility.

Now you're questioning A.J. Hawks character???????

What a joke you have become on this subject.

[horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse]
[roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao]
Offline DakotaT  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:59:29 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 948
Applause Received: 1,931
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA Mr. "this is a business". Goes both ways buddy.

Just another futile attempt by you to make A.J. Hawk out to be the bad guy.

It wasn't Hawk who stormed into Ted Thompsons office demanding to be paid.

Try to remember(the facts) Ted released Hawk one day, then signed him the next day.

I guess that would mean Ted and A.J. and his agent met and dicussed the situation at the time and decided what was best for The Green Bay Packers and A.J. Hawk.

Now I haven't heard or read one thing about Ted going to Hawk or his agent to talk about a restructure.

It's the GM's job to initiate such an action, it's not the players responsibility.

Now you're questioning A.J. Hawks character???????

What a joke you have become on this subject.

[horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse] [horse]
[roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao] [roflmao]

I love the way you interpret my posts - you're the only one to interpret them that way which makes you special I guess. I didn't say anything about AJ's character. I said it would take special character to volunteer to take a pay cut, and it would be shrewd move by Hawk.

It's funny you didn't learn anything from the beatdown you took from other posters on this topic the other day. It was thoroughly enjoyable on my end, and I didn't have to utter a post.
Rss Feed