Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:40:50 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Long snapper.

If Ted took a G, I would assume he's playing C or they're moving Lang over.

I honestly do have a great deal of faith in Ted. He's probably looking at what position will have contracts coming up in two years. Either way, he's a great talent evaluator and whoever he takes is probably gonna be good.

Our biggest need right now is general depth.

I'd like to see OLB and DL, but we can be stocked anywhere right now and it would help.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:17:07 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Buckeye, you're not alone.

For me, it would have to be OG. A close second would be CB. That's all discounting QB, P, K...

Watch, we draft OG and CB with our first two picks!
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:22:48 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

QB or P. Best player available or no, you don't need to draft someone that has zero value for your team when we've got holes to fill.
UserPostedImage
Offline JustJeff  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:28:22 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

If I were running the draft, Cooper would be the only offensive player I would want at #26.

I don't think a position selection would tick me off. Slot value might, but Teddy Ballgame reaching at a slot? How can you get mad at Teddy Ballgame when the whole world thought Nick Collins was a reach?

When it comes to the draft, in Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson I trust.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:49:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
If I were running the draft, Cooper would be the only offensive player I would want at #26.

I don't think a position selection would tick me off. Slot value might, but Teddy Ballgame reaching at a slot? How can you get mad at Teddy Ballgame when the whole world thought Nick Collins was a reach?

When it comes to the draft, in Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson I trust.

World minus the Ravens who called Ted Thompson saying Collins was gonna be good and they were going to take him. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:57:55 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 160

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
QB or P. Best player available or no, you don't need to draft someone that has zero value for your team when we've got holes to fill.

Isn't that how we got AR?

I agree with you, but I just found it ironic when I read this.
Offline play2win  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:07:55 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Isn't that how we got AR?

I agree with you, but I just found it ironic when I read this.

No. Favre's successor WAS a hole to fill. Without question. He had been feigning retirement for some time prior. The fact that Rodgers dropped in our laps was a giant stroke of good luck. He was mocked to go #4 to TB by Walter.

We had defensive needs at the time in our secondary. Walter had us mocked to pick CB R1, then to pick QB Charlie Frye R2. I saw Matt Cassel as our R1 pick in a Scout mock. So, word was out, and really, it was common knowledge that we needed a QB. Fave was entering his 14th season.

Not bustin' your balls QCHuskerFan, but that is the way it was then. I think nearly everyone thought, "well, OK..." when we went Rodgers. The pick made perfect sense. Favre had seemed invincible, but everyone knew his time was running out, and getting his replacement was imperative over those next two seasons.

Funny too, that those defensive needs were addressed with Ted's R2 pick of Nick Collins. What a draft!
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:45:51 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 160

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
No. Favre's successor WAS a hole to fill. Without question. He had been feigning retirement for some time prior. The fact that Rodgers dropped in our laps was a giant stroke of good luck. He was mocked to go #4 to TB by Walter.

We had defensive needs at the time in our secondary. Walter had us mocked to pick CB R1, then to pick QB Charlie Frye R2. I saw Matt Cassel as our R1 pick in a Scout mock. So, word was out, and really, it was common knowledge that we needed a QB. Fave was entering his 14th season.

Not bustin' your balls QCHuskerFan, but that is the way it was then. I think nearly everyone thought, "well, OK..." when we went Rodgers. The pick made perfect sense. Favre had seemed invincible, but everyone knew his time was running out, and getting his replacement was imperative over those next two seasons.

Funny too, that those defensive needs were addressed with Ted's R2 pick of Nick Collins. What a draft!

We look at value differently. Aaron Rodgers contributed nothing to the team in the 3 years after he was drafted. In hindsight, was it a great pick, yes. But to me, it offered zero value at the time. And for the following 2 years. Unique situation, though.

Don't distort history. There was a tremendous amount of criticism at the time. The team had immediate needs. They had gone 10-6 the previous season and were the #3 playoff seed. They were outclassed in Rd 1 of the playoffs. I would suggest that most people felt that team's window was small, just like right now. TT's pick addressed none of the needs that would get that team farther in the playoffs. Plenty of people were pissed! Favre was at the front of the line. Instead of giving him a player of immediate use, Ted Thompson chose someone that wouldn't see the field. Packers ended 2005 at 4-12 and out of the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers offered no value to that team or the following 2 years.

If Ted Thompson picked someone this year in the first round that was not expected would see the field this year, would you see value?
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:52:30 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

We look at value differently. Aaron Rodgers contributed nothing to the team in the 3 years after he was drafted. In hindsight, was it a great pick, yes. But to me, it offered zero value at the time. And for the following 2 years. Unique situation, though.

Don't distort history. There was a tremendous amount of criticism at the time. The team had immediate needs. They had gone 10-6 the previous season and were the #3 playoff seed. They were outclassed in Rd 1 of the playoffs. I would suggest that most people felt that team's window was small, just like right now. TT's pick addressed none of the needs that would get that team farther in the playoffs. Plenty of people were pissed! Favre was at the front of the line. Instead of giving him a player of immediate use, Ted Thompson chose someone that wouldn't see the field. Packers ended 2005 at 4-12 and out of the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers offered no value to that team or the following 2 years.

If Ted Thompson picked someone this year in the first round that was not expected would see the field this year, would you see value?

In the same regard there are a couple of other factors.

1. Favre's yearly dance with retirement.. Rodgers slipping to us only helped push the timeline (by a couple of rounds maybe) the need to find a successor.

2. Additionally that was an aging team that had cap issues and some real depth concern, hence Sherman being relived by Thompson in the first place.

3. We currently still have a team with a relatively large window of opportunity with Rodgers at the helm to make some noise. Favre was closer to the end than the beginning and with the roster being turned over because of issue #2 it wasn't clear how fast the team could reload for a run.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:09:53 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

I would be pissed.

And please, don't give me that distort history BS. I clearly said we needed help in the secondary going into that draft. AND we needed an eventual replacement for Favre. YOU are distorting history by saying we didn't need a QB.

Big difference with Rodgers going into his 8th season, vs. Favre going into his 14th.
Rss Feed