Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:10:21 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 100

Many threads have been discussing Free agency and what Ted Thompson should do. So what is the #1 need? Is it LB? DT or S?

You can argue all you like. If you answer anything other than QB, you're wrong. It is the only position where if we suffer an injury, the year is over. In my opinion.
blank
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:25:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,303
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Many threads have been discussing Free agency and what Ted Thompson should do. So what is the #1 need? Is it LB? DT or S?

You can argue all you like. If you answer anything other than QB, you're wrong. It is the only position where if we suffer an injury, the year is over. In my opinion.

Harrell can get us through. We got a ton of weapons on offense. Plus Coleman is gonna get an offseason in the QB school, it's unknown how big his year 2 leap is gonna be.

Far as I'm concerned our biggest need is still OLB, then DL.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:30:36 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I don't think there is just one need that outweighs the others. To me, I see DE, DT, NT and OLB as top needs, followed by S, C, ILB, LT and RB.

Our sack totals were decent last season, but our takeaways dropped, and our run D was abysmal. We really need to shut down the run, and more size and speed up front would help. I thought we lacked athleticism on the outside opposite Matthews, and I'm a bit concerned about trusting Perry to come back all the way and make that a non-issue.

I think our O, as it stands is sound. I don't see any giant, gaping holes there in the starters. Newhouse is not the best LT, but he's not the worst either. I think EDS will be great at C. And I like DuJuan Harris. Good back.

If I had to pick one as a supreme need for the Packers it would be a top DE talent. The entire line needs solid additions at all 3 positions. I would love to get an athletic LB that we could employ as a spy against those running QBs.

If Perry and Bish can come back from injury and make significant contributions throughout the season, that would be huge! But, we need DL help in the worst way.
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:37:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

We have Harrell that has been in the system for a couple of years now and Coleman which many people are raving about. There isn't a guy available that is going to replace Rodgers in free agency... and why draft another rookie when we have a young'in on the roster.

Now.. if we get late in the draft and a guy is sitting there and looking pretty.. take him.. otherwise I have more confidence in our current options than relying on a solution this offseason for the upcoming season.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:11:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:02:51 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Lets trade for Brady, Peyton and Brees. Can't have to much good depth at QB.

but then Ted will be calling me to be the LT because I'm am all they will be able to afford.

Oline,Dline,LB are our three main areas of need. Improve teh Oline, will keep Rodgers upright and improve the run game. Dline will help both the LBer and Dbs. Lbers will help the secondary and Dline.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:20:44 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Biggest need?.....FIRE TED THOMPSON!!!!!!
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:01:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

no rookie will take the place of Aaron Rodgers . If he goes down the season is lost no matter what.

The greatest need is depth.

We have starters at every position but help is nice luxury to have every where. Some will even push for a starting position.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 3/5/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:02:39 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

I understand the gist of what you are saying but if you think the the backup QB is the most important need on the roster right now I would highly recommend that Ted Thompson ignore the most important need. What I mean is there are some things that you can't do much about. Shoring up the BU QB position this season is going to be very difficult. Who are you going to get in FA? Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, Drew Stanton, David Garrard, Brady Quinn? They are the best of the bunch and I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for any of them and feel any more confident than I would with Harrell or Coleman for a few games. Draft a rookie? Anytime after the third round if the right guy is there then get him but that won't solve the BU QB position this season. There are a lot of teams in the same boat right now. Heck after looking at the QB depth charts on all the teams I can't think of maybe more than half a dozen I would rather have and they are either not available or wouldn't come cheap.

Depth is important but I dare say depth at the QB position may be less important than you think. For an elite QB like Rodgers you won't have anyone that could replace him and give you more than half of what he gives you and I dare say pretty much anybody could give you half. I'd rather have a team built so that if your backup QB has to come in he doesn't have to win games for you. Hopefully the rest of your team is solid enough to absorb a few weeks without the #1 guy and if you have to go longer than that you are probably screwed anyway.

As far as injuries, like I said pretty much every team would suffer if their starter went out. The only ones who might not are the Patriots (if Mallet has developed enough) the Texans (Yates looked pretty good and they are a running team anyway) The Titans (Hasselbeck may be better than Locker anyway) The Redskins (If Cousins' brief performance is any indicator of what he can do) and the Seahawks (if they keep Flynn around) Of course with the Patriots, Texans and Seahawks you have great teams to help the backup as well.

There are a few teams that may not suffer if they lose their starters not because their backups are so good but because their starters suck or at least are not much better than the backups. Those teams are going to be at the bottom anyway and a lot of them will be drafting QBs this year..

All in all while you do have to plan for injuries I don't think you make the backup QB position a priority if there are other more pressing needs. Which brings me to your question, I don't think the BU QB position is the most important need. I think D Line, another pass rushing LB or a safety are bigger concerns.

That's not to say I think Ted Thompson should ignore it, just that I don't think there is anyone available to make it a priority.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
wpr on 3/5/2013(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:09:56 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 100

I asked my question as to what is the biggest need on the roster. Not who to sign or draft. I still think the biggest hole in the roster is the backup to Arod. Packers proved they can live without Matthews, Raji, Woodson, Perry, etal last year. Still made the playoffs. Still swept the Bears. Still a good year. Think Harrell is getting us there?

Remember the game last year when Aaron Rodgers got dinged? Harrell came in. Ball was on the 0.5 yard line. Simple play. Just hand it off to the RB, right? Nope. Fumbled snap. It's not fair to use that as sole proof we have a weakness at QB, but what if we lost that game? Aaron Rodgers is out for one play and it goes bad. I have no faith in either backup.

Guess that's why I go to church Sunday mornings. Pray for AR's health!
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:35:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,303
Applause Received: 577

I asked my question as to what is the biggest need on the roster. Not who to sign or draft. I still think the biggest hole in the roster is the backup to Arod. Packers proved they can live without Matthews, Raji, Woodson, Perry, etal last year. Still made the playoffs. Still swept the Bears. Still a good year. Think Harrell is getting us there?

Remember the game last year when Aaron Rodgers got dinged? Harrell came in. Ball was on the 0.5 yard line. Simple play. Just hand it off to the RB, right? Nope. Fumbled snap. It's not fair to use that as sole proof we have a weakness at QB, but what if we lost that game? Aaron Rodgers is out for one play and it goes bad. I have no faith in either backup.

Remember when Bishop first came in? He overpursued and Apete got past him.

Once he was able to play enough to get in the swing of things, he was fine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline shield4life  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:26:45 AM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

We're missing that #1 safety that will support the run & be good against the pass. Either then that we need some real good talent on the defensive line to put pressure on opposing offense and allowing Matthews to cause more havoc. All tho with the return of Bishop & Perry, I think that our LB are good enough to produce but if we can add that "Cullen Jenkins" type of player that's could sack and stuff the run, that would just put us a top. CB on defense I'm not to worried, because we've got a pretty talented group and if you give too much time to the opposing QB it won't make a difference how good your CB's are.

On offense we need to get a HB that wants to win, that can play the game, strong & aggressive in other words we need Steven Jackson. Either then that, just need some lineman on the o-line to help protect our leader.

Finally of course we need some better depth on QB, not to convinced with Harrell.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
play2win on 3/6/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:31:46 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,997

If your only Super Bowl rests on one player, you are not a Super Bowl team.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
nerdmann on 3/6/2013(UTC)
Offline Glorydays  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:13:46 AM(UTC)
Glorydays

United States

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 4

QCHusker, losing a starting QB would be devastating to almost every team in the league. Thats a given. Im guessing you feel like me that Harrell couldnt win a high school game. Wish we had Flynn back. I was as comfortable with him as a backup as I was in the sixties with Zeke backing up Bart. That said, I think our greatest needs are at safety, running back, and linebacker. We never adequitley replaced Collins, Ahman Green, or Bishop. Put those three guys on this team and we are superbowl champs again. If we lose Jennings and Finley we will be thin there too.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:24:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,997

Originally Posted by: Glorydays Go to Quoted Post
QCHusker, losing a starting QB would be devastating to almost every team in the league. Thats a given. Im guessing you feel like me that Harrell couldnt win a high school game. Wish we had Flynn back. I was as comfortable with him as a backup as I was in the sixties with Zeke backing up Bart. That said, I think our greatest needs are at safety, running back, and linebacker. We never adequitley replaced Collins, Ahman Green, or Bishop. Put those three guys on this team and we are superbowl champs again. If we lose Jennings and Finley we will be thin there too.

How can you think he couldn't win a High School game when he had double digit win total in College?

I believe losing Jermichael Finley and Greg Jennings would hurt, but not as much as some may think. I think Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams can fill in admirably for Finley and also Randall Cobb, James Jones and Jordy Nelson can eat up the catches Jennings will not get. I also think that Jarrett Boykin fella is gonna contribute a couple dozen receptions too.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:39:58 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

and a rookie qb will solve all those ails and more? Rolling Eyes adding another young qb will not cure any depth issues for this year. anymore than Aaron Rodgers would have in his first yr if Brett went down. It takes time to develop a qb to play in the NFL. The only qbs that will help if rodgers goes down this year are the two currently on the roster. If you propose to acquire a FA qb the good ones cost too much money. the rest as has been pointed out already are not as good as what we have. If you want to trade for another team's backup you just made GB weak in several other positions with no one of quality to replace the ones that get injured.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Glorydays on 3/6/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed