Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 1:34:01 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/30/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 95
Applause Received: 160

In spite of the fact that I 'own' the Packers, I have never been a part of Ted's annual performance review. So I thought I would list some support why he is the best GM in football.
* Packers are relevant. He can't suck that bad or we wouldn't have that extra SB trophy. We are among the favorites to win another one next year. We own the NFC North. That's pretty good.
* Packers are not in CAP hell. There are no major mistakes impacting our CAP. He makes tough decisions like Woodson release with an eye on the future.
*Packers are a young team. While we didn't qualify as the youngest team in 2012, we're still near the bottom. Football demands youth and Ted Thompson has done an excellent job of staying young.
*Fans complain because he is failing to make the one move that will win us the next Lombardi Trophy. 10 years ago, it would have taken 10 new players to win a trophy. Now it's just one. That's progress.
***Finally, and most importantly, he can't keep members of his staff. This is probably the most important measure of what professional football minds think about TT's performance. He is losing a key man of his staff every year as they move into GM positions of their own. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Seattle, KC, Oakland are flattering TT.


I know, I know, he should sign more high priced vets. After all, that strategy has worked well for Chicago, right? Their OL is good. Great depth in their defense. Leadership evident throughout their team. Oh wait. They suck? Really? But they have all those high priced FA's?
Offline JustinAVA182  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 2:03:50 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 2/25/2013(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

Quote:
has worked well for Chicago, right? Their OL is good. Great depth in their defense. Leadership evident throughout their team. Oh wait. They suck? Really? But they have all those high priced FA's?
Possibly adding Jake Long to that list of free agents.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 2:15:48 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

This seems like kind of a knee jerk reaction to what was mentioned about Thompson in the LB thread.

Thompson is a great GM, but he has his flaws like all the rest. Thompson seems a shrewd talent evaluator for players entering the NFL out of college. He seems to have missed a bit with his FA signings of veteran players, of which he does very little. He made incredible signings early in his career with GB with Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson. Since that time, the FA signings of any real significance to this team have been few and far between.

Say what you want, but we have players on this roster who are eating up cap room that could and should be spent on DL, LB and S in FA.

You make it sound like the only FAs available are the very highest paid. Not true. There are plenty of mid level players out there that would not break the bank, and would improve this Packers team. Will he sign any? We shall see. We've gone two full seasons without pass rush opposite Matthews. You can say Perry all you want, and I really liked the pick myself, but I thought he required more than just a draft pick to insure this was shored up. He should have added a vet. Would have taken some pressure off the kid, and given Capers more tools to work with.

I see Hawk and Finley eating huge portions of our cap, and we are simply not getting the return we should for those massive contracts. I respect Ted Thompson quite a lot, but he does have his work cut out for him. I hope he sees we need veterans added to this giant mix of youth that we have on our team. If a couple of those are high priced, what should it matter if we take care of the Finley and Hawk contracts?

Wouldn't you rather have Dashon Goldson and Osi Umenyiora on this team than those two? I would. Sign me up for some of that! Immediately.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 3:25:39 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
This seems like kind of a knee jerk reaction to what was mentioned about Thompson in the LB thread.

Thompson is a great GM, but he has his flaws like all the rest. Thompson seems a shrewd talent evaluator for players entering the NFL out of college. He seems to have missed a bit with his FA signings of veteran players, of which he does very little. He made incredible signings early in his career with GB with Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson. Since that time, the FA signings of any real significance to this team have been few and far between.

Say what you want, but we have players on this roster who are eating up cap room that could and should be spent on DL, LB and S in FA.

You make it sound like the only FAs available are the very highest paid. Not true. There are plenty of mid level players out there that would not break the bank, and would improve this Packers team. Will he sign any? We shall see. We've gone two full seasons without pass rush opposite Matthews. You can say Perry all you want, and I really liked the pick myself, but I thought he required more than just a draft pick to insure this was shored up. He should have added a vet. Would have taken some pressure off the kid, and given Capers more tools to work with.

I see Hawk and Finley eating huge portions of our cap, and we are simply not getting the return we should for those massive contracts. I respect Ted Thompson quite a lot, but he does have his work cut out for him. I hope he sees we need veterans added to this giant mix of youth that we have on our team. If a couple of those are high priced, what should it matter if we take care of the Finley and Hawk contracts?

Wouldn't you rather have Dashon Goldson and Osi Umenyiora on this team than those two? I would. Sign me up for some of that! Immediately.


My problem with Ted is that he lets Mike and Aaron get away with stat whoring.

He DOES sign free agents. It's just that he generally signs HIS OWN. Other than that, he picks up dudes like SAM SHIELDS, DUJUAN HARRIS, Eric Walden. Guys who come on AT A LOW COST and get it done.

Every undrafted free agent coming out of the draft knows two things: 1: They have a shot of not only making Green Bay's roster, but contributing. 2: Green Bay is a contender.

So yeah. I like Ted's way of doing things.

Here's another issue. Ted is an excellent scout and evaluator. We've got young guys on their first contracts who are playing well above what they are making. And when they get to the point where they're gonna demand a huge payday, guess what. There's gonna be an underpaid, overperforming youngster behind them.

The exception to this rule is Clay Matthews, who will get paid. I assume Aaron also will get paid, despite his detrimental self centeredness on the field.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:23:12 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
My problem with Ted is that he lets Mike and Aaron get away with stat whoring.


Huh? I still do not understand this accusation at all.

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 5:23:36 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,148
Applause Received: 1,518

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Huh? I still do not understand this accusation at all.



oh he has been going off on the so called desire for Mike and Aaron to erase all of Favre's stats ever since December. Nothing new. Nothing to see here. Move along.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:17:31 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Ted Thompson was quite shrewd in nabbing Pickett and Woodson when he did, March and April of 2006. Both were exceptional talents. At the time of the Pickett signing, he led the NFL in Tackles for DL. I believe Kampman was #3.

Hopefully Ted will do that again. The timing is perfect as we are looking to pile onto our collection of Lombardi Trophies with more, while we have Rodgers and Matthews in their primes. I would ditch the stuff that isn't working and replace it with players that will get us to the top again.

Goldson could be a key piece for us, and I think we should pull out all of the stops to make it happen. Then draft D heavy again. Fix the line. Fix the backers.
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:53:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,148
Applause Received: 1,518

While Uncle Teddy did go after Woodson keep in mind Woodson didn't go after GB. He came out of default. If any other team had shown the slightest amount of interest (monetarily) that GB did, he would not have come.
Which is why some of the other talented FAs have not gone to GB.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:21:44 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
While Uncle Teddy did go after Woodson keep in mind Woodson didn't go after GB. He came out of default. If any other team had shown the slightest amount of interest (monetarily) that GB did, he would not have come.
Which is why some of the other talented FAs have not gone to GB.


Hey wpr, all the more reason to go after the the player you really want with all the ammo you have. I agree, GB is not the most coveted place for players to play, as great as the experience usually seems to be for most players once they get there. It is not the easiest sell. And, our flame out jobs have done us no favors the past two seasons...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the year Ted Thompson makes some major FA moves.

Message modified by user Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:17:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:45:21 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,148
Applause Received: 1,518

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Hey wpr, all the more reason to go after the the player you really want with all the ammo you have. I agree, GB is not the most coveted place for players to play, as great as the experience usually seems to be for most players once they get there. It is not the easiest sell. And, our flame out jobs have done us no favors the past two seasons...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the year Ted Thompson makes some major FA moves.


If he does I will be pleased. I have said he needs to pick up a quality FA or two to augment the draft and develop theme he has.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / The_Green_Ninja

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann