Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:36:17 PM(UTC)
ProFootballTalk said:
Former Raiders safety Michael Huff grew up near Dallas, and was a star at the University of Texas. But he's not going to wait around all day for the Cowboys to balance their checkbook for a chance to return home. The Cowboys have around $100,000 in cap room, preventing them from doing deals right now.
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:06:23 PM(UTC)
I like Ted's conservative approach alot, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at this dude.
dhazer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:41:48 PM(UTC)
I won't even waste my time because Ted Thompson don't sign any free agents, I think we missed out on a cheap Ed Reed.
PackerTraxx  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:43:31 PM(UTC)
I was hoping we might be able to pick up Reed for the right money. His experience and leadership would have been great for our young DBs. Oh well...
MintBaconDrivel  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:47:50 PM(UTC)
PackersNews said:
The Packers are bringing in safety Michael Huff for a free-agent visit, according to a report by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
porky88  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:00:39 PM(UTC)
The defense isn’t far off. Granted, the onus is on younger players to develop, but I can envision a scenario where Green Bay has a top-level defense in 2013.

For example, sign Michael Huff and I’ll use Jesse Williams as our first-round example.

Your base defense then consists of Williams, B.J. Raji, and Ryan Pickett on the d-line. You put Nick Perry, A.J. Hawk, Des Bishop, and Clay Matthews at linebacker. The defensive backfield looks good with Huff, Morgan Burnett, Sam Shields, and Tramon Williams.

You also have the necessary tools to run a successful 2-4-5. You can sub in Mike Neal, Casey Heyward, and Brad Jones. Then sub out Williams, Pickett, and Hawk. That’s not a bad looking defense on paper.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:07:27 PM(UTC)
porky88 said: Go to Quoted Post
The defense isn’t far off. Granted, the onus is on younger players to develop, but I can envision a scenario where Green Bay has a top-level defense in 2013.

For example, sign Michael Huff and I’ll use Jesse Williams as our first-round example.

Your base defense then consists of Williams, B.J. Raji, and Ryan Pickett on the d-line. You put Nick Perry, A.J. Hawk, Des Bishop, and Clay Matthews at linebacker. The defensive backfield looks good with Huff, Morgan Burnett, Sam Shields, and Tramon Williams.

You also have the necessary tools to run a successful 2-4-5. You can sub in Mike Neal, Casey Heyward, and Brad Jones. Then sub out Williams, Pickett, and Hawk. That’s not a bad looking defense on paper.

I like it but I won't hold my breath.
*sigh* Sad
play2win  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:21:27 AM(UTC)
Michael Huff's stats are comparable to or better than Morgan Burnett's. they appear to be about the same, with Huff maybe being a little better in coverage (13 PDs in 2012).

Huff could be one of those players who takes his career to a new level in Green Bay. Capers would love to pair this player with Burnett. 4 sacks in 2010. Seems like a quality vet who might be a 2nd level FA signing. I would like to see it happen. A veteran presence back there could be huge.
PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:01:02 AM(UTC)
It looks like Huff would be a nice addition. Not only would it give an established player presence at safety, it would allow a draft choice at another position of need. I hope Ted Thompson feels he's worth it, I trust TT.
Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:05:32 AM(UTC)
Coming out of college he had some nice measurables

Height: 6'
Weight: 204 lbs

40 Yrd Dash: 4.34
20 Yrd Dash: 2.57
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21

Vertical Jump: 40 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
PackerTraxx  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:31:42 AM(UTC)
Zero, where are those measurables from? That's a really fast 40 for a safety and the vertical is very impressive.
yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:52:50 AM(UTC)
Any ideas why he has lasted this long without somebody scooping him up.
Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:04:19 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx said: Go to Quoted Post
Zero, where are those measurables from? That's a really fast 40 for a safety and the vertical is very impressive.

I didn't keep the link, it was just some draft scout site. If you google his name and append 'draft profile' you'll find the measurables from several sources.
wpr  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:16:04 AM(UTC)

this link has them all the way back to 1999.
Gaycandybacon  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:19:01 AM(UTC)
Well he was probably the best player on the Raiders Defense imo. The guy can play corner and safety like Woodson did. And he's younger. Ted Thompson brought in one raider before, we could do it again. ;)
Rockmolder  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:58:42 AM(UTC)

There's a reason he went 7th overall that year. His measurables, combined with his game tape were pretty impressive.

Why he hasn't been picked up yet?

I figure that's because he's been decent for most of his career, combined with him being forced to play corner this year, which obviously isn't his natural position.

That said, I'd love him as an adition to our team and it does look like a Thompson-like signing. A bit of an overlooked FA, later on in FA, most likely for a reasonable price.

I like Porky's post, as well. That'd be one heck of a D-line, well over 1000 lbs, with some speed and ballhawking on the back-end. If Perry turns out the way we hope he will, that's one heck of a defense on paper, with some depth at nearly every position. Very impressive.
Rockmolder  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:32:22 AM(UTC)
@Ravens: #Ravens have a 3-year agreement in principle with safety Michael Huff.
dhazer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:38:54 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
@Ravens: #Ravens have a 3-year agreement in principle with safety Michael Huff.

Does this surprise you at all? Ted Thompson will not bring in someone to help the team he believes and has to much ego to go against his draft picks.
play2win  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:49:34 AM(UTC)
I am not surprised. 3 year $6M deal. That was cheap!!! But, we can't afford that with our recent Finley bonus and Brad Jones signings.

OK who else can we talk about not signing with the Packers? Who will be next to schedule a visit and not show...? hmmmmm....
Yerko  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:55:29 AM(UTC)
From what I am reading, talks of Huff visiting the Packers is being referred to as "agent bullshit" so before we all start going crazy because the Packers passed up another decent free agent, we should see if Huff ever really visited the team. My guess is its doubtful.

I agree it would have been nice to have a player of this caliber sitting in the defensive backfield...

29 days until the NFL Draft my friends.
Rss Feed