Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:51:35 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

The long term costs some pay to play the game.. it is hard not to feel for them, but in the same respect they knew the risks and rewards that came along with it. Workers from other occupations with a much lower wage and opportunity scale deal with the long term lingering health effects from the employment choices.

He and the cardiac pack years refreshed the fan base that endured a couple brutal decades in which the bright spots were few and far between.. helped author one of the best moments personally of the Packers history.. if nothing else but to see the scowl. One of the best calls on Packers radio I can remember.. albeit on the this clip.


Quote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The last two years of Don Majkowski's life have been what every current and former NFL player fears. The once-great quarterback who seemed poised to turn around the Green Bay Packers in the early 1990s is now experiencing nearly every possible downfall the game of football can present to those who played it.

Only 49 years old, Majkowski has been in significant pain and agony. The player who used to attack defenses with reckless abandon struggles simply to leave his house these days.

"I haven't worked, I haven't coached, I haven't done anything," Majkowski told FOXSportsWisconsin.com. "It's very difficult to even sit for five minutes. It's been a nightmare."

The list of Majkowski's physical problems is lengthy and includes everything from degenerative disk disease in his neck and back to post-concussion syndrome. But his issues started with his left ankle. He's had 11 surgeries on it, including back-to-back fusions after the first attempt didn't work.

"It's just locked in place now," Majkowski said. "I can't move my foot at all."

Majkowski's ankle problems began on a memorable day in Packers history. On Sept. 20, 1992, he tore a ligament in his ankle, opening the door for 22-year-old backup Brett Favre to make his Lambeau Field debut. Favre led the Packers to a comeback win that day and started his next 297 NFL games. Majkowski – a rare combination of talent and swagger dubbed the Majik Man while finishing second in NFL MVP voting to Joe Montana in 1989 -- never took another snap in Green Bay and signed on as a backup with the Indianapolis Colts the next season.

Three years later in 1996, by then with the Detroit Lions, Majkowski damaged his ankle further. He underwent surgery by Dr. James Andrews in June of that year and was told it would be a three-month recovery process. Sitting out for three months would have meant not playing in the preseason, which could have cost the then 32-year-old a backup job with the Lions.

"My ankle was 60 percent, and they needed me to start a preseason game in Detroit," Majkowski said. "They asked if I could be dependable. I went out there and played and it numbed up. I tore it up, and it's affected me the rest of my life. That's what messed it up real bad.

More...
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:34:03 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

That's the game that began my fanhood to fanatical.
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:48:56 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Notice how the coaches aren't screaming at the refs. Ditka takes it like a man.
Do you like bacon?
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Notice how the coaches aren't screaming at the refs. Ditka takes it like a man.


True, but he added an asterisk in the gameday programs. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:57:24 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
That's the game that began my fanhood to fanatical.



This is the one that did it for me.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:00:40 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

Ditka,I believe also turned against replay and considered the replay official in the booth incompetent. lol.

But the basic principle Rabid I concur with.. he didn't go off with the whining we see rampant today by player and coach..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:38:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

I am sorry Don has had a lot of health issues but I really can't feel too bad for him.

First he would do it all again.

Second he will let his son.

Third there are hundreds of players who went before him that have had serious injuries. Like Pack93 says he knew the risk before he signed on.

Fourth he didn't let his body heal and that compounded the injury.

Fifth retired NFL players are not the only ones who get shafted on Work Comp. My father in law was driving a CTA bus one night when the police were involved in a high speed chase when the car slammed into the back of the bus. (Over 80 mph in Chicago!) There was no question whatsoever that my f-i-l was due compensation. Not only for his medical bills but his pain and suffering and the permanent disability it caused. Believe it or not there is a fund that the city has to compensation people when the police dept does something wrong. Like not breaking off pursuit when it got that excessive. Dad got nothing other than his bills paid and they really tried to get out of paying them too. I think he got a couple of thousand for disability but that is a fraction of what he should have got. Basically the city stalled and antagonized him until he gave up. It doesn't make it any more right for the NFL to stick it to the old players but they are not alone in this situation and they got paid a whole lot more than Dad ever did so at least they had a little more to fall back on when forced to retire.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:01:51 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am sorry Don has had a lot of health issues but I really can't feel too bad for him.

First he would do it all again.

Second he will let his son.

Third there are hundreds of players who went before him that have had serious injuries. Like Pack93 says he knew the risk before he signed on.

Fourth he didn't let his body heal and that compounded the injury.

Fifth retired NFL players are not the only ones who get shafted on Work Comp. My father in law was driving a CTA bus one night when the police were involved in a high speed chase when the car slammed into the back of the bus. (Over 80 mph in Chicago!) There was no question whatsoever that my f-i-l was due compensation. Not only for his medical bills but his pain and suffering and the permanent disability it caused. Believe it or not there is a fund that the city has to compensation people when the police dept does something wrong. Like not breaking off pursuit when it got that excessive. Dad got nothing other than his bills paid and they really tried to get out of paying them too. I think he got a couple of thousand for disability but that is a fraction of what he should have got. Basically the city stalled and antagonized him until he gave up. It doesn't make it any more right for the NFL to stick it to the old players but they are not alone in this situation and they got paid a whole lot more than Dad ever did so at least they had a little more to fall back on when forced to retire.


I had a mentor in Toronto who experienced something similar. He was in an accident. For 9 years he tried to find lawyers to take up his case, but the Insurance company for the other side would go behind the scenes and make them and offer they couldn't refuse. He finally just gave up and took a modest settlement.

What I advocate is taking the responsibility into your own hands. Do what you need to do to ensure your wellness, and this means NOT relying on doctors to fix you. All the prognoses in their Mosby's physician manuals are based on... THE AVERAGE AMERICAN.

There is much than can be done, let's take the case of Majik Man here. I'm not saying he could be completely healed. I haven't even done an intake on him. But there is MUCH that can be done for these people. Most of it is considered "alternative and complementary" medicine, but there is much that can be done.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:07:03 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I had a mentor in Toronto who experienced something similar. He was in an accident. For 9 years he tried to find lawyers to take up his case, but the Insurance company for the other side would go behind the scenes and make them and offer they couldn't refuse. He finally just gave up and took a modest settlement.

What I advocate is taking the responsibility into your own hands.
Do what you need to do to ensure your wellness, and this means NOT relying on doctors to fix you. All the prognoses in their Mosby's physician manuals are based on... THE AVERAGE AMERICAN.

There is much than can be done, let's take the case of Majik Man here. I'm not saying he could be completely healed. I haven't even done an intake on him. But there is MUCH that can be done for these people. Most of it is considered "alternative and complementary" medicine, but there is much that can be done.


It happened to my f-i-l. The attorney's (he had at least two and I think three) missed filing deadlines and all kinds of weird stuff.


Dad has no worries these days. That said, I sure do miss him. Crying


UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/28/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

8h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

15h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann