Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JustinAVA182  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 11:10:35 PM(UTC)

http://www.jsonline.com/...d&utm_medium=twitter
Quote:
It's not the big splash some might have been hoping for, but the Green Bay Packers are about to add a free agent.

Loyce Means, a former University of Houston cornerback, will fly to Green Bay on Monday and sign a contract provided he passes a physical, an NFL source said Friday.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Means was out of football in 2012, but at a recent workout, he caught the Packers' eye by running under 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. That was apparently enough for the club to give him a shot at a roster spot.

Means was not drafted coming out of Houston in 2011 and signed a free-agent contract with the Buffalo Bills. He made it through training camp but was released and caught on with the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League.

Means became a starter within a week and played in the last four games of the season for the Tiger Cats.

Hamilton chose not to bring him back in the spring, and Means has been working out in the Houston area.

Means played in 38 games at Houston and had eight interceptions and 13 passes broken up. He scored two defensive touchdowns.

In the Eastham Energy All-Star Game in Tempe, Ariz., after his senior year, he scored three touchdowns, one off an interception, one off a blocked field goal and one off a fumble. Means was just 177 pounds at his pro day workout, which is part of the reason he wasn't rated highly by pro scouts.

As a "street" free agent, Means won't cost the Packers anything if he doesn't make the team. The Packers discovered cornerback Tramon Williams in a similar way after Houston cut him and he was without a team.

buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:30:12 AM(UTC)
Packers | Loyce Means to sign
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:52:51 -0700

The Green Bay Packers will sign street free-agent CB Loyce Means (CFL) to a contract Monday, April 1, provided he passes a physical.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2P0fo1ItY
Laser Gunns  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:17:23 AM(UTC)
Championship!
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:26:22 AM(UTC)
Woodson has been replaced! hahaha. Seriously, I like what I read about this guy - a fast coverage corner. You can never have too many good CBs.
Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:50:36 AM(UTC)
At 5'10" at least according to draft records.. and his quick change of direction ability.. I wonder if he is not a gamble on another return option? Returned a number of his picks for touchdowns..
play2win  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:16:13 AM(UTC)
I love this signing. Ted, workin' it!

This kid looks like he fits the "football player" quality they look for in their roster additions. Having those true instincts for the game and how it is played is paramount, and it looks like Means has that. As texas said, you can't have too many good CBs. Sounds great. I hope he makes the team.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:10:25 PM(UTC)
Didn't we get Tramon Williams in a similar fashion? Whatever they pay Joe Whitt, it isn't enough. The Packers have very well coached young secondary. Hopefully the Packers can find some pass rusher to help them out.
wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:40:25 PM(UTC)
I don't mind them signing him but with Williams, Shields, Hayward and House. When will he play? Perhaps they won't sign Shields?
DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:54:27 PM(UTC)
Camp / special teams body.
wpr  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:38:48 PM(UTC)
doddpower said: Go to Quoted Post
Camp / special teams body.

exactly. in other words no one special. no one to get excited about at this time.
nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:28:58 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
exactly. in other words no one special. no one to get excited about at this time.

Depth. This team has the injury bug.
wpr  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:09:14 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Depth. This team has the injury bug.

and that is fine. I didn't say that Ted should sign the young man. I just don't see any need to be excited over a guy who still has a long way to go in order to prove himself and to simply make the team as a # 5 CB.

I am not any more pleased with him than I am with Kevin Hughes or Micah Johnson.
MintBaconDrivel  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:51:48 AM(UTC)
JSOnline said:
It's not the big splash some might have been hoping for, but the Green Bay Packers are about to add a free agent.
PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:15:23 PM(UTC)
Always need to keep an eye out for Bush's replacement as our Gunner on Punts.
Mucky Tundra  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 12:23:47 AM(UTC)
Has speed and knack for paydirt... maybe a kickoff returner? \:d/
Rss Feed