Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online nerdmann  
#51 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 4:23:02 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I don't care what the criteria is. I love Bart Starr. I thought he was WAY under-rated at the time. The man seemed genius to me.

Bart Starr could not possibly be in the same conversation with Aaron Rodgers. I was just as passionate about these matters then as I am now.

Eye test and memory. Bart was better than anyone gives him credit for being now, but that isn't good enough in this comparison...


Aaron Rodgers is S I C K good. No one I have ever seen does the things that man does with a football with the circumstances he is presented with.

No One. Ever. Not in my lifetime. I keep telling you, we are living off the gravy he provides us, and so many are too young to know, and the ones that are old enough can't let go of their loyalties and distorted memories.

I AM SOMETIMES EMBARRASSED at how my team has failed to capititalize on this extraordinary talent we have. It is why I RANT, at times...

I AM CURSED WITH PERSPECTIVE! What a BITCH! lol

Favre isn't in the conversation, for me. The man was un-wise with the football too many times when it mattered a lot, and his skill-set was also below Rodgers in actually throwing the damn thing, by quite a bit, actually.


Bart Starr, based on intangibles.

When it comes to tangibles, Aaron is in the conversation.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#52 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 4:56:21 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Let's put a twist to this dilemma - if you had a choice between Starr, Favre, and Rodgers to begin a franchise with in any era of football you choose - which quarterback would you take. I'll take Rodgers and not even think twice about it.


If you had 1/10 the insight on stuff other than football ...... I guess you'd be agreeing with me hahahaha.

I will NEVER say anything negative about Bart Starr - or for that matter Brett Favre when it comes to football either. However, NOBODY in my lifetime anyway - which goes back before the Starr era - has ever dominated the game as much as Aaron Rodgers. Brady a little bit, P. Manning came the closest, but nobody like Rodgers.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Online Zero2Cool  
#53 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 6:50:46 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
If you had 1/10 the insight on stuff other than football ...... I guess you'd be agreeing with me hahahaha.

I will NEVER say anything negative about Bart Starr - or for that matter Brett Favre when it comes to football either. However, NOBODY in my lifetime anyway - which goes back before the Starr era - has ever dominated the game as much as Aaron Rodgers. Brady a little bit, P. Manning came the closest, but nobody like Rodgers.



Aaron Rodgers being better than Bart Starr at quarterback is most certainly not saying anything bad about Bart Starr. Not a chance.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:35:59 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Bart Starr was more comparable to the kid who came along decades later to lead his team to multiple Super Bowls. Aaron Rodgers' hero growing up: Joe Montana.

Both were supreme game managers and team leaders. Rodgers, as good as he is, has some proving left to do on those levels.

It always ultimately comes down to Championships, plural.

Trent Dilfer could get one. Was he as good or better than Rodgers? Of course not. Roethlesberger? No, but he has more SB wins. Bradshaw? No. But he has more Championships too. So does Eli Manning.

As much as you might hate the SBs entering into the discussion, it always winds up being the ultimate measuring stick for QB supremacy, and it really points to the larger aspects of "team" in terms of success, and who can best manage their team to realizing multiple Championships.

Not many mentions of Warren Moon or Dan Marino in this discussion.

Is Rodgers a better QB than Starr, or just a better passer?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/2/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:52:31 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

The comparison if you want to bring Montana into it, would be Montana to Steve Young - Montana being fairly similar to Starr and Young something like Rodgers. Montana was greater but Young was better - does that make sense? Anyway, it is not as somebody said above, youth being blinded by the fact that Rodgers is more recent. I was blessed to be a Packer fan when Starr was the QB. He was great; The team was super, but never find the different styles, different eras, different quality around them, Starr simply did not stand out individually like Rodgers does. Nobody in all the years I have been a fan has been as clearly better than anybody else in his time as Rodgers. He ain't the greatest yet - that would still be Favre, but he is on track to get there.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline wpr  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:12:36 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,146
Applause Received: 1,515

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
The comparison if you want to bring Montana into it, would be Montana to Steve Young - Montana being fairly similar to Starr and Young something like Rodgers. Montana was greater but Young was better - does that make sense? Anyway, it is not as somebody said above, youth being blinded by the fact that Rodgers is more recent. I was blessed to be a Packer fan when Starr was the QB. He was great; The team was super, but never find the different styles, different eras, different quality around them, Starr simply did not stand out individually like Rodgers does. Nobody in all the years I have been a fan has been as clearly better than anybody else in his time as Rodgers. He ain't the greatest yet - that would still be Favre, but he is on track to get there.


I was the one who made reference to youth. I was taunting Kevin. That was because he was taunting those who were defending Starr.

I take objection to a bias comparison that only favors one player.
The NFL rules are different in the 60's. Kevin never once agreed to the concept that Rodgers has flourished in the much more lenient passing rules of this day. He never accepted the fact that Starr's passing statistics are tainted because of how the defense was allowed to play in his day.
He, for the most part, ignored the fact that a QB is more than an arm. While he says Starr is an excellent leader, he then comes right back to Rodgers credentials and one who throws the ball as being the defining measure of what a QB is.
When one points out that Starr has the ultimate measure of success- championships. He dismisses that as being due to the players around Starr. He never once considers the fact that if Rodgers wins 5 SB that he will not be the only player from this team that ends up in the Hall.

He wants every indicator to point toward Rodgers. If they don't, then those indicators are not relevant.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 4/2/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:14:37 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Aaron Rodgers being better than Bart Starr at quarterback is most certainly not saying anything bad about Bart Starr. Not a chance.


I've got something bad to say about Starr. Long time ago, I was a kid in the stands at County Stadium for a game coached by Dan Devine. Bart Starr was just down the aisle. I walked over to Bart with my program, and asked him for his autograph. He had an usher take me away.

I'll never forget it, that fuckin' guy... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Online Zero2Cool  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:24:22 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I was the one who made reference to youth. I was taunting Kevin. That was because he was taunting those who were defending Starr.

I take objection to a bias comparison that only favors one player.
The NFL rules are different in the 60's. Kevin never once agreed to the concept that Rodgers has flourished in the much more lenient passing rules of this day. He never accepted the fact that Starr's passing statistics are tainted because of how the defense was allowed to play in his day.
He, for the most part, ignored the fact that a QB is more than an arm. While he says Starr is an excellent leader, he then comes right back to Rodgers credentials and one who throws the ball as being the defining measure of what a QB is.
When one points out that Starr has the ultimate measure of success- championships. He dismisses that as being due to the players around Starr. He never once considers the fact that if Rodgers wins 5 SB that he will not be the only player from this team that ends up in the Hall.

He wants every indicator to point toward Rodgers. If they don't, then those indicators are not relevant.


Read my comments again young man. Read them again, for the first time. It Wasn't Me
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:35:42 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,146
Applause Received: 1,515

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Read my comments again young man. Read them again, for the first time. It Wasn't Me


I read them yesterday.
Show me where you allow for the differences in passing rules?
Show me where you agree that Aaron Rodgers has more favorable passing yards and Starr less favorable ones.
Show me where you say the value of a qb is more than his passing prowess.

UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Online Zero2Cool  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:40:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I read them yesterday.
Show me where you allow for the differences in passing rules?
Show me where you agree that Aaron Rodgers has more favorable passing yards and Starr less favorable ones.
Show me where you say the value of a qb is more than his passing prowess.



Show me where I said Aaron Rodgers was a better leader than Bart Starr. You can't, but yet you beat that drum anyway. Shame on you

I respect that you probably encapsulate passer, leader, field general, etc all into quarterback.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
7 Pages«<4567>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Since69