Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:19:15 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

ProFootballTalk wrote:
Free agent defensive back Charles Woodson says NFL teams think he's too old, and that's why he remains unemployed six weeks after the Packers cut him. "I'm 36, so of course I'm considered ancient in the game right now, and teams are looking for younger players and trying to make their rosters younger,' Woodson said
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:25:04 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

I would not rule out, if things don't fall right for the Packers in the draft and free agency, that they may keep Woodson's number in the Rolodex for depth sometime this fall.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:25:05 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,521

While it is a bit of a surprise that no one is taking a flyer on him it shouldn't be a complete surprise. Last time he was a FA only GB and Tampa made him an offer.

Injuries happen every day. Woody is a guy who can slid into the lineup in week 1 as well as week 10. He will get a call.

Message modified by user Friday, April 5, 2013 11:03:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 9:55:13 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

This could very well play into Woodson's favor. With his age, I would expect any offer to be, well we can't risk a high contract on you, but are willing to give you a shot at a smaller number. Where after the draft, if teams have not been able to fill the hole, Woody would have a little more bargaining power.

His performance was no where near as bad as fans thought. But the broken bone, and the extra time it took to be cleared isn't the best thing to have on a resume. I expect him to find a job much like Benson did with us last year.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 12:54:39 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

For me it isn't the collarbone injuries, it's the very noticeable drop off in speed and the holding penalties. I think he is now a situational player to come in and cover a tight end and blitzing - but a full time starter - his lack of speed will be exposed.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 11:45:24 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Depending what happens in our draft I could see Woody back in GB.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 4/6/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:06:19 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Depending what happens in our draft I could see Woody back in GB.

Me too actually, PackerTraxx. I think Charles realizes the business nature of his release, and I still think he can contribute in a big way. I'd love to see him win another SB with the Packers!
Online Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:10:36 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,225

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Me too actually, PackerTraxx. I think Charles realizes the business nature of his release, and I still think he can contribute in a big way. I'd love to see him win another SB with the Packers!

Charles Woodson realized the business side immediately upon being released. There was no delay. He just figured he'd land with someone by now, or perhaps hoped is more accurate.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:08:27 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post

I think Woodson is done in Green Bay for good, unless there are multiple secondary injuries early. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back, but I think when Ted Thompson makes a release like this, it's for good. As it likely should be, pending extenuating circumstances.

I don't see Charles Woodson back in Green Bay. The organization has moved on.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:51:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,709
Applause Received: 664

The Queens could use some secondary help.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:40:23 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I think Woodson is done in Green Bay for good, unless there are multiple secondary injuries early. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back, but I think when Ted Thompson makes a release like this, it's for good. As it likely should be, pending extenuating circumstances.

I don't see Charles Woodson back in Green Bay. The organization has moved on.

"Thank You." - Ryan Grant Dancing

Seriously, you are most likely correct. I believe Woody overvalued himself, as many players do. However, if the Packers can't pick up a good prospect in the draft and what we have isn't panning out as good as they would like, or there's injuries there may be a need for the Packers. Woody might have gained a more accurate value on his worth and a reasonable number might be worked out. I agree the intent of both parties is to move on, but footballs bounce in funny ways sometimes.

Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Online Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:35:24 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I don't know for sure, but I think Charles Woodson said he wasn't approached about a reduced contract with the Packers. Initially, I thought the Packers didn't out of respect for him. Maybe after seeing no one is signing him, out of respect and more importantly, out of need they offer him a modest contract?

That poses the question ... are the Packers better with Charles Woodson?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:37:11 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
"Thank You." - Ryan Grant Dancing

Seriously, you are most likely correct. I believe Woody overvalued himself, as many players do. However, if the Packers can't pick up a good prospect in the draft and what we have isn't panning out as good as they would like, or there's injuries there may be a need for the Packers. Woody might have gained a more accurate value on his worth and a reasonable number might be worked out. I agree the intent of both parties is to move on, but footballs bounce in funny ways sometimes.

Or if he doesn't feel like risking another major injury, I'm sure we could find a coach's assistant or coaching job for him.
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:03:25 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Charles Woodson wrote:
I am a football player. I am not a corner, I am not a safety; I am just a guy that can play football. You can put me in anywhere on that field, in any situation, and I am going to get it done. I call myself ‘Seasoning Salt:’ You can put me in anything and I will make it better. I am just waiting on an opportunity.

from Jason Wilde: "Asked in an iMessage if he would consider returning to the Packers if he continues to not have outside interest, Woodson joked about quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ impending contract, Woodson replied, ‘Yeah, if A-Rod puts me on his payroll!”"

lol

UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:41:25 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Honestly I didn't see much of a difference in safety play between when Woodson was in there and when McMillian/Jennings was in last season.
Offline nyrpack  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:36:32 AM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 62

im sure at a reduced rate the pack would be more then happy to take back sir charles !!
jimmy b.
Offline gbguy20  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:58:13 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Honestly I didn't see much of a difference in safety play between when Woodson was in there and when McMillian/Jennings was in last season.

both were terrible.
call me Dan
Offline steveishere  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:06:04 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
both were terrible.

So was Woodson so I guess my point stands.
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:03:00 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

Obtuse for sure... it would be curious and I wonder what Woodson is asking for in terms of salary.

Source...

Quote:
Packers general manager Ted Thompson is known for playing things close to the vest in the buildup to the NFL Draft -- and really in regard to pretty much every subject -- so his 20-minute meeting with reporters Thursday in Green Bay produced the expected amount of obtuse answers and little if any news.

What about giving thought to bringing back future Hall of Famer Charles Woodson, released by the Packers at season's end, if the team can't upgrade its safety situation in the draft?

"Oh, I wouldn't care to speculate about that."
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:31:22 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,521

Uncle Teddy doesn't talk- yet again. I am shocked beyond belief.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Wade  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:46:22 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 683
Applause Received: 717

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Uncle Teddy doesn't talk- yet again. I am shocked beyond belief.

(never knew wpr's last name was Rains.)

Signed,
usual suspect

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rss Feed