Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:56:53 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JerseyAl wrote:
An interesting discussion about the Packers draft and develop philosophy broke out in the comments section of this post the other day. The basic question that came out of the discussion was this: What does draft and develop mean to you? Draft and develop might mean different things to different people. The various meanings appear [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline PackerTraxx  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:25:59 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

It means you better have good coaches. Eh? Angel
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 4/23/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:33:26 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,238
Applause Received: 1,557

It means it is an excuse to not sign quality FAs to round out the team and fill in holes that normally occur in the roster.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:42:49 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,011

It means you trust that you drafted quality players who will still become good football players even if they don't make a huge impact in the first year or two.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 4/23/2013(UTC)
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:10:03 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 129

To me it keeps the philosophy that if you work hard and stay loyal the team will reward you. I do think that this philosophy works for the most part in that it makes for greater morale from the players that the team is not always looking for FAs to take your job.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:09:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,796
Applause Received: 677

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
To me it keeps the philosophy that if you work hard and stay loyal the team will reward you. I do think that this philosophy works for the most part in that it makes for greater morale from the players that the team is not always looking for FAs to take your job.

This and it also means you have a viable team for the long term, because you don't subject yourself to cap hell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:17:44 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

A way to build and maintain a core of players. Hopefully successfully which keeps a team in contention year after year. Combine it with smart and well timed FA and some luck and we can win another SB.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:37:35 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I don't like how strict this philosophy is. It means there is more pressure put on young, inexperienced players to fill important gaps in our roster, and the "need" factor then becomes more in play on draft day. At least, it seems that way.

Will we pass on a top WR to fill a DL need this draft in R1? Maybe. Maybe not. Nab that WR and your DL need is still unaddressed going into the 2nd day of the draft. Now, you maybe reach on a day two player to fill a hole, hoping he will not only start, but be a difference maker, where you really need one.

There is risk with this philosophy that could make us miss out on top talent, both in FA and in the draft.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 4/24/2013(UTC), Wade on 4/25/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:23:21 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It means it is an excuse to not sign quality FAs to round out the team and fill in holes that normally occur in the roster.

Hopefully this is not true. In a couple of cases, I'm sorry to say, I believe it has been. I like building on the draft as a basic philosiphy, but all avenues need to be used to build/better the team.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:45:11 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,238
Applause Received: 1,557

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully this is not true. In a couple of cases, I'm sorry to say, I believe it has been. I like building on the draft as a basic philosiphy, but all avenues need to be used to build/better the team.

I was being just a bit of a smart @ss. But there are times when it seems like the team fails to use every method available to them because they are a "draft and develop" team.

It is really impossible to have every spot on the roster filled with depth backing up all the starters. Sometimes it is better to have the drafted players backing up and one day taking the place of a UFA that they signed.

Then again I have wondered if GB is content with winning the division and being in the playoffs on a consistent basis or spending more money and being a serious contender for a SB.

I could live with a team that was in the SB every 5 years and then had to tear the team down and rebuilt making it back 5 years later over a team that went 11-5 or 10-6 every single year, year after year, only to lose in the playoffs in either round 1 or 2.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 4/24/2013(UTC), Wade on 4/25/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:54:13 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,796
Applause Received: 677

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I don't like how strict this philosophy is. It means there is more pressure put on young, inexperienced players to fill important gaps in our roster, and the "need" factor then becomes more in play on draft day. At least, it seems that way.

Will we pass on a top WR to fill a DL need this draft in R1? Maybe. Maybe not. Nab that WR and your DL need is still unaddressed going into the 2nd day of the draft. Now, you maybe reach on a day two player to fill a hole, hoping he will not only start, but be a difference maker, where you really need one.

There is risk with this philosophy that could make us miss out on top talent, both in FA and in the draft.

For every Albert Haynesworth that Ted passes over, he signs a DuJuan Harris, Dez Moses, Sam Shields. Even an Erik Walden or a Harold Green. Part of the system is that you have great talent evaluators, who are capable of assessing value.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Wade  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:01:44 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 695

I was being just a bit of a smart @ss. But there are times when it seems like the team fails to use every method available to them because they are a "draft and develop" team.

It is really impossible to have every spot on the roster filled with depth backing up all the starters. Sometimes it is better to have the drafted players backing up and one day taking the place of a UFA that they signed.

Then again I have wondered if GB is content with winning the division and being in the playoffs on a consistent basis or spending more money and being a serious contender for a SB.

I could live with a team that was in the SB every 5 years and then had to tear the team down and rebuilt making it back 5 years later over a team that went 11-5 or 10-6 every single year, year after year, only to lose in the playoffs in either round 1 or 2.

I agree. I *hate* it when the team loses playoff games.

Especially at home. Remember when the Packers simply did not lose in the playoffs at home?

Actually, I wonder if there is some correlation between this overly (IMO) skewed reliance on draft-and-develop-the-potential approach and the Packers less than stellar "home field advantage" in the Thompson/McCarthy era.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online Wade  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:03:48 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 695

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
For every Albert Haynesworth that Ted passes over, he signs a DuJuan Harris, Dez Moses, Sam Shields. Even an Erik Walden or a Harold Green. Part of the system is that you have great talent evaluators, who are capable of assessing value.

Except, in my opinion, with respect to the OL.

Take away the out-of-the-park-HR that was Josh Sitton, and this personnel department can only seem to find "potential" and "serviceable" on the OL.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:32:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,990
Applause Received: 2,285

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Except, in my opinion, with respect to the OL.

Take away the out-of-the-park-HR that was Josh Sitton, and this personnel department can only seem to find "potential" and "serviceable" on the OL.

I will continue to put blame on the OL coach instead of Ted Thompson. Packers have drafted a lot of OL over the years ... a lot.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:29 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,011

Except that isn't how it works and no you wouldn't be content with that anyways. Look at all of the people who are discontent now because we haven't won the Superbowl in just 2 years. The teams that have the best chance at winning the Superbowl are the ones that are more consistent with their roster and stay competitive year after year. It does take a lot of luck to get through a playoff run and win the Superbowl and trying to bet it all on 1 season every few years is the dumbest way to go about it.
Rss Feed