Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:02:50 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 88

PackersNews wrote:
Bruce Clark, the infamous Penn State defensive end who spurned Green Bay in 1980 and instead signed with the Canadian Football League, wasn't the first or the only first-round draft pick to reject the Packers and jump to a rival league.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:30:43 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Canada
Joined: 9/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

I'll look at recent draft history.

Worst pick to me is Mandarich. This is not just because of hindsight either. The guy point blank told Green Bay not to pick him. He thought he was a rock star and wanted to play with the Raiders. Looking at all the gems around him, it just pisses me off that they picked a guy who wanted nothing to do with our organization and then was a bust. Fail X 2 in my opinion.


Best is Aaron Rodgers. I'll admit to being a rather pissed at the time as it made no sense to burn a first round pick on a back-up, but now we may have almost 30 years (knock on wood a deal gets done and Aaron stays healthy) with a MVP/HOF calibre quarterback. Brilliant move.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline sschind  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:45:44 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
I'll look at recent draft history.

Worst pick to me is Mandarich. This is not just because of hindsight either. The guy point blank told Green Bay not to pick him. He thought he was a rock star and wanted to play with the Raiders. Looking at all the gems around him, it just pisses me off that they picked a guy who wanted nothing to do with our organization and then was a bust. Fail X 2 in my opinion.


Best is Aaron Rodgers. I'll admit to being a rather pissed at the time as it made no sense to burn a first round pick on a back-up, but now we may have almost 30 years (knock on wood a deal gets done and Aaron stays healthy) with a MVP/HOF calibre quarterback. Brilliant move.



At least he played for them after they picked him. Bruce Clark said he wouldn't and he didn't. That make him my worst pick.

Best pick I'd have to say Bart Starr. It took him a while to click but there are still people who argue that he was the greatest packers QB ever.

Smartest pick, Aaron Rodgers but then some people call it a no brainer pick. I guess that is why I don't consider it the best pick, because it was a no brainer. Still it was not an area of pressing need so for Ted Thompson to take the chance and stash him away was a very smart move.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:27:56 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
I'll look at recent draft history.

Worst pick to me is Mandarich. This is not just because of hindsight either. The guy point blank told Green Bay not to pick him. He thought he was a rock star and wanted to play with the Raiders. Looking at all the gems around him, it just pisses me off that they picked a guy who wanted nothing to do with our organization and then was a bust. Fail X 2 in my opinion.


Best is Aaron Rodgers. I'll admit to being a rather pissed at the time as it made no sense to burn a first round pick on a back-up, but now we may have almost 30 years (knock on wood a deal gets done and Aaron stays healthy) with a MVP/HOF calibre quarterback. Brilliant move.


I will go with these two picks as well.

Mandy over Clark because he was a higher selection and they could have had Kevin's heartthrob, D Thomas or D Sanders instead. All three or in the Hall.

While there were good players after Clark the only first round pick that is the Hall is Art Monk.

As for Rodgers over Starr. I went with Aaron this time. It was dumb luck that he fell that far. I was thrilled to use a first round pick for a backup. Knowing Brett had been thinking about retiring and he would probably do so 2-3 years later there would be the perfect developmental stage for Aaron to hold the clipboard.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:34:58 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I will go with these two picks as well.

Mandy over Clark because he was a higher selection and they could have had Kevin's heartthrob, D Thomas or D Sanders instead. All three or in the Hall.

While there were good players after Clark the only first round pick that is the Hall is Art Monk.

As for Rodgers over Starr. I went with Aaron this time. It was dumb luck that he fell that far. I was thrilled to use a first round pick for a backup. Knowing Brett had been thinking about retiring and he would probably do so 2-3 years later there would be the perfect developmental stage for Aaron to hold the clipboard.


Makes sense, maybe I'll make Mandarich my unluckiest pick for all the guys they could have had instead of him. I guess that would make Rodgers the luckiest pick.

I guess my list has 5 categories now. Best, Worst, Smartest, Luckiest and Unluckiest. Smile
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/23/2013(UTC)
Offline flep  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:44:10 PM(UTC)
flep

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United Kingdom
Joined: 8/14/2008(UTC)
Location: UK

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

Since I've taken notice of the draft

Worst: Either Mandarich or Ahmed Carroll (What were we thinking?????

Best: Rodgers and Hawk (I don't get the hate for AJ by some on here)
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage


I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:04:55 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
At least he played for them after they picked him. Bruce Clark said he wouldn't and he didn't. That make him my worst pick.

Best pick I'd have to say Bart Starr. It took him a while to click but there are still people who argue that he was the greatest packers QB ever.

Smartest pick, Aaron Rodgers but then some people call it a no brainer pick. I guess that is why I don't consider it the best pick, because it was a no brainer. Still it was not an area of pressing need so for Ted Thompson to take the chance and stash him away was a very smart move.


Packers were able to get a 1st round pick for clark when he decided to come back.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:38:13 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

Tony Mandarich has got to be the all time #1 blunder, I'll throw in The trade for John Hadle which pretty much handcuffed Bart Starr as a HC, there was no FA back then, Bart did what he could to get some talent,any talent with the picks he had left.

I'm gonna go Old School with best pick and say John Brockington, when paired with MacArthur Lane , it was a tabndem to be reckoned with and got The Packers back into the playoffs in 1972 even with a rookie QB, Scott Hunter, who could not throw very well.(then the long draught began).
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:39:32 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I can clearly remember reading an article stating that every team in the league would have picked Aikman #1 and Madarich #2, except one. The Vikings had Mandarich #1 and Aikman #2. So I don't look at that as a Packer mistake, just a busted pick. Sure wish the Queens would have had the #1 pick that year.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:27:33 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Canada
Joined: 9/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
I can clearly remember reading an article stating that every team in the league would have picked Aikman #1 and Madarich #2, except one. The Vikings had Mandarich #1 and Aikman #2. So I don't look at that as a Packer mistake, just a busted pick. Sure wish the Queens would have had the #1 pick that year.


That may be the case, but I still don't see the point in drafting a guy who doesn't want to play for your organization. I consider it a mistake that they didn't trade the pick.

"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline sschind  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:22:24 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Packers were able to get a 1st round pick for clark when he decided to come back.


Thank you for the lesson. This was rather early in my Packers fan Career and I did not know of that development, I also didn't pay much attention to the draft at that time. Was it because they still held his rights? Who did they draft with that pick do you know?

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

8h / Random Babble / nyrpack

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

9h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

9h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

9h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

9h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

21h / Random Babble / dfosterf

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gaycandybacon

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.