Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:22:43 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Video from JSO.

According to Bob McGinn, Pickett, Raji and Jolly all showed up last week "badly out of shape."

He also said Packers badly need size, as they lacked physicality last year. Another tidbit was that the Packers will not take anyone with medical risks.

Message modified by moderator Friday, April 26, 2013 5:04:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Dulak  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 3:25:19 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 103

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Video from JSO.

According to Bob McGinn, Pickett, Raji and Jolly all showed up last week "badly out of shape."

He also said Packers badly need size, as they lacked physicality last year. Another tidbit was that the Packers will not take anyone with medical risks.

am I reading that right that all of them were badly out of shape?

hmmm that's not good.
Offline rabidgopher04  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 3:32:30 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

I don't understand how these guys get "badly out of shape" in just a few months off from football (with the exception of Jolly). Or are the margins between being in shape and out of shape extremely narrow in the NFL?
Do you like bacon?
Offline FLORIDA PACKER88  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 3:54:17 AM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88

Applause Given: 34
Applause Received: 6

Most of our "big guys" usually show up out of shape. Pickett has been showing up overwheight for years, I believe this is a repeat offense for Raji too. Honestly in the scheme of things I don't think its a huge deal, they usually shed some pounds and are ready to go by opening day so NBD. With Jolly on the other hand I think he had everything to lose with not being in shape, hope he gets his act together and at least gets a shot in camp.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:05:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,223

If it were just Johnny Jolly badly out of shape, I'd be concerned. With all three of them badly out of shape, two of which played a full season last year ... it makes me feel better in the thought that they can get in shape in the next few months.

It gives hope to me for Jolly, ... just not so much for the other two lol

btw, your link is to a video about the draft.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:23:13 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,149
Applause Received: 1,518

So surprise. Fat boys do that. They know the coaching staff is going to make them sweat so they lounge around when no one is there screaming at them.
As for Jolly, a month ago he didn't even have a job. Why be in "Football shape" if you are not going to play NFL football? Just to impress the babes? He will work it off and get to where he needs to be or he won't make the team. I don't see him being on the final roster anyway so it doesn't really matter what kind of shape he is in.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:11:34 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

It's april XD

If this was training camp it would be a different story. This ain't not Albert Haynesworth we're talking about here..
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:16:53 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If it were just Johnny Jolly badly out of shape, I'd be concerned. With all three of them badly out of shape, two of which played a full season last year ... it makes me feel better in the thought that they can get in shape in the next few months.

It gives hope to me for Jolly, ... just not so much for the other two lol

Exactly. I never cared much for the opinions of McGinn. If Jolly is basically the same degree of off-season out of condition as the other two, then no problem - with that aspect anyway.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Porforis  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:59:43 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

I don't care if they can get in shape by the time the season starts. Many players if not the vast majority stay in game shape or close to it all year round. This is your career that you're making millions on, take it seriously.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 11:17:48 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I don't care if they can get in shape by the time the season starts. Many players if not the vast majority stay in game shape or close to it all year round. This is your career that you're making millions on, take it seriously.

I don't dispute that they should all stay in shape. But fatties tend to relax for a couple of months. It just doesn't take very long to got from "football shape" to a tub o goo.

My son ran cross country when he was in HS. He ran 10 miles a day all year long even when it was the off season. (Unless they did sprints then he ran 6 or 7 miles.)

As graduation approached he told me he was going to take a few weeks off just to take a mental break and let the body heal up. I told him if he stopped it wouldn't take 2 weeks for him to lose all his tone. He came back to me a month later and said i was right. He was shocked at how quickly he lost his edge.
UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:21:16 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Well Trgovac just said Pickett is the lightest he's been in 5 years and Raji is about the same weight.
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:26:53 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Well Trgovac just said Pickett is the lightest he's been in 5 years and Raji is about the same weight.

Lightest he's been "at this time of year" is the quote I heard. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:30:49 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Lightest he's been "at this time of year" is the quote I heard. LOL

either way that doesn't seem like badly out of shape to me
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:59:31 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Well, I will just pretend Johnny Jolly is the giant, fatty NT I was hoping for out of this 2013 draft.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:02:27 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 635
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Well, I will just pretend Johnny Jolly is the giant, fatty NT I was hoping for out of this 2013 draft.

Me too.
I hope he is really nasty as well.Crying

Offline play2win  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:13:10 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Me too.

Giant, nasty, space eating NT who can somehow jump up and bat passes out of the air. Fucking awesome!!!!Laughing
Offline yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:39:35 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 635
Applause Received: 295

Giant, nasty, space eating NT who can somehow jump up and bat passes out of the air. Fucking awesome!!!!Laughing

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!!

Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:59:45 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Me too.

hungry. a nasty, fatty, hungry space eating giant who can jump and block passes.
UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:05:08 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Great pick!!!
Offline dfosterf  
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:14:12 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 428

I'm having a tough time caring about what Johnny Jolly does or doesn't do anymore. Roughly 12,500 college players just had a shot at the NFL. A couple of hundred of them actually got drafted, and towards the ass-end of that draft we collectively lose quite a bit of interest.

I cannot respect those that simply toss away the kind of opportunity they were given, as it is in fact profound, when you look at the odds.

I liked him as a player... A LOT.

Not so much as a purple drank sucking fool.

He can KMA. Go play for Oakland or the Texans, closer to his magic trough of cough syrup or whatever.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
gotarace on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:37:29 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I'm having a tough time caring about what Johnny Jolly does or doesn't do anymore. Roughly 12,500 college players just had a shot at the NFL. A couple of hundred of them actually got drafted, and towards the ass-end of that draft we collectively lose quite a bit of interest.

I cannot respect those that simply toss away the kind of opportunity they were given, as it is in fact profound, when you look at the odds.

I liked him as a player... A LOT.

Not so much as a purple drank sucking fool.

He can KMA. Go play for Oakland or the Texans, closer to his magic trough of cough syrup or whatever.

Addiction is an interesting problem. Had he brought such a thing on of his own accord I might let this go, but his mother was a hopeless addict. I fully support Johnny Jolly and his recovery, and hope he succeeds.
Offline wpr  
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:49:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Addiction is an interesting problem. Had he brought such a thing on of his own accord I might let this go, but his mother was a hopeless addict. I fully support Johnny Jolly and his recovery, and hope he succeeds.

I am willing to give him one chance to get it straightened out. But I am a soft touch unlike gunny. Big Grin
UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:41:11 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

To quote somebody - I can't remember who, before there was J.J. Swat, there was THIS J.J. Swat. I wish him luck in his recovery for one reason - the good of the team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:38:20 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,223

Mike McCarthy wrote:
(I’ve) had opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with Johnny. He’s been in and out of town. His process is not complete yet so he’s not here full time. (But) Johnny’s off to a good start.

Jason Wilde wrote:
Meanwhile, Trgovac refuted a published report that defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and B.J. Raji came into the offseason program woefully out of shape.

“I think Pickett, in the five years since I’ve been here, I think this is the lightest he’s come in,” Trgovac said. “(And) B.J. came in right about where he left off.”

http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 4/30/2013(UTC), Pack93z on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:00:49 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

I think badly out of shape has to be taken in context of whom the author is.. I, in no way, shape, or form expect Jolly to be in football shape coming in. Glad to hear Trgov refute the other stories.. it provides more insight in a beat writer looking for a story angle.

The skinny of it is this.. Jolly has probably one last shot at the NFL.. if he isn't hungry coming in, he probably will not occupy a roster spot in GB for long. I think we are exposed to no risk in this deal.. personally, I think if he can still play, we are going to get everything the guy has.

And if Jolly is even remotely close to the last time we seen him on the field.. he will provide a huge boost. Not expecting that.. but it would not surprise me either.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/30/2013(UTC), play2win on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed