Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline steveishere  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:35:58 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 880

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
They're never gonna get better at running the ball until they decide to stick with it even when it's not working. This team only runs the ball in the 1st quarter and when it's milking the clock in the 4th. When the game is on the line Mike McCarthy morphs into Andy Reid 2.0 and the offense becomes one-dimensional and predictable. It requires patience and the will to stick with it over four quarters, not just when it's convenient.

Not really, they suck at running it period. They aren't going to suddenly start running the ball well mid season by bashing their heads against the wall too much early on. You aren't going to start converting more 3rd and 1 or goal line situations by running the ball for -2 a bunch of times. The point of offense isn't to force a balance no matter the circumstances it's to score as many points as you can the best way that you can. They tried to run the ball last year even though it got them absolutely nothing. Anything more than that is simply going to be a detriment. Effectiveness is WAY more important than balance. If this team had a 75/25 pass run ratio with effective running on the 25% it would still be better than a 50/50 ratio with shitty running.

Sure you can come up with game by game situations where more running at certain times may have helped but there are also probably plenty of situations where passing the ball on 1st down would have been a lot better than running for -4 or where a couple more passes at the end of the game could have gotten you a 1st down to run out the clock instead of 3 and out running but that's all speculation anyways.
Offline dfosterf  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:17:38 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 175
Applause Received: 392

Get more physical. I have been crying at that moon in the wilderness for several years. I'll believe it when I see it.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline DoddPower  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:42:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,866
Applause Received: 432

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
This would require a QB who is willing to throw slant passes, screens and checkdowns consistently.

The Packers should have just traded for Alex Smith, then. Problem solved.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 10:18:50 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Big plays and quick scores are fun to watch but I'll take long scoring drives everytime with the exception of a clock issue.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 4/22/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 12:23:47 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Not really, they suck at running it period. They aren't going to suddenly start running the ball well mid season by bashing their heads against the wall too much early on. You aren't going to start converting more 3rd and 1 or goal line situations by running the ball for -2 a bunch of times. The point of offense isn't to force a balance no matter the circumstances it's to score as many points as you can the best way that you can. They tried to run the ball last year even though it got them absolutely nothing. Anything more than that is simply going to be a detriment. Effectiveness is WAY more important than balance. If this team had a 75/25 pass run ratio with effective running on the 25% it would still be better than a 50/50 ratio with shitty running.

Sure you can come up with game by game situations where more running at certain times may have helped but there are also probably plenty of situations where passing the ball on 1st down would have been a lot better than running for -4 or where a couple more passes at the end of the game could have gotten you a 1st down to run out the clock instead of 3 and out running but that's all speculation anyways.

I do not believe any of this, at all. Our opinions of how to best be successful on offense differ greatly.

Green Bay rushed more last year than they had since 2009. And, they still need to rush more than that. They can do it. McCarthy saw how important it was to an effective offense. At least, I hope like hell he did. What you described above got us killed at home against SF and away at SEA to start our season, amongst other horrific losses, each of which followed McCarthy's pass happy failure by ignoring the run: IND, NYG come to mind. Not to mention, Rodgers took a pounding. He was sacked more than any QB in 2012, 51 times. The point is, they need to run more, way more.

We need to be a more powerful, determined team altogether, and that includes offensively. pound that rock with the run, and our OL will be more effective, as will our passing game, which we all know to be pretty damn good. You know when it is not pretty damn good? When we fail to run the football. This is really simple stuff.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2013 2:04:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

yooperfan on 4/22/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 2:52:47 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 880

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I do not believe any of this, at all. Our opinions of how to best be successful on offense differ greatly.

Green Bay rushed more last year than they had since 2009. And, they still need to rush more than that. They can do it. McCarthy saw how important it was to an effective offense. At least, I hope like hell he did. What you described above got us killed at home against SF and away at SEA to start our season, amongst other horrific losses, each of which followed McCarthy's pass happy failure by ignoring the run: IND, NYG come to mind. Not to mention, Rodgers took a pounding. He was sacked more than any QB in 2012, 51 times. The point is, they need to run more, way more.

We need to be a more powerful, determined team altogether, and that includes offensively. pound that rock with the run, and our OL will be more effective, as will our passing game, which we all know to be pretty damn good. You know when it is not pretty damn good? When we fail to run the football. This is really simple stuff.

I'm not sure you got my point. The point is they need to run the ball BETTER. If the running game stays at it's current level of effectiveness just running the ball more isn't going to make them suddenly able to beat up on people they couldn't beat up on before. More plays where the RB gets destroyed in the backfield or runs outside and loses a couple extra yards isn't what is needed. More plays where the RB hits the hole decisively, falls forward and actually gets 4 yards or a critical first down is what is needed. It's fine if in your opinion more shitty runs will improve the offense but more shitty runs are still more shitty runs and it won't improve by very much and that isn't enough.

If we actually had a reliable and consistent running game McCarthy I'm sure would use it (he has before) and then everybody would say "see running helps" but it's obvious he doesn't trust it enough to lean on in important situations and I don't blame him.
evad04 on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 4:51:24 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Thanks Steve. Gotcha.

I agree, their attempts, while up, have been very ineffective. Not to mention, Rodgers alone accounted for 55 rushing attempts last year.

I can't help but feel McCarthy has been resistant to utilizing the run - making matters worse. I'm hoping that changes! Better personnel, and a more dedicated mindset is what we need in order to improve.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:47:17 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

I think this is what the Packers are doing with this draft.
UserPostedImage
play2win on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#24 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:49:35 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Holy crap. You said it bro!
Rss Feed