Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:48:04 AM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah. It's not me. It's that I don't have to buy wpr lunch...[grin1]

Actually, I recognize that we get the canned version of talent evaluation. I'm willing to defer to Ted's experience and his NFL scouting department. They spend an awful lot of money and time evaluating every player on their board. Those are huge resources at work for our team. Not a series of maybe 8-10 draft sites...

Are there players I wanted? Of course! I listed them all. They clearly felt differently. I'm sure Ted and his staff could give two shits about draftscout.com, FF Toolbox and Walter's. So why hold so tight to those?

Do I think they reached on Tretter? Yes. Do I know that? No.

Last I saw, we had a full complement of OL. Its not like we didn't have a player at a starting level position. We are adding for the future, and maybe one of these kids shows this year.

Did you think Aaron Rodgers was bullshitting when he gave EDS his full endorsement at C?

no worries on lunch maybe we will get together some time and I will buy.

Certainly Ted knows a how lot more than I. Just looking at it from a superficially a 2nd and 3rd round pick has a better chance of starting or being in a rotation. A 6th and 7th round pick is just happy to make the team.

Tretter is a reach. But Ted does that every year.
wpr  
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:49:27 AM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
You can't win football if you don't have a 3rd round pick, you just cant, it's science. Season is over.

That is just as true as saying the team will win the SB with two 6's and three 7's.
PackFanWithTwins  
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:52:13 AM(UTC)
Yeah. It's not me. It's that I don't have to buy wpr lunch...[grin1]

Actually, I recognize that we get the canned version of talent evaluation. I'm willing to defer to Ted's experience and his NFL scouting department. They spend an awful lot of money and time evaluating every player on their board. Those are huge resources at work for our team. Not a series of maybe 8-10 draft sites...

Are there players I wanted? Of course! I listed them all. They clearly felt differently. I'm sure Ted and his staff could give two shits about draftscout.com, FF Toolbox and Walter's. So why hold so tight to those?

Do I think they reached on Tretter? Yes. Do I know that? No.

Last I saw, we had a full complement of OL. Its not like we didn't have a player at a starting level position. We are adding for the future, and maybe one of these kids shows this year.

Did you think Aaron Rodgers was bullshitting when he gave EDS his full endorsement at C?

Of all Ted's drafts in GB, at the end of draft day, this is going to be the one I am least excited about. I think he missed on oppourunities. There were players better than what we ended up with in the 4th when he moved back in the 3rd. I think the guys he wanted to target today got snagged and he was unable ot find a trade partner when it came time.

I don't think these Olineman improved out line and there was a chance to do that this year. I like Jones, and Lacey could be good with a line in front of him.
sschind  
#24 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:54:28 AM(UTC)
A simple answer to your question of "why all the gnashing of teeth with Ted's trades" is because all these people know so much more than Ted Thompson does about being an NFL GM. That is why they are making the big bucks evaluating NFL talent and Ted Thompson is flipping burgers.
sschind  
#25 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:57:31 AM(UTC)
Ted Thompson traded away our 3rd for a bevy of picks that will allow him to maneuver at will through today's 4th round.

With KC owning the 2nd pick in the round, look for Ted to package a nice group of selections for his old friend John Dorsey to give us 3 picks in the round. KC is a rebuilding team, and I would be shocked, shocked, if Dorsey didn't make a deal with Thompson to help his team rebuild.

With that said, lets suppose Ted also uses more of those picks to move up with his two current R4s to add three very specific players. Here is where our GM can pretty much shop for exactly what he wants in the 4th round:

NT Jesse Williams
C Brian Schwenke
C Barrett Jones
S Phillip Thomas
DE Alex Okafor
LT David Quessenberry

Any 3 of these would make fantastic additions to our team.

Add, there are others available in R4/R5 that could also make big impacts on our roster:

RB Jonathan Franklin
OLB Trevardo Williams
DE William Gholston
OT Xavier Nixon
WR Da'Rick Rogers
DE Quinton Dial
DE Joe Kruger
DE Lavar Edwards
TE Joseph Fauria
OT Chris Faulk
DE Devin Taylor
OLB Ty Powell

There is a lot to like about many in this latter group. A lot! My guess is that Ted Thompson will make us all very happy with what he does here today. I would guess his 10 picks are the most of any team at this point to maneuver around R4 and R5 if he likes. We are going to get some very good players.

Also, who the hell was there to warrant any kind of complaints at #88? The only truly impactful players I see that were taken in R3 were Damontre Moore and Jonathan Jenkins. Both were long gone by our #88. The only player chosen after that point in R3 that I might have wanted was Brandon Williams, a NT from Missouri Southern. He's just a giant of a wide body from a Division II school. There are plenty of those still available.

Ted's trading our #88 away, then again our #93 was brilliant. He'll turn that into just what we were looking for, quality talent at our many positions of need. I truly believe this. Ted Thompson will be dealing heavily today, and he now has the ammo to do so. If he pulls this off, and turns our R3 and R4 selections into three or who knows, maybe four R4s, - and gets the players we NEED to become a better team - I'll be thrilled.

My guess is he lands 3 more top 100 rated players today, making the grand total 5. That is just the kind of impact I was hoping for with this draft. Immediate infusion of high quality talent at 5 positions, and maybe more!

Ted Thompson could get the top tackle, defensive lineman, linebacker, safety and running back and it still wouldn't make us ALL happy.

Gaycandybacon  
#26 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:10:21 PM(UTC)
So when everyone is clammering for a running game, we snatch 2 good looking prospects. 1 in which is probably the best RB in the draft. And now we're trashing Thompson for picking them. There are some greety motherfuckers aren't they xD

I honestly hate that you guys are saying "they won't be anything with no holes" That's complete and utter shit. You guys can be critical, idc but come on people.. These guys aren't just predicated on their college line giving them truck lanes on the field. They can catch, hold onto the football, PASS BLOCK!, and run in the open field. Yes even Lacy is deceptively nimble. He's compared to Micheal Turner in my mind, and that guy is pretty damn good. We now have real depth at running back, something we haven't had in years.

Our offensive line is not the best in the world, but I tell you what if we can stay healthy we can do some things with this running game. Bulaga was hurt last year and don't forget we had that Old man manding the Center position. EDS will get more playing time and will be a better player. Give them a chance boys. This draft isn't as bad as you think.
nerdmann  
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:12:58 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post
So when everyone is clammering for a running game, we snatch 2 good looking prospects. 1 in which is probably the best RB in the draft. And now we're trashing Thompson for picking them. There are some greety motherfuckers aren't they xD

I honestly hate that you guys are saying "they won't be anything with no holes" That's complete and utter shit. You guys can be critical, idc but come on people.. These guys aren't just predicated on their college line giving them truck lanes on the field. They can catch, hold onto the football, PASS BLOCK!, and run in the open field. Yes even Lacy is deceptively nimble. He's compared to Micheal Turner in my mind, and that guy is pretty damn good. We now have real depth at running back, something we haven't had in years.

Our offensive line is not the best in the world, but I tell you what if we can stay healthy we can do some things with this running game. Bulaga was hurt last year and don't forget we had that Old man manding the Center position. EDS will get more playing time and will be a better player. Give them a chance boys. This draft isn't as bad as you think.

Good RBs have a way of making mediocre OLs look much better than they are.
wpr  
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:14:12 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
A simple answer to your question of "why all the gnashing of teeth with Ted's trades" is because all these people know so much more than Ted Thompson does about being an NFL GM. That is why they are making the big bucks evaluating NFL talent and Ted Thompson is flipping burgers.

you don't have to be an @ss about it. I don't think anyone is saying they know more than the Packer's staff. But we are certainly aloud to express an opinion.
wpr  
#29 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:17:05 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
Of all Ted's drafts in GB, at the end of draft day, this is going to be the one I am least excited about. I think he missed on oppourunities. There were players better than what we ended up with in the 4th when he moved back in the 3rd. I think the guys he wanted to target today got snagged and he was unable ot find a trade partner when it came time.

I don't think these Olineman improved out line and there was a chance to do that this year. I like Jones, and Lacey could be good with a line in front of him.

I shows that just because you have picks available doesn't mean you will find a trade partner.
play2win  
#30 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:19:27 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post

I think our biggest takeaway from this is OUR RUNNING GAME! We can say it now! We have a fucking RUNNING GAME! This level of talent coming in cannot be ignored by Mike McCarthy, nor do I expect it will be. Mike now has some awesome new toys to add to his offensive arsenal, and I can't wait to see it in motion, and what this will mean for our passing game.
nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:22:32 PM(UTC)

I think it looks like he's a genius. Eddie Lacy!? AND Johnathan Franklin!? ARe you kidding me? LOL
PackFanWithTwins  
#32 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:40:00 PM(UTC)

Well hell, since Ted is God, why haven't the Packers won every SB since he came to GB? There are other teams that take players Ted passes on, are they all wrong?
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:41:35 PM(UTC)
Well hell, since Ted is God, why haven't the Packers won every SB since he came to GB? There are other teams that take players Ted passes on, are they all wrong?

Ted Thompson doesn't want to give it away that he is God so he lets puny mortals win from time to time.
nerdmann  
#34 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:46:20 PM(UTC)

Other teams are reaching for need. They also may not have scouts as good as ours.

That, and Mike and Aaron's stat whoring.
PackFanWithTwins  
#35 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:49:06 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Good RBs have a way of making mediocre OLs look much better than they are.

And the opposite is true also. Though Our problem IMO was more that our guys don't block the scheme well. That if the scheme changes, they would open holes better. If they actually run consistently, they will get better.
PackFanWithTwins  
#36 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:52:27 PM(UTC)
Other teams are reaching for need. They also may not have scouts as good as ours.

That, and Mike and Aaron's stat whoring.

Not 31 other teams.
nerdmann  
#37 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:58:34 PM(UTC)
And the opposite is true also. Though Our problem IMO was more that our guys don't block the scheme well. That if the scheme changes, they would open holes better. If they actually run consistently, they will get better.

This may be true, but Grant left ALOT of yards on the field with his lack of vision. And Green was always going for the home run. Cedric Benson seemed to always get what was there, but he wasn't a breakaway threat. I think Green was learning from him late in the year.

Starks was a good running but was hamstrung with injuries and Harris was only just getting started.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't put it ALL on the OL.

I also don't think Kuhn is the best FB. They like him for his versatility.
PackFanWithTwins  
#38 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:03:29 PM(UTC)
This may be true, but Grant left ALOT of yards on the field with his lack of vision. And Green was always going for the home run. Cedric Benson seemed to always get what was there, but he wasn't a breakaway threat. I think Green was learning from him late in the year.

Starks was a good running but was hamstrung with injuries and Harris was only just getting started.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't put it ALL on the OL.

I also don't think Kuhn is the best FB. They like him for his versatility.

Grant had good vision, he just ran with too much lean so any contact took him down. I just look back, and we had a better than average running game, until Mike McCarthy switched us to the outsize zone. Since then, we have struggled.
sschind  
#39 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:29:40 PM(UTC)

Not at all but I will guarantee you that for every player another team takes that you wanted Ted Thompson to take there will be fans bitching and moaning about the pick. Ted Thompson is not a God, never said he was, but I will bet dollars to donuts that he knows a hell of a lot more about the players in the draft than anyone on this site or any site like it. I'll bet he knows a hell of a lot more than pretty much anyone who has ever done a mock draft as well.

You certainly don't have to agree with the picks but everyone who disagrees act's like they have some sort of inside information that proves the guy they wanted will be an all pro while the guy Ted Thompson actually took will suck.

Not all of TT's picks will pan out that is for certain and in some cases the guy you wanted him to take may actually have been a better choice but so many of you act like he is throwing darts at a list of names. What makes you so certain that just because some flunkie at one of a 1000 mock draft sites thinks that the guy Ted Thompson took would have been there 3 rounds later that the team after the Packers wouldn't have taken him?

Everyone has guys on their list that they would like to see and some people actually have reasons behind it but your list and your reasons are no more reliable than TT's and I would dare say they are many many times less.

If Ted Thompson thinks a guy is worth the pick its because he sees something that he thinks the guy can offer. He is not just pulling names out of his ass simply to piss you off. Maybe you can't see it but in the end it really doesn't matter what you can see. It's Teds' list and Teds choice and he is taking the guy he thinks is the best choice at the time.
Zero2Cool  
#40 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:40:26 PM(UTC)
Ted Thompson is not a God, never said he was, but I will bet dollars to donuts that he knows a hell of a lot more about the players in the draft than anyone on this site or any site like it.

You don't know me to well, or my profession, huh? :)
Rss Feed