Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bozz_2006  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:01:37 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Vikings pass D wasn't anything special last season, and while they added a great pass rusher, we'll have to wait and see what his effect will be. Judging by preseason, Allen will get his sacks, but i don't think he'll have the ripple effect on the rest of the team as the Vikings were hoping for.




Here's the thing about Allen. If he had come here, we'd all be talking about how the move was Reggie White II. Super Bowl. Bam.

Of course, some would detract, and rightly so. My point is, he could send that team into "dominant" territory. He could, he could also just bump up their team sack totals. I'm leaning towards the former, myself. But, like everything, we'll have to just wait and see.


Hmm. All that to say "wait and see". My bad.


I thought he would have the Reggie White affect in Minneapolis; where his play has a ripple effect, enhancing the skills of everybody around him, one player elevating the level of play of the whole D. That's what i thought would happen. Yeah, I was scared. But, from what I've seen from his preseason appearances, and i live in minnesota, so i've seen them all, he hasn't had that affect. yes, he gets his sacks. no, his presence does not have a ripple effect.
Offline NodakPaul  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:08:42 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Vikings pass D wasn't anything special last season, and while they added a great pass rusher, we'll have to wait and see what his effect will be. Judging by preseason, Allen will get his sacks, but i don't think he'll have the ripple effect on the rest of the team as the Vikings were hoping for.




Here's the thing about Allen. If he had come here, we'd all be talking about how the move was Reggie White II. Super Bowl. Bam.

Of course, some would detract, and rightly so. My point is, he could send that team into "dominant" territory. He could, he could also just bump up their team sack totals. I'm leaning towards the former, myself. But, like everything, we'll have to just wait and see.


Hmm. All that to say "wait and see". My bad.


I thought he would have the Reggie White affect in Minneapolis; where his play has a ripple effect, enhancing the skills of everybody around him, one player elevating the level of play of the whole D. That's what i thought would happen. Yeah, I was scared. But, from what I've seen from his preseason appearances, and i live in minnesota, so i've seen them all, he hasn't had that affect. yes, he gets his sacks. no, his presence does not have a ripple effect.


You are basing a lot off from a grand total of 3 1/2 quarters that he has played in preseason... Plus, for the majority of that time, the Vikings defense was performing well. Did you catch the Steelers game (in for 2+ quarters)? You know, the one where the Vikings defense held the Pitt. starting offense to only a field goal (and that was after a turnover)?

I realize that as a Packer fan you have a hard time viewing the Vikings objectively. Especially as a packer fan living in Minnesota. But take the green glasses off for a second. Do you really not see the Vikings D as improved. Do you really think that Jared Allen is not going to have an effect on the game?

I honestly think that because you want to see Allen have little effect on the Vikings defense, you are only looking at the plays and data that supports your predetermined belief. It happens with every fan. On the Vikings site, there are a LOT of people who are keying in on the mistakes that Rodgers has made in the preseason and using it as justification to claim that he will be horrible this year. They are as wrong about Rodgers as you are about Allen.
Offline bozz_2006  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:29:56 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Vikings pass D wasn't anything special last season, and while they added a great pass rusher, we'll have to wait and see what his effect will be. Judging by preseason, Allen will get his sacks, but i don't think he'll have the ripple effect on the rest of the team as the Vikings were hoping for.




Here's the thing about Allen. If he had come here, we'd all be talking about how the move was Reggie White II. Super Bowl. Bam.

Of course, some would detract, and rightly so. My point is, he could send that team into "dominant" territory. He could, he could also just bump up their team sack totals. I'm leaning towards the former, myself. But, like everything, we'll have to just wait and see.


Hmm. All that to say "wait and see". My bad.


I thought he would have the Reggie White affect in Minneapolis; where his play has a ripple effect, enhancing the skills of everybody around him, one player elevating the level of play of the whole D. That's what i thought would happen. Yeah, I was scared. But, from what I've seen from his preseason appearances, and i live in minnesota, so i've seen them all, he hasn't had that affect. yes, he gets his sacks. no, his presence does not have a ripple effect.


You are basing a lot off from a grand total of 3 1/2 quarters that he has played in preseason...


very true. i'm probably assuming too much. we'll see. thanks for the thoughtful response.
Offline zombieslayer  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:54:07 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Do you really think that Jared Allen is not going to have an effect on the game?


I guarantee you that a good size chunk of Mike McCarthy 's game plan in week 1 for us will be minimizing the effect of Jared Allen. We absolutely cannot allow him to ruin our passing game. He will be double teamed all day long, and you might see us run some quick screens to limit his effectiveness.
Mike McCarthy does a fabulous job at knowing opponent's strengths and weaknesses and adjusting accordingly. That's one of my favorite things about him as a Coach.
Offline porky88  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:01:12 PM(UTC)
Rank: Veteran Member

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2015

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)
Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 505
Yeah Allen is going to have a big effect on the Vikes defense. The big question is how much?

I don't think he's going to be as good as some Viking fans think and what I mean by that is he'll get his sacks but the last time I check they still have holes in their secondary and they still have Tavaris Jackson at QB and those poor receivers.

With that said Allen is arguably the best defensive player in the entire division right now so of course he'll have a big impact.
Offline bozz_2006  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:11:04 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Do you really think that Jared Allen is not going to have an effect on the game?


I guarantee you that a good size chunk of Mike McCarthy 's game plan in week 1 for us will be minimizing the effect of Jared Allen. We absolutely cannot allow him to ruin our passing game. He will be double teamed all day long, and you might see us run some quick screens to limit his effectiveness.
Mike McCarthy does a fabulous job at knowing opponent's strengths and weaknesses and adjusting accordingly. That's one of my favorite things about him as a Coach.


Also, I was careful to not say that Allen wouldn't have an effect. i said he wouldn't have a reggie white effect. I said he'll get his sacks, but i don't think he will completely take over a game the way Reggie did. but, we'll see.
Offline zombieslayer  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:26:36 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
Well, this is why earlier in this post, I put that we have an advantage in the Coaching, something Nodak left off of his original post.

A big part of coaching is recognizing your own strengths and weaknesses, and recognizing your opponent's strengths and weaknesses and making the appropriate adjustments.

Childress isn't good at using the weapons he has. The Vikings on paper are an excellent team (except for the glaring weakness at QB) and Mike McCarthy will do his best to work around their strengths.

I bet you Mike McCarthy will lose sleep over Allen, but that lost sleep for us Packer fans is a good thing.

I'd be very worried if the Vikings had Allen and Coughlin from the Giants as their Coach. Someone like Coughlin could turn Allen into a lesser Reggie White, and Allen could single-handedly ruin our day.
Offline Pack93z  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:45:26 PM(UTC)
Rank: Select Member

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Applause Given: 429
Applause Received: 1,187
This is a excellent thread.. later tonight I hope to read carefully through it and then proceed to disagree tooth and nail with NP if I can. :lol:
Offline warhawk  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:47:20 PM(UTC)
Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 271
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Do you really think that Jared Allen is not going to have an effect on the game?


I guarantee you that a good size chunk of Mike McCarthy 's game plan in week 1 for us will be minimizing the effect of Jared Allen. We absolutely cannot allow him to ruin our passing game. He will be double teamed all day long, and you might see us run some quick screens to limit his effectiveness.
Mike McCarthy does a fabulous job at knowing opponent's strengths and weaknesses and adjusting accordingly. That's one of my favorite things about him as a Coach.


To your point the Packers were the ONLY team to not get manhandled by the pass rush of the Giants. We got beat but Favre was provided reasonable time for most of that game UNLIKE the train wreck they put on other teams like the "Boys and NE. I have to believe our guys were coached and prepared well going into that game.


You have to remember NO team has dominated our OL in pass protection in YEARS. We are traditionally one of the top five teams in sacks allowed and fewest pressures. These are the real numbers. Not just what someone hopes to see happen. If we allow two sacks in any one game that's a lot for us. Part of this was Favre but ARod displays a little flair for getting out of pressure as well.
Offline zombieslayer  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:18:33 PM(UTC)
Rank: Registered

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco
Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
" said: Go to Quoted Post

To your point the Packers were the ONLY team to not get manhandled by the pass rush of the Giants. We got beat but Favre was provided reasonable time for most of that game UNLIKE the train wreck they put on other teams like the "Boys and NE. I have to believe our guys were coached and prepared well going into that game.


You have to remember NO team has dominated our OL in pass protection in YEARS. We are traditionally one of the top five teams in sacks allowed and fewest pressures. These are the real numbers. Not just what someone hopes to see happen. If we allow two sacks in any one game that's a lot for us. Part of this was Favre but ARod displays a little flair for getting out of pressure as well.


I'm hoping Aaron learns to get rid of the ball faster. I've seen him hold on to the ball too long. I'm sure with experience, he'll overcome this.

Yes, part of this was Favre. How much of it was Favre? hard to say. I guess we find out when regular season starts.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
7 Pages«<4567>
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May): Packers annual shareholders meeting will be held on July 21 at 11 a.m.
Zero2Cool (2-May): Packers decline option on former first-round pick Datone Jones
Zero2Cool (2-May): For the public
Zero2Cool (2-May): OTA practices: May 24, June 2 and June 6
Smokey (1-May): Pecan Waffles !
gbguy20 (30-Apr): i like waffles
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr): mmm Waffles
IronMan (30-Apr): seriously. Waffle House
IronMan (30-Apr): Waffle House!
Mucky Tundra (29-Apr): In unrelated news, a six figure sum was wired to Dr James Andrews bank account in the Cayman Islands
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): Dr. James Andrews, who examined Myles Jack in December, told the UCLA LB today that he does not need micro-fracture surgery.
wpr (29-Apr): 64321 is still available
Mucky Tundra (29-Apr): thanks wpr, now i have to change it :(
wpr (29-Apr): Right. Mucky is 12346. Big difference.
Mucky Tundra (29-Apr): because i'm smarter than he is ;)
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): 12345 didn't fare well for Tunsil, what makes you think it will for you?
Mucky Tundra (29-Apr): I don't want to reset my password
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): First round is over. Reset your passwords.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr): Thompson on Clark: We thought he was the best player available.
IronMan (28-Apr): Brady won his appeal. no suspension.
Yerko (28-Apr): Happy Draft Day everyone!
Pack93z (28-Apr): Buckeye players that is... speaking of that, anyone see Buckeye around?
Pack93z (28-Apr): You certainly can have enough Buckeyes.... and 1 is probably too many. lol.
Zero2Cool (27-Apr): draft chat party tomorrow boys/girls welcome come all
wpr (27-Apr): Hawk is a FA
IronMan (27-Apr): AJ Hawk is still in the NFL?
FLORIDA PACKER88 (27-Apr): You can Never have Enough Buckeyes! Lets sign Lil animal Laurinitis and Hawk and put em both in the middle! ;)
wpr (26-Apr): 48 hrs until Christmas!
Zero2Cool (26-Apr): We have one too many Buckeye on the team already!!
Porforis (26-Apr): AJ Hawk released. Lol if the packers picked him up, would make for some spirited debate
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): Tom Brady re-suspended for four games. Boring.
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): and next year it'll take 24 seconds to do 2017 ;-)
Zero2Cool (25-Apr): 2016 NFL Pick'em schedule ... done!
IronMan (25-Apr): ball for 14 seconds and doesn't even get a shot off. lol
IronMan (25-Apr): So the Hawks call a TO with 15 seconds left, the coach scribbles some play down on the board. They inbound it to Teague and he holds the bal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout

Current Headlines

2016 Opponents
Sunday, Sep 11 @ 12:00 PM
at Jaguars
Sunday, Sep 18 @ 7:30 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Sep 25 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 2 @ 12:00 AM
BYE
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 7:30 PM
GIANTS
Sunday, Oct 16 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Thursday, Oct 20 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 30 @ 12:00 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Nov 6 @ 3:25 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Nov 13 @ 12:00 PM
at Titans
Sunday, Nov 20 @ 7:30 PM
at Redskins
Monday, Nov 28 @ 7:30 PM
at Eagles
Sunday, Dec 4 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Dec 11 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Dec 18 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Saturday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 1 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions

Think About It
Think About It

Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / OlHoss1884

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackerTraxx

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / FLORIDA PACKER88

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool


Tweeter