Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yerko  
#41 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:28:08 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 366
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I've had this odd feeling... with 7th round pick (#216 overall) WR Charles Johnson getting all this love from Packer fans every where... while 7th round pick (#224 overall) WR Kevin Dorsey is getting no attention...

The odd feeling I've had is that Dorsey will be the one sticking around longer... just simply based on the fact, it seems like often times when a late round pick is getting that much love from fans for every ever reason they don't last very long (because they dropped that far for a reason...)

It such seems like the late round picks with the most hype from the fans are always one of the first to go... such examples are...

2012: OT Andrew Datko

2011: DE/OLB Ricky Elmore

2009: OT Jamon Meredith

2007: WR David Clowney

2007: RB DeShawn Wynn (he did help, but he was gone sooner than his talent, but then again that's why he drafted to the 7th in the first place)

2006: WR Cory Rodgers

I think the love for Charles Johnson is because he is coming from a smaller school and who doesn't love a story like that?
In my Packers mock draft, I had *jokingly* put Charles Johnson there in the 7th just to match the story of another 7th round WR draft pick that had a lot of success in Green Bay. Aside from that, the kid has speed and good hands. I don't know much about Kevin Dorsey but I would like to see some contribution from both of them. They both have incredible speed (4.3 and 4.4).

If anything, both guys can add some depth and competition on special teams. I instantly thought of K/P return competition.

Offline PackerTraxx  
#42 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:56:48 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 223
I like both Dorsey and Johnson, it's that Johnson's measureables jump out at you. Of course, the odds are against them as it is with any late round draft choice. That's why they're late round draft choices. But there's always hope for another DD.
Offline nerdmann  
#43 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:12:48 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,246
Applause Received: 1,228
PackerTraxx said: Go to Quoted Post
I like both Dorsey and Johnson, it's that Johnson's measureables jump out at you. Of course, the odds are against them as it is with any late round draft choice. That's why they're late round draft choices. But there's always hope for another DD.

That's where I'm at with him. Say what you want about Clowney (who iirc is still in the league) and all these other dudes. But they don't have "Jerry Rice" measurables like Johnson.

Dude has the solid character to make the most of his chances too. Classic Ted Thompson guy.
Offline beast  
#44 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:35:52 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 461
Applause Received: 555
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
That's where I'm at with him. Say what you want about Clowney (who iirc is still in the league) and all these other dudes. But they don't have "Jerry Rice" measurables like Johnson.

Dude has the solid character to make the most of his chances too. Classic Ted Thompson guy.

Interesting the Bills signed Clowney .... Clowney also lead the NFL in pre-season games yardages a couple of years with the Jets (giving the Jets hope they were going to have a passing game)...

Ummm what do you mean by ""Jerry Rice" measurables"? .... you mean his height and weight? lots of guys have been big and not done well...

Anyways I hope they're both successful for the Packers. But it just bothers me a tad when players get this much hype because they don't seem to live up to it... like Ricky Elmore and Datko have had over the last two years.

Offline nerdmann  
#45 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:15:48 PM(UTC)

Interesting the Bills signed Clowney .... Clowney also lead the NFL in pre-season games yardages a couple of years with the Jets (giving the Jets hope they were going to have a passing game)...

Ummm what do you mean by ""Jerry Rice" measurables"? .... you mean his height and weight? lots of guys have been big and not done well...

Anyways I hope they're both successful for the Packers. But it just bothers me a tad when players get this much hype because they don't seem to live up to it... like Ricky Elmore and Datko have had over the last two years.

Height, weight, speed, quickness.
Offline sschind  
#46 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:23:49 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 314
Applause Received: 714

That's the one thing I don't like about the off season following the draft until the preseason games start. The media makes it seem like everyone from the star QB right down to the very last street free agent long snapper are going to be all pros. Pretty much everyone is a star during training camp.

Offline steveishere  
#47 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:58:06 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,460

Sam Shields got a lot of hype and he sure lived up to it. Not all of those guys are busts. A lot of those guys are still in the league at least even if it's on another team. Say what you want but for 7th round types any career longer than a couple years is pretty good.
Offline nerdmann  
#48 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:37:28 PM(UTC)

steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
Sam Shields got a lot of hype and he sure lived up to it. Not all of those guys are busts. A lot of those guys are still in the league at least even if it's on another team. Say what you want but for 7th round types any career longer than a couple years is pretty good.

Ted is the master of finding these guys, and our staff are masters at developing them. Happens EVERY year.

Shields, Walden, Moses, Barclay, DuJuan Harris, even back to Tramone Williams.
Offline beast  
#49 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:24:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 461
Applause Received: 555
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Height, weight, speed, quickness.

There where I'm not sure you're right comparing them to Rice. Didn't Rice run a rather slow 40 time? And these guys ran rather fast 40 times...

steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post

I believe I said late draft pick. Shields wasn't drafted.

And you're right sticking in the NFL on a 53 man roster is very good for a 7th round pick. But my point of it is they were off the Packers teams very quickly.
Offline nerdmann  
#50 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:03:33 PM(UTC)

There where I'm not sure you're right comparing them to Rice. Didn't Rice run a rather slow 40 time? And these guys ran rather fast 40 times...

I believe I said late draft pick. Shields wasn't drafted.

And you're right sticking in the NFL on a 53 man roster is very good for a 7th round pick. But my point of it is they were off the Packers teams very quickly.

Rice ran a 4.5 at the combine, iirc. Johnson ran a 4.3.
Rss Feed