Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline steveishere  
#26 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 6:20:57 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
You cannot win in this league rushing only 9 attempts for an entire game (vs. SF), or only 3 attempts in a half (vs. SEA).

Those comments after the IND game were from our own unnamed OL!

You can win a Superbowl with 11 rushing attempts for an entire game I think. When you are only getting 2 yards a run you aren't going to win a game by running 20 times either.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 6/10/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#27 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 9:48:55 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
You can win a Superbowl with 11 rushing attempts for an entire game I think. When you are only getting 2 yards a run you aren't going to win a game by running 20 times either.

Not sure what you are getting at. Yes, we won that SB with 11 carries by our RBs, mostly on Aaron's arm. Since that time, defenses have had us under the microscope and have played to stop that once vaunted passing attack. They've had more than two years of study on it, and we've all seen the results.

Add to that, we did win many games by rushing 20+ times for a couple of yards and a pile of dirt. Those rushes took the heat off of Rodgers and opened up our passing game, which is exactly my point.

Apparently, our own offensive line players felt differently than you about our first 5 games of last season. Funny, after the mismanagement of our running game became such an issue after that week 5 debacle in IND, we go down to HOU week 6 and pile in 29 rushes by our RBs and come away with a win, against a fierce HOU pass rush.

Regardless, we stopped running the ball for whatever reasons in 3 of our first 5 games last season and came away with losses in each of those 3 contests. We improved greatly from that point on by committing more to the run, even with subpar play by Jeff Saturday, and low ypc averages.

With the addition of Lacy and Franklin, and a retooling of our OL along with a renewed emphasis on the run, I see that scenario changing for the better in 2013, and hopefully, we get some of our backs stringing 100 yd games together. That will dramatically change our effectiveness on offense. Add to that what I anticipate will be an improved defense, and we should have a pretty successful season this year. While it is early, it looks like we're back in it as legit contenders for another Lombardi Trophy, and I hope we take it.

Keeping explosive players like Kaepernick off the field with some ball control by this Packers offense will go a long way towards our success.
yooperfan on 6/10/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#28 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 10:40:29 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

We've seen the results of what? The last 2 years we've still had one of the best offenses in the league despite not having any reliable or efficient running game.

Over half the runs against Houston came in the 4th quarter alone when the game was basically already over. That game was won off the back of the passing game.

We weren't going to beat the 49ers by pounding the running back for 2 yards a pop. What the team needs is not simply more runs it needs more efficient runs. There is a balance somewhere between running and passing yes but that balance is significantly skewed when you cannot run the ball efficiently. At some point passing the ball more is still better for the team than running for 0-2 yards. We've had nothing to rely on for 3 years as far as running backs. Hopefully this year is different and if it is I guarantee McCarthy will use it more (as he has in the past).
Dexter_Sinister on 6/10/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 11:52:57 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

Well Dexter_Sinister, that sounds good, but let's put this into perspective. We didn't lose Benson until week 5 against the Colts. Our 3rd loss in 5 games.

""I feel like we underachieved, to be frank," said coach Mike McCarthy. "And it starts with me."

Some of the offensive linemen wondered what McCarthy was up to by throwing on his first seven calls of the second half. It got him an interception and a punt, giving the moribund Colts hope and probably creating doubt among his players.

Later, it was a 41-yard gain - yes, on a good, old-fashioned running play - by Alex Green that provided the Packers a brief 27-22 lead. Then a monumental cave-in by the defense enabled Andrew Luck to drive 80 yards for the winning touchdown.

"We're up 21-3 at halftime and we sort of changed our game plan in the second half and we couldn't do (expletive)," an obviously angry guard T.J. Lang said. "They knew all we were doing was throwing the ball so they were coming with everything they had."

The Colts, 2-14 a year ago, overwhelmed Rodgers, his blockers and McCarthy's scheme in the second half. The five sacks, their most in a game since Week 4 of 2009, were the result of Rodgers' indecision on two and Marshall Newhouse, Tom Crabtree and Jeff Saturday just getting beat on the three others.

Cedric Benson's departure (mid-foot sprain) on the fourth play of the second quarter hurt. So did the losses of B.J. Raji (ankle) a series later and Jermichael Finley (shoulder) early in the third quarter."http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/173026821.html

We lost our 1st game of the season FAILING in the rushing dept. Cedric Benson was the ONLY RB to receive ANY carries, a grand total of 9!!! Holy crap!

We lost our 3rd game of the season FAILING in the rushing dept. 19 measly carries between Benson, Cobb and Kuhn for the entire game. Oh, let's do look at the 1st half! Rodgers was sacked EIGHT TIMES!!! McCarthy ran Benson 2 times in the first half and Cobb once, the only running plays we called. THREE rushes!!! Compared to 23 pass plays by Rodgers.

That's where stats lie, 17 carries in the game by Benson, 15 of which came in the 2nd half after Rodgers had been freaking killed... what the hell was McCarthy thinking? How could he let that happen, with a healthy Benson to go to? Unbelievable.

I'm hopeful this changes with the addition of Lacy and Franklin this season, and that we never again have to revisit this massive failure to run the football.

Let's look at the history of Mike's teams.

These teams always struggle early in the season. Even in the Superbowl year, they had to have that "come to Jesus" meeting. In '11 we went 15-1, but then again, they were airing it out that entire time, it's just that for the most part it was working. It doesn't always work that well.

It seems to me that Mike will be more prone to abandoning the run and stat whoring early in the season. That Seattle game should never even have been close.

And let's talk about that game. IF, we had put Seattle away instead of letting them tee of and not even pretend to guard the run, we win that game. AND, we get a playoff bye. We get a week's rest before we face the Niners. That's a HUGE difference.

But it just seems to me that this team struggles early in the season, every year. And it usually revolves around neglecting the run game. Mike will try to start playing for real in the playoffs, but in a situation like last year, the damage has already been done.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#30 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 12:44:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,096
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Let's look at the history of Mike's teams.

These teams always struggle early in the season. Even in the Superbowl year, they had to have that "come to Jesus" meeting. In '11 we went 15-1, but then again, they were airing it out that entire time, it's just that for the most part it was working. It doesn't always work that well.

It seems to me that Mike will be more prone to abandoning the run and stat whoring early in the season. That Seattle game should never even have been close.

And let's talk about that game. IF, we had put Seattle away instead of letting them tee of and not even pretend to guard the run, we win that game. AND, we get a playoff bye. We get a week's rest before we face the Niners. That's a HUGE difference.

But it just seems to me that this team struggles early in the season, every year. And it usually revolves around neglecting the run game. Mike will try to start playing for real in the playoffs, but in a situation like last year, the damage has already been done.

Kind of how the bye-week made such a difference the year before against the Giants? I don't see any way in which the Packers would have beaten the 49'ers last year. They were simply the better team, whether the Packers had another week of rest or not.

Regardless, I, and most others, would love to see more production out of the run game. Mike McCarthy gets away from it during critical moments at times, but I can sort of understand given the talent the the position he has been working with and Aaron Rodgers as QB. Now that he will hopefully have a decent backfield, I look forward to and expect him to be a more discipline play-caller.
Offline nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 2:44:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Kind of how the bye-week made such a difference the year before against the Giants? I don't see any way in which the Packers would have beaten the 49'ers last year. They were simply the better team, whether the Packers had another week of rest or not.

Regardless, I, and most others, would love to see more production out of the run game. Mike McCarthy gets away from it during critical moments at times, but I can sort of understand given the talent the the position he has been working with and Aaron Rodgers as QB. Now that he will hopefully have a decent backfield, I look forward to and expect him to be a more discipline play-caller.

We lost to them in Week 1, because we started Jarrett Bush at CB.

Plus we abandoned the run. Late in the year DuJuan was on a roll too.

I do not fear the Niners. I do believe they are for real. But so are we, at least talent level wise.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline macbob  
#32 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 7:34:05 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
The assertion that they don't like to run the ball is a myth.

The only thing they needed to have a better running game was any healthy backs. Which they didn't really have.

Seattle is also a fairly accomplished running D.

Oh, please. 1st half of the Seattle game we ran 30 offensive plays, 27 of them were passes. 1 running play in the first quarter (no gain), 2 running plays in the 2nd quarter (24 yds).

Our explosive, quick strike offense was shut out in the first half as we were losing 7-0 at half time.

McCarthy abandoned the run going into that game, not because we weren't having success running the ball but because it was his game plan. Fortunately, he adjusted at half time and in the second half, we ran the ball 18 times and outscored Seattle 12-0 (I refuse to count that last score). Not that we won because of the running per se, but because running the ball kept the Seattle DL from being able to pin their ears back and just go after AR, which made our passing game more effective.

He did the same thing in the second half of the SF playoff game last year. We ran 4 times in the second half (on the first two series), never ran it again the entire rest of the game. And it's not like we were well down and needed to just pass-pass-pass to catch up--SF had just scored to take the lead when we abandoned the run. What made it more frustrating was we had run the ball effectively in the first & second half, including DuJuan Harris' 18 yard TD run in the first half.

We could run the ball, we just decided to abandon the run. That's not a myth.

UserPostedImage
play2win on 6/11/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#33 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 9:04:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
Oh, please. 1st half of the Seattle game we ran 30 offensive plays, 27 of them were passes. 1 running play in the first quarter (no gain), 2 running plays in the 2nd quarter (24 yds).

Our explosive, quick strike offense was shut out in the first half as we were losing 7-0 at half time.

McCarthy abandoned the run going into that game, not because we weren't having success running the ball but because it was his game plan. Fortunately, he adjusted at half time and in the second half, we ran the ball 18 times and outscored Seattle 12-0 (I refuse to count that last score). Not that we won because of the running per se, but because running the ball kept the Seattle DL from being able to pin their ears back and just go after AR, which made our passing game more effective.

He did the same thing in the second half of the SF playoff game last year. We ran 4 times in the second half (on the first two series), never ran it again the entire rest of the game. And it's not like we were well down and needed to just pass-pass-pass to catch up--SF had just scored to take the lead when we abandoned the run. What made it more frustrating was we had run the ball effectively in the first & second half, including DuJuan Harris' 18 yard TD run in the first half.

But in fairness, they racked up some pretty decent stats.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#34 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 9:38:15 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Who abandoned the run? Who decided to not run the ball?
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline play2win  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:13:45 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Ultimately, I would say that is on McCarthy. He runs everything on that O. It all goes through him. And if it is not what he wants, it is his charge to change it.

I know you are asking if it might be Rodgers checking to pass in run/pass option plays. McCarthy must have a handle on that stuff.
Offline DoddPower  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:40:55 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

We lost to them in Week 1, because we started Jarrett Bush at CB.

Plus we abandoned the run. Late in the year DuJuan was on a roll too.

I do not fear the Niners. I do believe they are for real. But so are we, at least talent level wise.

Oh I think the Packers can beat the 49'ers, especially when somewhat healthy. But not in the playoffs last year. At that point, they were the better team in most every way. Fortunately for the Packers, every season is a new story.

Offline macbob  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:53:59 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

McCarthy in the first half of the Seattle game. He scripts the first 15 or so plays. That's 100% on him.

And my bet is primarily McCarthy in the SF game, too, though Aaron Rodgers undoubtedly audibled out of some runs, too. The formations we came out in were almost exclusively shotgun (both 1st half of Seattle game and 2nd half of SF game). The 4 runs in the second half of the SF game were all draws out of the shotgun.

UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:30:10 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

McCarthy in the first half of the Seattle game. He scripts the first 15 or so plays. That's 100% on him.

And my bet is primarily McCarthy in the SF game, too, though Aaron Rodgers undoubtedly audibled out of some runs, too. The formations we came out in were almost exclusively shotgun (both 1st half of Seattle game and 2nd half of SF game). The 4 runs in the second half of the SF game were all draws out of the shotgun.

Do you know what the play calls actually were?

The majority of McCartheys plays are RUN/PASS options. The plays direction is in Rodgers hands a great deal.

He makes the read and decides to run or throw based on how he feels he can best exploit the D.

Our first drive against the 49ers we had 3 runs for 6 yards. The next 3 rushes produced 6 more.

Do you really think we could have beat them sticking with that running game?

Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:38:11 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Ultimately, I would say that is on McCarthy. He runs everything on that O. It all goes through him. And if it is not what he wants, it is his charge to change it.

I know you are asking if it might be Rodgers checking to pass in run/pass option plays. McCarthy must have a handle on that stuff.

McCarthey leaves that to the QB.

Specially Rodgers.

In post game PCs, McCarthey has said that he would have preferred to have run more, but he left it in Rodgers hands. That was a couple years ago.

I doubt he has suddenly started trusting Rodgers less and micro managing him more.

Offline play2win  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:16:21 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

This is all such horse hockey. Just run the damn ball...

Finally, we have the RBs to take our running game to levels we may not have seen in GB since Taylor & Hornung. If your QB is checking out to much in order to pass, and getting himself in trouble, the HC can pull him aside, or get in his ear and adjust accordingly. As a matter of fact, McCarthy has an obligation as HC to do so. Ball control will keep Kaepernick off the filed. It is that simple. Fundamental football.
Offline DoddPower  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:52:50 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

McCarthey leaves that to the QB.

Specially Rodgers.

In post game PCs, McCarthey has said that he would have preferred to have run more, but he left it in Rodgers hands. That was a couple years ago.

I doubt he has suddenly started trusting Rodgers less and micro managing him more.

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, it's Mike McCarthy's responsibility. If Rodgers is not running the ball enough, than McCarthy needs to change that. He's the head coach, not Rodgers. He has to manufacture a run game. I don't mind so much last season when the Packers didn't have much talent at running back and was playing a stout defense, but that should not be the case this year. Rodgers is an elite passer. I have no doubt he would rather pass the vast majority of the time rather than run. He needs some check-and-balance from his head coach if he is, in fact, going with the pass option calls too often. Considering the amount of sub-packages (nickel/dime) the Packers face, there's no doubt in my mind they could run more, at times.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 6/12/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 6/15/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:04:51 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

This is all such horse hockey. Just run the damn ball...

Finally, we have the RBs to take our running game to levels we may not have seen in GB since Taylor & Hornung. If your QB is checking out to much in order to pass, and getting himself in trouble, the HC can pull him aside, or get in his ear and adjust accordingly. As a matter of fact, McCarthy has an obligation as HC to do so. Ball control will keep Kaepernick off the filed. It is that simple. Fundamental football.

Bet you a dollar it doesn't happen.
Offline play2win  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:19:16 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

YOU ARE ON BRO! Laughing
nerdmann on 6/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:42:25 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, it's Mike McCarthy's responsibility. If Rodgers is not running the ball enough, than McCarthy needs to change that. He's the head coach, not Rodgers. He has to manufacture a run game. I don't mind so much last season when the Packers didn't have much talent at running back and was playing a stout defense, but that should not be the case this year. Rodgers is an elite passer. I have no doubt he would rather pass the vast majority of the time rather than run. He needs some check-and-balance from his head coach if he is, in fact, going with the pass option calls too often. Considering the amount of sub-packages (nickel/dime) the Packers face, there's no doubt in my mind they could run more, at times.

In the SF game, they started running the ball, but Benson was a dog and we had nobody else.

In the Seattle game, I am pretty sure that McCarthey addressed it at half time. Rogers did hand it off a bit more.

But they still didn't have much for a RB.

They actually ran a lot at the end of the year. Because it was working and Harris was getting yards.

I don't think they need to run more. They need to run better. When they know you have to run it, you need to be able to hand it off and grind out some tough yards.

Having actual running backs will be a start.

Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:44:46 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

I doubt they run more.

But I don't doubt they will run better.

Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:51:40 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

They don't need to run more. They need to run better.

With nobody healthy, it wasn't a viable option. To stubbornly hand it off when Benson can only get 2 yards per is not better than what Rodgers can do without any running game.

No, I didn't consider Benson a healthy RB. Even when he was healthy.

Offline DoddPower  
#47 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:47:52 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

They don't need to run more. They need to run better.

With nobody healthy, it wasn't a viable option. To stubbornly hand it off when Benson can only get 2 yards per is not better than what Rodgers can do without any running game.

No, I didn't consider Benson a healthy RB. Even when he was healthy.

And I get that to a degree as well. But 2-3 yards per carry followed by a 40-50 yard run can still lead to a nice average yards per carry (such as 15 runs for a 2 yard gain + a 50 yard gain). That's how the running game works sometimes. The play-caller has to patient and pound the rock. Eventually, a big chunk is likely to come lose (from the metaphorical rock). Running a few times for 2-3 yard gains and then just saying "ahh fuck it, let's just pass" isn't a good situation to be in, even with an elite quarterback.

As I said, I didn't mind so much last year with the talent that was available at the running back position and against a stout defense like the 49'ers. However, I can see similar things happening this season, and that's what I don't like. Hopefully I'm wrong. I understand this team NEEDS to be a pass first team given the personnel, but more patience is need in the run game, especially at specific times.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#48 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:51:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Rumor has it, Packers are contacting Tonya Harding ...
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#49 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:01:43 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

And I get that to a degree as well. But 2-3 yards per carry followed by a 40-50 yard run can still lead to a nice average yards per carry (such as 15 runs for a 2 yard gain + a 50 yard gain). That's how the running game works sometimes. The play-caller has to patient and pound the rock. Eventually, a big chunk is likely to come lose (from the metaphorical rock). Running a few times for 2-3 yard gains and then just saying "ahh fuck it, let's just pass" isn't a good situation to be in, even with an elite quarterback.

As I said, I didn't mind so much last year with the talent that was available at the running back position and against a stout defense like the 49'ers. However, I can see similar things happening this season, and that's what I don't like. Hopefully I'm wrong. I understand this team NEEDS to be a pass first team given the personnel, but more patience is need in the run game, especially at specific times.

Big chunks are useless. You don't need big numbers. You need consistent production. Just like Passer rating vs Passing yards. Yards don't win, efficient passing does.

The 50+ yard runs don't win games. When you need 3 yards and the D knows you are going to run, you have to be able to get it.

Getting 2 yards a carry for 18 carries and with a couple 60 yard carries mixed in, you get a great average, but you were completely useless for 90% of the game. Which means you will get a lot of 3 and outs and fail to score.

If it is 3rd and 4 and you're going to get 2 yards 90% of the time, you can't depend on that running game.

Similar to what? To when we didn't have any RBs?

Or when we were top 5 in attempts and Harris put up 4.6 per?

Offline dfosterf  
#50 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:21:47 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 430

We need a running game and the threat of a running game. I have no real complaints about Mike McCarthy's play-calling as regards "abandoning the run" . You got the best passer in the league, a shit-box-line that cannot even keep from holding, much-less open a hole...

We need a running game to put these games away. It takes a toll on the defense when we can't run, also. A big toll.

We know Rodgers can deal with just about every situation, but wouldn't it be better if (FOR ONCE) he didn't have to?

The only reason we have "sustained" drives is because our line fucked up the first two plays and Rodgers and our receiving corps bailed us out on 3rd down, repeatedly.

That aspect is a pleasure to witness (3rd and 11, Rodgers runnin' the show, no problem.) Tough on my heart, though, the 1st two downs are drivin' me, lol

To this day I cannot discern if we have had good running backs or not. I DON'T SEE A HOLE FOR THEM TO GET THROUGH, when they don't.

Message modified by user Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:42:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Rss Feed